Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
And be patient. Not matter how tech savvy you think you are, you will likely be in the same point with your frustrated grandkids one day. ;-)

I remember my dad was always on the cutting edge of computers and technology. He even owned a business that built/fixed computers as a hobby after he retired.

But in his later years simple things started to elude him. I remember him asking me to help help figure out why he couldn't get his iPhone to work the way he wanted. Or get the Blue Ray to work. It seemed at some point technology kept evolving and he wasn't up for it anymore.

He always told me 'getting old sucks.....'

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
I wish you the best of luck!

I am convinced an iPad would be more use to my mother than her laptop. I have a hard time considering her a "senior", but at 65, I guess she is. Over the years I have become the primary means of tech support for my parents & it has not been easy. I think the hardest time was when my mom stopped using AOL as an ISP. Migrating her from AOL mail & keywords to an actual web browser & email client was really hard on all of us. Since then, I have managed to keep their laptops and a wi-fi router running.

My mom primarily uses her laptop for email, sending/ receiving pictures with family, internet searching, checking weather, and reading news articles. She get confused with computer file systems & is always afraid she will screw something up or delete the wrong thing. I think an iPad would put her more at ease and she would get more out of it if she wasn't a nervous wreck every time she turns it on.

One thing she dislikes about using her laptop is the big ordeal caused by getting it out to use it for something quick. She will avoid doing quick tasks like pulling up a photo, looking up a recipe, or sending an email simply because she doesn't want the hassle of getting the laptop, waiting for it to boot up, shutting it down when she's done, etc... I think if she could just pull an iPad out and use it right away without all of the waiting, she would get more out of the internet & technology in general.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I am almost 56 & consider myself very technology proficient. The beauty of ipad for seniors (and anyone really) is how intuitive it is to use. Remember that Success builds upon success when helping elderly relatives, as each time they can get the ipad to perform a function they will begin to feel more and more confident! Stress the point that this device is meant to be fun, a tool that will let them explore the world from the comfort of their living room.

They don't have to learn everything in one day, ipad will be there, ready & waiting each time they want to try something new. The only other thing I would recommend is to help them set up accounts here & on other end user forums. Also teach them how to effectively use Google, there isn't a single ipad question I haven't been able to get an answer to by using Google or these forums. From what I've seen Macrumors is quite welcoming to Apple newbies, your senior citizen will get info & most likely make a friend or two online in the process. Most elderly people I've helped are amazed at the sheer number of online support forums of various types & getting them acquainted with how to register & post can really be life changing for them.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
whenever you buy an iPad for someone that's not.. apple centric it's customary to help them set it up and tell them how to do basic features, like split keyboard, camera, download apps, the usual. They will find out stuff on their own but you have to help them with basic use for a few days.

Recon73

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
United States
I bought my dad who is in mid 70's a iPad last Christmas. He loves it, the only thing I had to do was set it up and just show basics on it's use. He is total pro with it now. And it is always within reach. Like others said I was the tech support for his PC which was a nightmare. With Ipad I had zero issues with him. iPads in my opinion are perfect for seniors and people hesitant with technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.