Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CptZaphodB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
So I've been searching all day for a good solution to my issue, found a thread on this forum that had answers but not as good as I've been hoping for.

Here's my predicament.

I used to play A-10 Attack all the time when I was younger, and ever since the only machine that could run it died, I've been having insane troubles replacing it with another flight simulator, basically because nothing can replace it. As of now, I'm dual-booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10, so I'm not exactly the village idiot when it comes to computers, but for clarity, I would like to be considered a casual computer user so that nobody assumes I know anything super advanced aside from $ sudo apt-get blahblahblah. Assume I know how to use a computer but not how to program.

Now, to get to the point. There is technically a version of A-10 Cuba that runs on Windows 7. But without sound. That drives me insane not having sound, so I need a different solution. Any ideas?

My original idea was to use the source and try to learn how to modify and compile it to run in Linux if not Windows, but considering it's not open source to the best of my knowledge, that would be rather difficult, if not impossible. I've looked up emulators and such, but having a machine that revolves around AMD (processor, ATI graphics), emulators have never done very well, despite the 2.7 GHz hexacore processor and 12 gigs of RAM. So I'm looking at that as last resort, but even then I want a stable solution.

Any help would be appreciated. And also, I don't exactly have a copy of OS 9 laying around either, nor do I have any money.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Dude...A-10 rocks...

I'm trying to PM you. People have it up and running in Sheepshaver, and somebody said they have A-10 Cuba running in Basilisk II (wow!).

PM me if you can...

CptZaphodB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
I actually have no idea how to PM on this forum, so I sent you a friend request instead.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
It appears new users are not allowed to PM.

Let me try that friend thing...

----------

I actually have no idea how to PM on this forum, so I sent you a friend request instead.

Well the friend thing didn't seem to work...

Just check out this page:
http://macintoshgarden.org/games/a-10-attack

and then google Sheepshaver Wordperfect User Group...they have a working Sheepshaver disk already set up, so you don't have to muck around to get it running...

CptZaphodB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
The only working SheepShaver disk I found from them is one for Mac OS X. I only have Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10. I may have to set it up myself.

CptZaphodB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
I got it working!! That was insanely easy to set up too, and super smooth! Thank you!

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Insanely easy? You know, it's been a while...I might have to try this myself...that way I don't have to boot up my old Mac(s)!

Glad it worked!

CptZaphodB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
That last link you gave me literally provided the install for Basilisk II with the OS 7.5.5 ROM included. There were 3 setup steps, then after that it booted no problem. After you get it started there's no reason to install the software they have a tutorial on, because it's just software, not part of the install. But yeah, super smooth! Already today I went through training and the first two missions, but I'm struggling because I realized as a kid I always put No Wind and Indestructible Aircraft.... Definitely a challenge :D

Anyway, my next question is, is it possible to play a network game in A-10 Attack, or A-10 Cuba even, using this emulator?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.