Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

View Poll Results: Animations slower than iOS 6?
Yes 62 50.00%
No 45 36.29%
Haven't noticed! 17 13.71%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:20 PM   #26
johnrohr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNotion View Post
The questions in everyone's mind is whether ios7 will slow down iPhone 5 and also will it eat up battery life...
Not sure users on the 5 will experience many speed issues, however 4s users will certainly experience speed issues.
johnrohr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:24 PM   #27
mattdo93
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SJ
Send a message via AIM to mattdo93
There are bigger problems in the world than this
mattdo93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 01:27 PM   #28
zbarvian
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
The OS is definitely slower than iOS 6. I've replicated the video shown two posts prior and found the following: opening animations for apps is causing a protracted delay, as is folder opening speed. Another thing very interesting to me is that despite the Safari improvements in regards to JavaScript performance, rendering seems to be slightly slower (arguably more important). However, this is offset by a pre-loading of the top sites, similar to Chrome.

I don't know why they're releasing iOS 7 like this. The built in dictionary still has the iOS 6 look every now and then, and there are graphical glitches and animation slowdowns everywhere.
zbarvian is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 03:01 PM   #29
Krissypantz2828
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnamak View Post
Are you aware of the fact that not everything you say has to end in an exclamation point?
Oh really! I didn't know that! Thanks for pointing that out!! You seem to have very good observation skills!!!!!!!!!!!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross1998 View Post
It feels like apple purposely makes them slower on older devices so the device would feel slow and outdated so you would upgrade.
Yes I agree.
Krissypantz2828 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 03:08 PM   #30
C DM
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stooovie View Post
OMG, I can't comprehend how people don't realize the difference between duration and performance.

Duration is fixed. These animations take the exact same amount of time on every supported device.

Performance/fluidity is different. Older device render these animations at lower framerates, but they always take the se amount of time. Simple.
Bingo. It's not really performance related or anything like that, it comes down to a couple of things: duration and interruptibility. The animations are now longer (for no real useful reason) and can't be interrupted (also for no real useful reason). That's really the underlying issue, at least for those to whom something like this matters, which is quite a few people.
C DM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 03:10 PM   #31
gordon1234
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Ugh, yes. I just straight from iOS 6 to iOS 7 GM (clean install), and the animations are driving me crazy. The slowness is annoying, but what really kills me is that you cannot interact with the UI until animations completely stop (and seemingly they have to have been stopped for about a half-second before you can tap anything). Whenever I unlock my phone, I generally find myself pressing 2-3 times on an icon on the phone screen before the press actually registers. Same with app switcher. I scroll through, see the app I want, tap it, and nothing happens since the scrolling animation was still in effect, I have to wait until it's perfectly stationary, then carefully tape the icon, taking care not to move it at all.

There's no reason I shouldn't be able to interact with an item in motion before it's come to a complete stop (well, there are technical reasons why this is more challenging, none of them insurmountable.)
gordon1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 03:13 PM   #32
C DM
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus Alba View Post
I've actually tested the opening/closing app animation speed and it's exactly the same as in iOS 6.

It just seems slower because it's a different animation, I guess.

In the early betas the animation speed was definitely much slower, though.
There's more to it and there are other animations in play as well. The fact that the animations can't be interrupted is another factor too. When compared to iOS 6 you can feel the difference in timing--it's definitely more than just a difference in the animation itself (even if that might be contributing something to it too).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lienhart View Post
While watching a video of the 5S, the speed of animations were MUCH faster, probably around 100% as fast. I don't get it, since the 5 is fast enough. I don't think iOS 7 really requires that much power... I'm confused.
No matter how much smoother they might be (which is what performance might affect) they will still take as long as they are designed to take, even on the fastest thing out there. The point is that they've been designed to be longer in iOS 7 (mostly for looks it would seem).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross1998 View Post
It feels like apple purposely makes them slower on older devices so the device would feel slow and outdated so you would upgrade.
So, there must be proof out there of this, right? More than just what people might think simply because it might fit.
C DM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 03:18 PM   #33
Krissypantz2828
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
The only thing I miss about android is that we were able to control the animation speed and style in some roms or operating systems. It was completely up to us that's the point.
Krissypantz2828 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 03:44 PM   #34
jr866gooner
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
I have an iPhone 4 what is the plan with IOS7? Should I be backing up to I cloud beforehand and then upgrade? Or delay until a few days have passed to iron out bugs?

Also how will it perform for us? I understand we're getting a slimmed down iOS 7.
jr866gooner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2013, 03:47 PM   #35
C DM
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr866gooner View Post
I have an iPhone 4 what is the plan with IOS7? Should I be backing up to I cloud beforehand and then upgrade? Or delay until a few days have passed to iron out bugs?

Also how will it perform for us? I understand we're getting a slimmed down iOS 7.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1633905
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 02:33 PM   #36
ManuelNYC
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
the truth is that, YES ios7 is slower...... but it's slower because apple wants it to be slower, this os should be fast even in iphone 4, iphone 4 has a powerful and fast processor which should run the os super fast..... apple makes old phones run slower because they want people to buy the new one! #fact and #proved

I can't believe my iphone 5 runs this slow with this new ios, some apps stay freezed for about a second before they open the animation to open the app, when going from portrait to landscape 'keyboard activated' the screen runs in slo-mo dropping frames and lagging....... so we can now sadly say 'we have an android skinned iOS running in our iphones'

if iphone 5c runs as slow as our iphone 5, we should make apple exchange our faulty iphone 5..... cause hey, they say iphone 5c is the same phone as iphone 5!

Last edited by ManuelNYC; Sep 15, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
ManuelNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 05:06 PM   #37
C DM
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelNYC View Post
the truth is that, YES ios7 is slower...... but it's slower because apple wants it to be slower, this os should be fast even in iphone 4, iphone 4 has a powerful and fast processor which should run the os super fast..... apple makes old phones run slower because they want people to buy the new one! #fact and #proved

I can't believe my iphone 5 runs this slow with this new ios, some apps stay freezed for about a second before they open the animation to open the app, when going from portrait to landscape 'keyboard activated' the screen runs in slo-mo dropping frames and lagging....... so we can now sadly say 'we have an android skinned iOS running in our iphones'

if iphone 5c runs as slow as our iphone 5, we should make apple exchange our faulty iphone 5..... cause hey, they say iphone 5c is the same phone as iphone 5!
Any actual evidence that proves any of that, beyond just observations, theories, etc.? Simply throwing in words "fact" or "proved" doesn't suddenly make something a fact or proved. ;-)
C DM is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 06:01 PM   #38
xxfrozenrayxx
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Any actual evidence that proves any of that, beyond just observations, theories, etc.? Simply throwing in words "fact" or "proved" doesn't suddenly make something a fact or proved. ;-)
I don't know, did you see the hashtags? #prettylegit

On iPhone 4S and iOS7GM is uh...pretty jittery :/
xxfrozenrayxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I've Got EXTRA Slow Animations Small White Car iOS 7 11 Nov 6, 2013 12:43 AM
Why iOS 7 will drive some of you nuts: UI lag due to slow animations [video inside] PBF iOS 7 337 Oct 14, 2013 09:41 PM
Ios 7 animations on 5S are TOO slow? Any agree? DBZmusicboy01 iPhone 2 Sep 10, 2013 06:43 PM
Is iOS 7 "ruined" by overuse of white and/or slow animations? ra4oasis iOS 7 18 Aug 22, 2013 03:26 PM
Slow animations Markov OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 6 Feb 6, 2013 11:28 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC