Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
My daugther, when she's born. She only need 1-2 hrs max for the hypothermia treatment and then have the cot next to my wife's bed.

Can't see the appeal with this "feature". Somewhat useless imo.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
That kid has a serious case of Frankenbaby.

actually looks like a pretty normal newborn. if you're referring to the squeezed head, that is normal for vaginal delivery - the head literally gets squeezed and becomes oblong to fit through and rounds out in the first few months of life.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
My daugther, when she's born. She only need 1-2 hrs max for the hypothermia treatment and then have the cot next to my wife's bed.

That's great for you, and I'm glad that your daughter was healthy. However, like many others have posted, when a baby is born early or is very ill, they're put into the NICU. Some have very strict limits on visitation, depending on what's wrong and also the mother's ability to go visit. Many babies spend months in the NICU. So while this wouldn't have been useful in your situation, for some parents it would give them some much needed peace of mind.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Rather have the baby in the hands of the mother. Screw that virtual stuff and the whole "not allowed to touch the newborn" crap :p

Guess you missed the part where these are NICU babies etc sometimes with mothers that could spread an infection to their own child and, depending in the baby's condition, kill it.

Not just denying them their kids for the heck of it

----------

This is all well and good at first: see your baby on-screen twice a day. But eventually you're still going to have to touch the hideous thing! Again and again. Day after day after day. This is at best a very limited solution to the baby problem.

Another person that didn't bother reading the article. Geesh

----------

Just because you were blessed with a child that didn't have to spend days in the NICU doesn't mean it is useless.m

Maybe this isn't the best system or the best tech but they are trying to do something. So how about the negativity and tasteless jokes just stop. If it is not something that interests you then don't waste your time reading the article etc

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
My daughter was born about 5 weeks early and had to spend a full week in the NICU.

You folks without kids can't begin to understand how horrible it is to have a child locked away in a room, far away from you, connected to tubes and plastic warming trays, constantly afraid for it while you're simultaneously trying to heal from surgery (Sections, while they have a very high success rate, are still surgery; you're tired and on pain killers and unable to eat).

Adding separation anxiety on top of all of this is a real problem. I had ducked out of the hospital for a few hours to catch a nap and the panicked phone call I got from my wife is something indescribably terrible. Nothing was wrong, but the shock of everything and her re-balancing hormones put her in a place of fear I've never seen before.

Anything science can do in this area is appreciated. I know, it's another health care cost, but it's peanuts compared to the peace of mind of already stressed mothers, and might help free up a hospital bed (sections get a max 4 day stay in NY and you stay the ENTIRE time, because otherwise you go home without your baby).

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I'm pretty amazed by some of the ridiculously ignorant comments on this one (and yes, it helps to actually read the content before making comments that make you look like a jackass).

This was exactly the situation we had when my son was born. He was held in the NICU for four days. When he was born in the morning my wife saw him for just a few minutes, then he was taken away for tests then to the NICU. Any baby in the NICU generally isn't allowed to leave other than being taken for tests. My wife had a C section and it took a long time for the epidural to wear off and for her to be able to get out of bed into a wheelchair, much less walk. She didn't end up being able to see our son until late that night, it was horrible for her being stuck in the room with no way to see the baby. I spent the day going to the NICU, taking pictures and shooting video, then bringing it back to my wife's room and showing her on the TV. For us it was thankfully just one day, but even that was torture, and for some families it can be days or even longer.

Having this obviously is no substitute for being able to see and hold your new baby, but this would have been an incredible improvement. I'm glad they have this and wish it was around when we had our son.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Rather have the baby in the hands of the mother. Screw that virtual stuff and the whole "not allowed to touch the newborn" crap :p

From the article, this didn't seem like it was meant to replace holding the baby, but would be used in case when the mother couldn't hold the baby due to complications.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa

Of course.:rolleyes:

Just because a you felt no need for this in your situation does not mean that this would not be useful to other parents with say, a 23 week ega baby or a baby born with other complications that would necessitated a lengthy NICU stay.

Jeez, some people need to look outside their own perceptions and be more empathaic to the needs of others.

I've worked in NICU for 5 1/2 years and been with parents in conferences as they were given bad news/difficult decisions to make and I've also provided emotional support and couselling to parents as their babies are/dying or have died-some of the flippant replies on this thread are horrible.

Really sad.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
You guys are way to serious on the internet ;) everyone knows that there are cases where the baby cannot be touched :cool:

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
I'm pretty amazed by some of the ridiculously ignorant comments on this one (and yes, it helps to actually read the content before making comments that make you look like a jackass).

This was exactly the situation we had when my son was born. He was held in the NICU for four days. When he was born in the morning my wife saw him for just a few minutes, then he was taken away for tests then to the NICU. Any baby in the NICU generally isn't allowed to leave other than being taken for tests. My wife had a C section and it took a long time for the epidural to wear off and for her to be able to get out of bed into a wheelchair, much less walk. She didn't end up being able to see our son until late that night, it was horrible for her being stuck in the room with no way to see the baby. I spent the day going to the NICU, taking pictures and shooting video, then bringing it back to my wife's room and showing her on the TV. For us it was thankfully just one day, but even that was torture, and for some families it can be days or even longer.

Having this obviously is no substitute for being able to see and hold your new baby, but this would have been an incredible improvement. I'm glad they have this and wish it was around when we had our son.

Thank you for the post, and the one from dasmb, I feel for both of you for having to spend time in NICU. Both of my sons were born early, 7 weeks/6 weeks, and both spent several weeks in NICU (3 weeks/2 weeks) and it was the worst thing in the world. Pretty much everything you described above is what my wife went through. She had a C-Section and was wasn't able to see her baby right away because of the testing and inability to get in a wheelchair. This is no substitute but I would have been over the moon if we had something like this for either one of our sons. A+ for Hospitals adapting technology like this in the right situations.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I've worked in NICU for 5 1/2 years and been with parents in conferences as they were given bad news/difficult decisions to make and I've also provided emotional support and couselling to parents as their babies are/dying or have died-

You probably also had a lot of parents who were totally freaking out and no matter what you said to try to assure them that Junior is just fine they just weren't going to believe it until they could see the baby for themselves. Especially mothers. it's a natural reaction. And I bet it broke your heart to have to put your foot and say they could not go into the room. THAT is the kind of thing this effort is about and clumsy as it might be for the moment its better than nothing.

Brother Esau

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Great....so let me see if I understand this correctly, one of the first things that a new human life see's is a computer?

WOW that is so wrong on so many levels! New Born Babies being indoctrinated as soon as their eyes open....not cool at all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.