Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nle96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Every time I watch a recorded video of me just walking around using the rear facing camera, I notice that evertime I take a step in the video the video blurs just slightly. Is it normal that a litle jostle to the iPhone 5 (as caused by walking and taking steps) while video recording will produce a slightly blurred video at the time of the jostling. This issue is really concerning me since some people say that the iPhone 5 has great image stabilization. Thanks in advance!

** Is this motion blur or something? **
** Someone? Anyone? I just need an answer to know if my iPhone has a problem so that I can fix it as soon as possible. Regarding the issue, is this suppose to happen? Is this normal? **

Last edited:

bucker

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Yea I've noticed this same thing

Yea I've just noticed this today too. I never noticed it on my old 4S but on the 5 it's actually quite bad.

It's almost like a motion blur problem, the video looks as if it's vibrating or juddering whenever I move the camera.

Heres a link to a video I took in Scotland:
http://youtu.be/7rasJfy3WHY

nle96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Thx for answering! And yeah! Exactly what I've noticed. I've checked out a friend's iPhone 5 and it seems like it has the same problem too. Weird... Do you think it's because of the clearer and better screen, enabling one to detect motion blur better when shaking the phone and moving around? Glad I'm not the only one. Other than this, the phone is amazing. Then again, MAYBE, just MAYBE, I'm over analyzing but still. It'd be great if anyone else gives some feedback as well.

----------

Oh and I also have a 4s and 3gs. Just as you, I did not notice any motion blur and blurring while shaking the iPhone 4s or 3gs as much as in the iPhone 5.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
some people say that the iPhone 5 has great image stabilization

Compared to the 4S, probably, but definitely much worse than that of the Nokia Lumia 920 or any other optical stabilization-based camera.

Basically, what you see is perfectly normal and can't be fixed. If you need quality video with great OS, look elsewhere (a dedicated camera or the 920).

nle96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Thx!

Very true. Compared to the Nokia, the iPhone 5's image stability is a mess. Thx for reassuring me that it's just normal. iPhone 5 has plenty of ups but image stability is definitely not one of those. Anyone else have anymore feedback on this issue?

Ryan Burgess

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2013
Very true. Compared to the Nokia, the iPhone 5's image stability is a mess. Thx for reassuring me that it's just normal. iPhone 5 has plenty of ups but image stability is definitely not one of those. Anyone else have anymore feedback on this issue?

I've personally had no problems with the iPhones camera/stabilizer. I recently filmed a project using just my iPhone 5 and Filmic Pro with stabilization turn on. It turned out fantastic! It made my video look like I was using a steady cam. Now that might just be the app that I used (filmic pro) but as for me, I love the iPhones video camera!

bucker

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Something to do with new ISO level?

It appears to only happen in low-ish level light, because that video I took was in the afternoon on a very gloomy day in Scotland (and that's saying something!).

I've done other videos on sunny days and the problem disappears completely.

Maybe it's got something to do with this new ISO compensation that they added on the 5 because although I'm experiencing this problem with motion jittering, I must admit that low light videos come out much much brighter than on the old 4S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.