Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I also have the LaCie Thunderbolt 1 TB SSD Little Big Disk and the fan sound is noticeable, especially after getting used to my perfectly silent 768 SSD GB IMac late 2012. It's kind of like the fan sound of my i7 2010 iMac when it's really being pushed to it's limits but it's not objectionable. It sure is super fast though.

Perhaps a 6 foot TB cable would be a good idea to place it further away, instead of just behind my iMacs where it lives now.

I disconnect the fans when using SSDs in the LBD enclosure. I haven't noticed any heat problems, the case is just slightly warm when using. Unfortunately, you have to open the unit to unplug the fan, which breaks the tamper seals and voids the warranty.

-howard

Insar

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
Thank you to the participants of the forum. I don't need to open my new iMac 27. I have a Lacie LBD SATA II 2x128gb Vertex 4 and WD My Book Thunderbolt samsung 830 256 gb divided into 128 gb for Mac OS Raid and Windows. I am very pleased with the result. Here are a few of my tests. Sorry for my English

Attachments

• 2_Vertex_4_Lacie_LBD.jpg
    2_Vertex_4_Lacie_LBD.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 2_Vertex4_Lacie_sams830_WD_Raid0.jpg
    2_Vertex4_Lacie_sams830_WD_Raid0.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 121
  • Vertex_4_wd_my_book.jpg
    Vertex_4_wd_my_book.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 84
  • ?????? ?????? 2013-04-28 ? 22.50.01.png
    ?????? ?????? 2013-04-28 ? 22.50.01.png
    177.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Mitch619

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Thank you to the participants of the forum. I don't need to open my new iMac 27. I have a Lacie LBD 2x128gb Vertex 4 and WD My Book Thunderbolt samsung 830 256 gb divided into 128 gb for Mac OS Raid and Windows. I am very pleased with the result. Here are a few of my tests. Sorry for my English

You have wicked fast speeds!

Mitch619

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
At this time we have virtually no options (besides seagate's) to connect a SSD of our choice to a thunderbolt enclosure. I'm gonna wait till a proper thunderbolt enclosure comes out.

Till then, I'm gonna buy one of those thermaltake 5G USB 3.0 enclosures and boot from that.

I've read mixed reviews about booting from Thunderbolt and USB 3.0. For the most part, they seem to be pretty damn equal in terms of speed. I'm not sure about reliability though. I'm inclined to think Thunderbolt is more stable but then again I thought it would be way faster than USB 3.0.

It really looks like we won't be seeing any Thunderbolt enclosures for months to come. I think now would be a good time to experiment with USB 3.0 and see if its just as good for booting.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
At this time we have virtually no options (besides seagate's) to connect a SSD of our choice to a thunderbolt enclosure. I'm gonna wait till a proper thunderbolt enclosure comes out.

Till then, I'm gonna buy one of those thermaltake 5G USB 3.0 enclosures and boot from that.

I've read mixed reviews about booting from Thunderbolt and USB 3.0. For the most part, they seem to be pretty damn equal in terms of speed. I'm not sure about reliability though. I'm inclined to think Thunderbolt is more stable but then again I thought it would be way faster than USB 3.0.

It really looks like we won't be seeing any Thunderbolt enclosures for months to come. I think now would be a good time to experiment with USB 3.0 and see if its just as good for booting.

For a single SSD, you will probably see similar results for USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt due to the speed of the SSD itself. If you set up multiple SSDs in a RAID-0 configuration, such as in the Little Big Disk SSD, you see a huge difference by having a Thunderbolt interface. There aren't many RAID capable USB 3.0 enclosures available, especially small ones geared towards 2.5" form factor drives.

Mitch619

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Just thought of something that could potentially ruin the whole "external fusion drive" thing.

I'm no expert, but what will happen when the new version of OSX comes out later this year? From experience with enabling TRIM on third-party SSDs, I know that after every update or new OS, I have to re-enable TRIM.

If any update or future OS breaks the Patched Fusion drive you just did, that would really suck!

Can anyone else chime in on this?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Just thought of something that could potentially ruin the whole "external fusion drive" thing.

I'm no expert, but what will happen when the new version of OSX comes out later this year? From experience with enabling TRIM on third-party SSDs, I know that after every update or new OS, I have to re-enable TRIM.

If any update or future OS breaks the Patched Fusion drive you just did, that would really suck!

Can anyone else chime in on this?

Well ... the 10.8.3 update didn't break the 10.8.2 DIY Fusion drives. :cool:

Since the Fusion CoreStorage is part of the underlying OS and is used by Apple OEM Fusion drives as well, I don't think they are going to do anything to purposely break it. The TRIM hack is a way to get around functionality traps that the OS is configured with ... those could be broken or reset with updates!

Mitch619

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Well ... the 10.8.3 update didn't break the 10.8.2 DIY Fusion drives. :cool:

Since the Fusion CoreStorage is part of the underlying OS and is used by Apple OEM Fusion drives as well, I don't think they are going to do anything to purposely break it. The TRIM hack is a way to get around functionality traps that the OS is configured with ... those could be broken or reset with updates!

Sounds logical. Good to know people's fusion drives survived.

And I agree with you about the raid setups with Thunderbolt. I was referring to single drives. I've actually seen a few tests where 3.0 bested Thunderbolt in performance. Thunderbolt has a very promising future for professionals and hobbyists, but as of right now, I don't think it's anything more than marginally better than USB 3.0.

fireedo

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Indonesia
so guys do u use this external thunderbolt SSD drive as a fusion drive or just a boot/Mac system drive?

how reliable both option?

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
so guys do u use this external thunderbolt SSD drive as a fusion drive or just a boot/Mac system drive?

how reliable both option?

If you do not play with the physical connectors, I think they are just as reliable as internal ones.

Nuke61

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Columbia, SC
I've actually seen a few tests where 3.0 bested Thunderbolt in performance. Thunderbolt has a very promising future for professionals and hobbyists, but as of right now, I don't think it's anything more than marginally better than USB 3.0.

My personal experience is that with a good USB 3.0 enclosure, the same 840 Pro SSD was slightly faster than a Thunderbolt enclosure, while using a bit more CPU overhead. Another difference is that with Thunderbolt you can have TRIM support but not with USB 3.0.

ales.zitka

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt

ANyone doing this?

I'm thinking Seagate GoFlex adapter with a 256gb Samsung 830 or maybe one of the new Intell 335s.

Is the Goflex adapter a good idea for a boot drive solution? What other enclosure setups are preferable for a permanent add-on to my 2011 imac 27"?

I use Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter (STAE121) with MacBook Air 2011 for few resons. For example ability to run antivirus (from Windows 8 running under Parallels) or for general edition of data on laptop HDDs and SDDs and for speed measurement of laptop disks...

Big minus for me is this adapter is not Daisy chain so I can use it together with external DP monitor. It is only minus.

Big plus is ability to boot and run OS X from it. On HDD or SDD. Changing test systém is so easy.

For everyday use I found great feature of this solution. As my internal drive is 128GB SSD only I install copy of my OS X on external 1TB HDD. Why? On insternal drive I keep working copy of systém and iTunes without data and Music Match only. All iTunes content is on system on 1TB HDD what I use to fullfill Music Match with.

The best thing is OS X itself. When you choose external 1TB HDD on Thunderbird adapter as a startup disk it start OS X from external disk everytime when attached in moment of boot. But without external drive it starts from internal SSD drive. And so on. So I do not need to change startup disk in OS X anymore...

schloerg

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2011
Zürich
which USB 3.0 enclosure did you use?

My personal experience is that with a good USB 3.0 enclosure, the same 840 Pro SSD was slightly faster than a Thunderbolt enclosure, while using a bit more CPU overhead. Another difference is that with Thunderbolt you can have TRIM support but not with USB 3.0.

Which USB 3.0 enclosure did you use?

thecounthahaha

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
FirmTek miniSwap/U3 http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/miniswap-u3/

Only downside is no TRIM support, since it's USB. It's also pretty large compared to my Buffalo Thunderbolt enclosure, but the FirmTek is also hot swappable and swapping an SSD for an HDD, or vice-versa, takes just a few seconds.

I can't seem to see it on their site - does it require external power when using SSDs over a certain size? ie the Crucial 960?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

Nuke,

When you said "slightly faster"... did you mean in terms of MB/s? I ask because the MUCH more important speed criteria for an SSD is IOPS. I would be shocked if a USB 3 attached drive would be driving more IOPS than a TB attached drive... because the software stack overhead would be higher with USB. It doesn't matter with a HDD because the IOPS are very low (dominated by head repositioning + rotational latency), and hence not as sensitive to connectivity. By contrast, the high IOPS rate of a good SSD could be affected by the lower USB efficiency.

My general recommendation would be attach external SSDs via TB whenever possible.

/Jim

Nuke61

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Columbia, SC
Nuke,
When you said "slightly faster"... did you mean in terms of MB/s? I ask because the MUCH more important speed criteria for an SSD is IOPS.
Yes, in terms of MB/s. I know that IOPS is far more important, but I don't have a benchmark program that has an IOPS measurement, I used BlackMagic. In terms of actual usage, there is effectively no difference between the USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt interfaces using the same Pro 840 SSD. Same boot times, same Aperture start time, and pretty much every other app starts so quickly that any user error (me) would overshadow any real start time differences.

schloerg

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2011
Zürich
FirmTek miniSwap/U3 http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/miniswap-u3/

Only downside is no TRIM support, since it's USB. It's also pretty large compared to my Buffalo Thunderbolt enclosure, but the FirmTek is also hot swappable and swapping an SSD for an HDD, or vice-versa, takes just a few seconds.

thank you nuke61 for the quick reply. I read about Thermaltake Silver River 5G case here at macrumors and I will go for that one.

rodrigoluizb

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
Campinas, SP, Brazil
I was wondering if, using this ssd as my boot drive, i will able to use bootcamp on this ssd, as well as my montain lion. I mean, i pretend to run macOSX and windows (via bootcamp) on the external lacie rugged ssd together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.