Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihatephish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
the $1499 model from the store. everything but iTunes is up to date. have 5 tabs open in safari, iTunes, iPhoto, and thats pretty much it, running...

WTF?

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
the $1499 model from the store. everything but iTunes is up to date. have 5 tabs open in safari, iTunes, iPhoto, and thats pretty much it, running...

WTF?

the beach ball? that sucks.
Have you looked at your memory usage and CPU usage in activity monitor to see if anything wrong there?
Have you copied a lot of files, documents, etc, or nothing yet?

ihatephish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
the beach ball? that sucks.
Have you looked at your memory usage and CPU usage in activity monitor to see if anything wrong there?
Have you copied a lot of files, documents, etc, or nothing yet?

yep, the beach ball. had already backed up on time capsule. was pretty shocked to be seeing this already.

i guess my itunes library is still downloading, but that should not slow the machine down that much, should it?

yezza

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2008
I suggest that you wait until you have everything copied over, and monitor spotlights activity before making judgement. If it still presents you with the dreaded "death circle", then WTF.

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
yep, the beach ball. had already backed up on time capsule. was pretty shocked to be seeing this already.

i guess my itunes library is still downloading, but that should not slow the machine down that much, should it?

The first time you run that machine, spotlight is indexing all the files, and if you're adding thousands of files at once, things might slow down a bit.

If you're running all that on the slower 5400 rpm drive, then it is even more likely to happen.

If that's what happens, things should settle down after a few hours.

For a better diagnostic, launch the 'Activity Monitor', look if you still have plenty of free memory. If that's the case, look at the CPU usage, it might show you what's happening.

Can you hear if the hard drive spinning a lot?

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
thanks for the feedback. going to let iTunes finish doing its thing and will report back in the AM.

----------

yes,

also, if you don't have any reason to stick with the old iTunes, update to the new one, it is much less memory and disk intensive.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
thanks for the feedback. going to let iTunes finish doing its thing and will report back in the AM.

----------

yes,
My friend I think is normal to have beachballs when you have multiple apps running in this disk.Because the computer is new maybe later you will see an improvement,when spotlight indexing is complete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.