Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:03 AM   #26
Trvlngnrs
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebct View Post
Do you mean Network data or actual storage on the device? If the former, because I use Spotify premium, most of my music that I listen to is within offline playlists. I mostly search for new music when using wi-fi.
I was referring to the network data. I thought that if a song was 10mb, it would take 10mb worth of data usage to listen to it. After reading these replies, I'm thinking I'm in error since so many people do it.

So with Spotify you download the song into your device to listen to later?
Trvlngnrs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 08:10 AM   #27
kmichalec
macrumors 6502

OP - Not 100% sure what you meant by your initial question. Are you talking about using an old iPhone as a iPod with no service after you upgrade to a new phone? Or are you asking if you should use a new iPhone as an iPod?

If the first (old iPhone with no service as iPod), that's exactly what I did, as I gave my old iPhone4 to my daughter as an iPod, but just turned off the cellular service, so it's connected to the internet only when she's on WiFi.

If you are asking the second question (use new iPhone as an iPod), well, that's the whole point of an iPhone! It's a phone and an iPod in one device (among other things). Why carry two devices? Is there a reason why you would ask if you should use a device that is a Phone and an iPod as an iPod? Are we missing something more to your question?
kmichalec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 08:40 AM   #28
Sebct
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvlngnrs View Post
I was referring to the network data. I thought that if a song was 10mb, it would take 10mb worth of data usage to listen to it. After reading these replies, I'm thinking I'm in error since so many people do it.

So with Spotify you download the song into your device to listen to later?
Ah ok. And yep download the songs onto my device so I don't even have to have any network signal. Good for flights, tube etc.

If I'm streaming and I like a song, I'll 'star' it and then it would automatically download to my device, and all my devices running spotify. I can then add it to a playlist when I can be bother to sort it out!

iPad Air - iPhone 5S - MBP 17", 2.4 Ghz - iMac 20" - MBA 13" 2011 - Mac Pro - Dual Apple 30" Displays
Sebct is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:45 AM   #29
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

I've done away with an iPod a long time ago ever since I got my iPhone. No need for it.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:55 AM   #30
ALMF
macrumors regular

I use my iPhone 4 as an iPod now
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:42 AM   #31
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc55 View Post
I'm at the point where I need a new iPod, but am thinking of upgrading to a 32GB iPhone and using that as my iPod, and am wondering how many of you guys have basically done away with the need for an iPod?
I use and iPhone, an iPhone as an iPod and a couple of iPods. Does it really matter what others do or do not? Do whatever works for you.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:43 AM   #32
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Constantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc55 View Post
I'm at the point where I need a new iPod, but am thinking of upgrading to a 32GB iPhone and using that as my iPod, and am wondering how many of you guys have basically done away with the need for an iPod?
My last iPod was the 20 gig 4th generation. My 32gig iPhone5 works great as an iPod and should have gotten 64 gig.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:15 PM   #33
jcpb
macrumors 6502a

Vanilla iPods don't have GPS. iPhones do.

Easy answer.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:15 PM   #34
marc55
macrumors 6502

Thanks guys for the replies. Just got the iPhone 5, 32GB.
marc55 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 08:48 PM   #35
markthrash
macrumors regular

Totally the main reason I got an iPhone in the first place was so I don't have to carry 2 devices with me, especially when going to the gym or running. So I'm on a 32GB iPhone 5 right now. I have 5 gigs left though, so I might need to upgrade to a 64 soon. I keep downloading and downloading. I used to survive on an 8GB with the 3G.
-Apple TV 3rd Generation
markthrash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:51 AM   #36
DougFNJ
macrumors 6502a

I have always had Verizon. I used to carry my Treo and a 64GB iPod Touch, then a BBerry, and that iPod Touch, Droid Incredible, then Droid X.....and the iPod Touch. When they released the iPhone for Verizon, I was stoked that I didn't have to carry a second device all the time, I was a little disappointed at the 32GB as it forced me to not carry a portion of my collection and downgrade the files that were on it, but when they introduced the 64GB 4S, I was even happier, a pocket computer that carries my entire collection.

Now if they could pull off a 128GB 5S I will be in absolute heaven as I regularly have to keep deleting things to keep 2 gigs free.....would love to have my entire Video collection on it as well
Old Jul 2, 2013, 06:12 AM   #37
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

The reason I got an iPhone was to get rid of the ipod in one pocket and the flip phone in the other. I thought that was half the point of an iPhone...
Old Jul 2, 2013, 06:20 AM   #38
hexonxonx
Banned

In the car, I use my 160GB Classic so that I can keep my iPhone in my pocket.

Plus, I bring my iPad Mini with me and my Nexus 7 to work with me every day.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who hasn't cut down on gadgets.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:45 AM   #39
terrywfoster
macrumors regular

Yes and no. The 64gb iPhone is not large enough to hold what I would carry around so I use my 160gb classic iPod still.
terrywfoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:43 AM   #40
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
The reason I got an iPhone was to get rid of the ipod in one pocket and the flip phone in the other. I thought that was half the point of an iPhone...
I think the problem for the average user is that they're hearing conflicting things about how great the cloud is [spoiler alert, it's not and even if it's half as good as they claim it's still 100% dependent on data connection] and how the iPhone/smartphones in general will give you "1 awesome device to hold all your media, photos, apps, etc." Unfortunately, the former isn't robust enough for me to trust it beyond....well, actually I don't trust it at all, while the lowest storage option isn't going to get you beyond photos and apps to be realistic. Buy as big as you can for local storage, no one ever laments that they have too much space on their device. Additionally, local storage significantly boosts battery life as well an decreases data usage.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:51 AM   #41
aenflex
macrumors newbie

I haven't used an iPod, or any dedicated music player in years and years. Since my first smartphone, really. Having iPhone 5, I can't see the reason for an iPod, apart from caring less about potential damage when working out or hiking or something.
aenflex is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone