Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
It came really fast but recently I've started noticing lag. I have nothing running in the background and even then the page swipes tend to freeze every now and then. May have to do a restore.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
No it doesnt.

I get some lag on my 4S on occasion. Nothing too terrible but its there.

I think it depends on how you use your phone. I probably get 500 or so text a day and that seems to provoke some lag.

----------

It came really fast but recently I've started noticing lag. I have nothing running in the background and even then the page swipes tend to freeze every now and then. May have to do a restore.

Restore from new then do an iCloud restore on the phone. I do this every 6 months or so and it helps quite a bit. I also get back a lot of that "other" data.

BoostDeuce

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
Mine has some hiccups, moreso lately and it really is getting old.

I'll click the power button on top to wake the phone. Nothing happens. Wait 3-5 seconds, click the home button. Screen comes on 2-3 seconds later, and takes a screenshot, even though the button presses were about 5 seconds apart.

And sometimes, it takes 3-5 seconds between when I click the power button and when it actually shuts the screen off.

Clicking the home button sometimes takes 2-3 seconds before it actually goes to the home screen.

These don't always happen, but for a phone that ive only had for like 3 months, and having only 4.5GB of storage used, I would think it would stay faster. there is no reason for it to have these hiccups.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
This is highly disingenuous. The 4S lags like hell at this point and doesn't even have enough RAM to keep a couple of Safari pages open without having to reload.

I suggest you restore your phone, sounds like you have way too much...um...stuff on there.

I have no probs whatsoever, even with iOS 7, so there :p

aenflex

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
FL, USA
I've had mine since early Feb. I have not noticed any slowness or lag that plagued my last device, Galaxy S3.

beeh

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
It's more laggy than the iphone 4 in my experience, also the battery life doesn't seem as good as the 4. It's still a good phone though ( of course that's all relative - I'm sure a high-end android phone would be good too ).

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It's more laggy than the iphone 4 in my experience, also the battery life doesn't seem as good as the 4. It's still a good phone though ( of course that's all relative - I'm sure a high-end android phone would be good too ).
It is impossible for the 5 to be slower than the 4 come on now.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
So your 4S never force-reloads tabs in Safari?

I'm sure his does but that's not exactly "slowness" it just slows down the process of using the app. I believe the OP was talking literal slow downs in function.

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2002
I'm sure his does but that's not exactly "slowness" it just slows down the process of using the app. I believe the OP was talking literal slow downs in function.

Sure, the reloads and the occasional stuttering are different problems. I'd argue that neither would be "fixed" if I were to restore my phone, as the previous poster suggested. These are simply hardware limitations, especially the forced reloads, which are due to a lack of RAM. Though it's curious - back when I had a Tibook G4 with only a gig of RAM I also had countless open tabs, none of which ever refreshed without my say-so...

Beyinsis

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2013
That depends... how long will you keep your 5?

1 or 2 years = no-brainer, buy
more than 2 years = wait for 5S

Thats because iOS will get 'bigger', meaning more features will suck CPU and RAM and that will slow down your phone. iOS6 runs incredibly smooth, iOS7 will do too, but iOS8? I'm not so sure about that.

I think so 5s will be same 1 gb ram so when ram capacity will be an trouble for 5 will trouble for 5s too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.