Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Production problem at Foxconn

Will problems in production also affect the new iMac? Don't tell me we are going to be getting scratched or defective iMacs as well?

These are really bad conditions for the Chinese workers, and Apple just keeps on taking. Instead of increasing the production tolerance to 0.02mm draft in an extra 100 quality control workers and shave some of the profit of these high margin devices. Apple keeps billions in the bank and lets the people that are generating those record profits suffer.

Mic2904

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Production problem at Foxconn

Will problems in production also affect the new iMac? Don't tell me we are going to be getting scratched or defective iMacs as well?

These are really bad conditions for the Chinese workers, and Apple just keeps on taking. Instead of increasing the production tolerance to 0.02mm draft in an extra 100 quality control workers and shave some of the profit of these high margin devices. Apple keeps billions in the bank and lets the people that are generating those record profits suffer.

Article is from early October.... :confused:

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Article is from early October.... :confused:

I know that, but it sill does not mean any of the problems have been resolved. Production for the new iMacs would have been well underway by that time but it does not mention in the article weather or not the new iMacs are being produced in that factory too?

If the new iMacs are not being produced in that factory as well then we can at least rest easy in the knowledge that quality control measures are being taken more seriously for the new iMacs. Or we should hope to think so anyway.

Hopefully it is not a case of the rotten Apple in a bowl full of fruit.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Obviously the iMac is having production problems, wherever that may be. Imagine how Apple management feels right about now weeks before xmas and weeks of a blank spot in it's inventory.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Obviously the iMac is having production problems, wherever that may be. Imagine how Apple management feels right about now weeks before xmas and weeks of a blank spot in it's inventory.

I hope that the Chinese workers are not being pushed to the brink to get these iMacs out in time. I can only imagine what they are going through to give us the latest shiny new thing.

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
I hope that the Chinese workers are not being pushed to the brink to get these iMacs out in time. I can only imagine what they are going through to give us the latest shiny new thing.

Really... we are going there now? You do realize that those factory jobs are highly sought after in China. If you want to be an activist for Chinese labor, you need to look anywhere but Apple's Foxconn facilities.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Really... we are going there now? You do realize that those factory jobs are highly sought after in China. If you want to be an activist for Chinese labor, you need to look anywhere but Apple's Foxconn facilities.

You would of thought that the workers at Foxconn would get paid enough to pay for their rent and have some money left over at the end of the month. Apple employees at Foxconn get paid only just enough to get by and have to live a separate life to their family's. They get treated more like a extendable commodity than people. All because Apple is more focused on their bank balance as opposed to their employees week being. It would not take much more to give a better proportion of pay to their workers and in effect receive a better level of service.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
You would of thought that the workers at Foxconn would get paid enough to pay for their rent and have some money left over at the end of the month. Apple employees at Foxconn get paid only just enough to get by and have to live a separate life to their family's. They get treated more like a extendable commodity than people. All because Apple is more focused on their bank balance as opposed to their employees week being. It would not take much more to give a better proportion of pay to their workers and in effect receive a better level of service.

you realize Foxconn doesn't just build for apple, but pretty much all of the major electronics companies, right? Apple gets singled out because they're on top of the tech world right now, but the conditions there aren't due to Apple...

Dduval

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012

I agree, American workers should have money left over to pay their rent...oh, wait, we're talking about Chinese workers, sorry. :rolleyes:

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA

Foxconn employees don't work for Apple, they work for Foxconn. Apple and many other electronics companies subcontract for production services from Foxconn. Apple is not directly responsible for what they get paid or their working conditions, although according to most reports I have seen Foxconn is one of the most desirable places to work there, and people are lined up daily hoping to land a job there.

HurtinMinorKey

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2012
I agree, American workers should have money left over to pay their rent...oh, wait, we're talking about Chinese workers, sorry. :rolleyes:

What's the point is having worker's rights in this country if we just allow people to undercut them by hiring foreign workers who are exempt? Our standards for worker's rights should be either global, or non-existant. The middle ground is bad policy.

Aug 26, 2008
you realize Foxconn doesn't just build for apple, but pretty much all of the major electronics companies, right? Apple gets singled out because they're on top of the tech world right now, but the conditions there aren't due to Apple...

I think this is only partially true, there have been many reports over the years that Apple's requirements are much more stringent, leading to much tougher conditions for the people working on Apple products.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012

My phone really went to town on the predictive text with that one :rolleyes: I am only going to say that iniquality is something Westerners have been bringing about since before the dawn of the Industrial age. Even now we take it to China out of sight of our own regulations reach. In this more interconnected world I suppose balance with ultimately find a way. At least if I can make my iMac last I wont have to worry the Chiniese workers for at least another five years and for my phone another three.

Robots are apparently going to take a larger proportion of some of the work and could be used to the extent of the automotive industry. At least Westerns could design the robots and get a small proportion of the pre-production design work. If you look at companies like HTC you will see that most of the designers are westerners. When are people from the East going to be seen more widespread through technology based design firms. I suppose like a commodity the Westerners will become unfavorable and we will see the power go to the country of most influence. I hope it does not work that way in the end, but under Capitalisim they are well within their right's to.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.