Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e271

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
I'm a new mac users. I'm having problems with right clicking the mouse. I tend to have my 2nd and 3rd fingers constantly resting on the mouse. If I try to do a right click, it will work if and only if the other finger is not in contact with the mouse. As I tend to forget this, my attempted right clicks don't always work.

Any tips for getting consistent right clicks (aside from using the control key or getting a normal mouse)?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
As with most things in life, practice, practice, practice.

Seriously, consciously lift your middle finger when clicking. Sooner or later it'll come naturally.

B

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
I keep mine in my bag, and have a logitech G500 gaming mouse at my home and work desks ;)

Seriously, I could not get a good feel for it.

e271

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
Yeah I suppose I'll keep practicing. I sort of wonder what percentage of people simply give up trying... I'm also fiddling around with BetterTouchTool, which has some mouse customization options. Hopefully it works out as aside from a few issues like this I quite like it.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I know some people like the Magic Mouse, but it is a pile of poo as far as I am concerned, get yourself a decent mouse instead. It is too easy to get a unintentional click with the magic mouse, and the acceleration is poor as well using the standard mac preference options. Razer make some excellent Mac compatible mice. Ironic for the company that made the mouse popular in the first place, that they can't design a decent one. Some of the gestures are nice with the Magic Mouse, but for me can't make up for its other faults.

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA
Any tips for getting consistent right clicks (aside from using the control key or getting a normal mouse)?

You already stated the best tip. The best tip is to get a different mouse.

Apple makes a lot of easy to use and good looking products but the magic mouse is just not one of them. The apple trackpad works very nice and you get used to the trackpad an order of magnitude faster then you can get used to the magic mouse and its quirkiness. Microsoft and Logitech also both make very decent bluetooth mouses or you can go cheaper and go with a RF or corded mouse.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
Put your hand on a G500 mouse, they try the magic. While I love the functions, wow, very uncomfortable and difficult to trigger. I love my dedicated back/forward buttons!

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
As with most things in life, practice, practice, practice.

Seriously, consciously lift your middle finger when clicking. Sooner or later it'll come naturally.

B

I've been practicing for years and still can't get it to work anywhere near 100% of the time. If the sensors were closer to the edges and the middle was a "dead zone" it might work better.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
UK
Yup, the Magic Mouse is horrible & tracks terribly on my Razor Sphex mat.

My MX518 on the other hand glides like no other.

e271

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2012
I've been practicing for years and still can't get it to work anywhere near 100% of the time. If the sensors were closer to the edges and the middle was a "dead zone" it might work better.

Perhaps have a look at BetterTouchTool. You can change the areas which correspond to a left click, those that correspond to a right click etc. This includes expanding these areas right to the edges of the mouse. (In BetterTouchTool prefs, first click on "Advanced", then "Mouse" and then check out the "Clicks" and "Ignore" tabs.)

In the last few days I've made changes in BetterTouchTool and I am now using the mouse more effectively (though some improvement is probably just a result of focused practice).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.