Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:53 AM   #126
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
No more than any other illegal activity in any other country.

The Chinese government takes child labor laws very seriously.

You are misinformed if you believe otherwise.

Sent from my iPad, from Suzhou, China
I think you need to read some of the non Chinese censored reports.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:07 AM   #127
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
I think you need to read some of the non Chinese censored reports.
I spend half my year in China, every year, in the high tech manufacturing sector. My observations are personal, not scrubbed or biased.
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:10 AM   #128
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

So they're coming to America?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKYl6y8qGqw
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:11 AM   #129
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
No, just saying that is what's on the books - it's ironic the United States has a lot of loop holes in it's own child labour laws...i.e. kids as young as 12 years old work 10+ hours a day on farms:

http://www.hrw.org/support-care
Youth of any age may work at any time in any job on a farm owned or operated by their parent.

It's farm life. Not a a factory. Huge difference. Under 16 can work no more than 18 hours a week in a normal, non-ag job.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:24 AM   #130
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
I spend half my year in China, every year, in the high tech manufacturing sector. My observations are personal, not scrubbed or biased.
Did you miss the report 2 months ago of an Apple supplier using child labor and keeping these kids out of school in order to work on the line? The government only stepped in after a HR org reported it.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:42 AM   #131
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Did you miss the report 2 months ago of an Apple supplier using child labor and keeping these kids out of school in order to work on the line? The government only stepped in after a HR org reported it.
Yes, there are problems in China - not surprising considering the speed at which the country is growing and changing. But things are 100x better now than a couple decades ago. Things will only improve.

Child labour is an anomaly and not the norm in China.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:59 AM   #132
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Of course not.

I also know this is not common.

I would bet money that in the last year there have been child laborers in the US as well - who have not been reported and not made news because its not sensational to people who hate the Chinese.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:17 AM   #133
ozziegn
macrumors 6502a

It'll never happen....

Everyone knows that Foxconn pays their employees literally pennies on the dollar for wages. and everyone also knows we as (sometimes lazy) Americans have been spoiled in to thinking we deserve a much higher pay grade than what our actual skill levels show or prove.

that being that, how can Apple produce the same product here in the US that they produce in China w/o cutting in to their profits when it comes to paying higher American wages?

once again, it'll never happen......................
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:01 AM   #134
american lockpi
macrumors newbie

I've avoided Apple products since 06(used a Mac computer with OS10 in Desktop Publishing...) because of the whole China origin thing also the Foxxcon suicides didn't help it either... I happened to catch the interview on TV last night about Macs being made in USA and I'm looking forward to getting one for my next computer next year.

I was looking at Japanese made Panasonic Toughbook but whats cooler than a Mac. Also they should consider bring the Ipad here so I can switch from my Korean made Samsungs.
american lockpi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:31 AM   #135
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by shareef777 View Post
Which ironically are built outside the US (for the most part) and imported.
The leading industrial robots are made in Japan. No surprise there.
SockRolid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:11 PM   #136
twigman08
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak47 View Post
It's a pretty safe bet. It'd be a suicide mission for a company as high profile as Apple or Foxconn to set up any kind of substantial manufacturing facility outside of a right to work state.

----------

Americans have worked various shifts at manufacturing and distribution facilities for as long as these businesses have been in operation. Most of these kinds of facilities are open 24/7, it's nothing new. People get hired for a particular shift and work those hours.

Really, I'm explaining the concept of shift work to someone? What are you 12 years old?
That's why I didn't care to explain things to people. There are too many people here on the forums, that aren't American, that don't realize that we can and already do work shifts close to these already. We have multiple places close to my hometown that have people working these shifts. I have a good friend that does it already.
twigman08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:20 PM   #137
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

Quote:
No more than any other illegal activity in any other country.

The Chinese government takes child labor laws very seriously.

You are misinformed if you believe otherwise.

Sent from my iPad, from Suzhou, China
Where did you hear this?

Last edited by Michaelgtrusa; Dec 9, 2012 at 03:49 AM.
Michaelgtrusa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 01:55 PM   #138
iphoneclassic
macrumors 6502

Just like Tim Cook claimed credit for Samsung USA made chips, Apple is going to claim credit for Foxconn investment in USA by throwing 100 Mil into it.

Lot of Chinese hardware sellers like Hauwei face ban from US Federal contracts, so this Foxconn gig may be a work around to get US Federal Govt contracts.

Every chinese vendor who wants to sell to Feds can make some it US of A to quell security concerns.

And by making few high end iMacs and MacBook Pros in same factory, Apple can do a masterful PR spin as always.
iphoneclassic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:27 PM   #139
stockscalper
macrumors 6502a

Oh The Irony

Apple used to make all the Macs here and they were built by robots. Jobs so hated the American worker that he wasn't satisfied with 97% of the factory being robots so he moved all production to China. The irony is that Foxconn, a Chinese company and not Apple, will be bringing the production and jobs back to America. It will be a Foxconn factory and the American workers will be working for a Chinese company.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:48 PM   #140
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
So mostly illegal immigrant Hispanics would take factory jobs for Apple? I find this hard to believe.
Please read again, where does it say illegal immigrants in my post?

Don't think a company like Apple linked via FoxConn would get away with that!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:27 PM   #141
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
Please read again, where does it say illegal immigrants in my post?

Don't think a company like Apple linked via FoxConn would get away with that!
You said that Hispanics would be good at those jobs but not Americans, which includes Hispanic Americans. So non-American citizens who are in America (illegal immigrants).
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 02:22 AM   #142
thleeal
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intarweb View Post
I'm not sure there could be a more off base post than this. I'm impressed.
thank you. one is bored.
thleeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:38 AM   #143
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
You said that Hispanics would be good at those jobs but not Americans, which includes Hispanic Americans. So non-American citizens who are in America (illegal immigrants).
You don't get it!

There are a lot of legal non-American Hispanics in this country. It is not necessary to take on American citizenship to be here legally.
(I am not American, but here legally)

And again: Apple/FoxConn being scrutinized at every step by the press would not get away with hiring illegal immigrants of any kind.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:33 PM   #144
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgtrusa View Post
Where did you here this?
The internet

----------

Quote:
Of course not.

I also know this is not common.

I would bet money that in the last year there have been child laborers in the US as well - who have not been reported and not made news because its not sensational to people who hate the Chinese.
Wait...so you are saying that in America we don't report child labor and we only report about child labor in China because we hate the Chinese?

Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:20 PM   #145
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Wait...so you are saying that in America we don't report child labor and we only report about child labor in China because we hate the Chinese?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Child labor law violations by a US company are not news.

Those same violations by those nasty, heathen Chinese who are taking all of our jobs, is sensationalized news.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:35 AM   #146
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Child labor law violations by a US company are not news.

Those same violations by those nasty, heathen Chinese who are taking all of our jobs, is sensationalized news.
Wow. I guess there is no point in trying to continue an intelligent conversation with you.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion