Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Sep 5, 2013, 08:03 AM   #51
faible
macrumors newbie

Imagine push notifications for forums when you receive a new PM or somebody quoted your post. That would be really useful!
faible is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 08:04 AM   #52
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlaefer View Post
You have to pay Apple to issue a certificate because you have to use their servers and they can revoke this certificate at any time.

You can argue that these decisions make sense, but in the end it's still a walled garden with a tollbooth.
And with mandatory Apple censorship of content too.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 08:16 AM   #53
jclardy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkamel View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else really hate getting notifications? I disable everything and wish I could turn notification center off completely.

This new feature sounds super annoying.
I assume each website would have some sore of alert telling you it supports push notifications (Maybe even just a soft dropdown at the top, not a hard alert. Like the app store links on iOS.) Then you either allow or deny.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 08:30 AM   #54
Jayomat
macrumors 6502a

God how,.... uhmm, not clever do you have to be to believe that this would enable every website to send you notifications... ??!?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 08:39 AM   #55
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
What grudge with Engadget? Are you sure you don't mean Gizmodo?
Yeah. You're right.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 08:51 AM   #56
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
I doubt that Apple would block MacRumors. Apple loves this site I'm pretty sure.
Yes, it's their Comedy Channel.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 09:44 AM   #57
lars666
macrumors 6502a

Man, the bitching here is unbelievable. This is a nice feature which you can turn on for news from specific websites you like and which use it in a good way and keep it turned off for all the other sites. Simple as that. Pathetic whiny attitude with zero power of imagination on this board.
lars666 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 09:53 AM   #58
redkamel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird View Post
To all those complaining about this feature, just don't turn it on. Don't enable it on any website that requests it. 'Nuff said.
Notifications are on by default for apps, web sites will likely be opt in. Eventually, some sites will be automatic I am sure. Such as Apple.com. etc etc. You can't turn notification center off completely, you have to disable everything manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikir View Post
It is just you. You can disable app with useless (or useless to you) notifications, or like I do I just disable the last 5 entries in notification Center and keep only for app which is important I remember things.
Yes, but you can't disable Notification Center. You have to manually manage all your apps. And the icon never goes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrad View Post
Why is it super annoying? I love push notifications on my iPhone. It's so much better than notifications on my Mac which is usually delivered through e-mail. THAT'S what's annoying!
It is annoying because on my computer I am usually working, thus I check things when I need to. When I get notifications, it is an interruption to work, or play, or whatever I am doing. If you are a busy person eg multiple shared calendars, shared dropboxes and email accounts, you get a lot of notifications. So notification center is useless for work. If I could tell it to only notify me when a certain thing I am waiting for happened...then fine. But otherwise it is just a constant stream of annoying notifications. So I disable everything. But the icon won't go away.

I don't mind notifications on my phone because I can set it to silent and check it every once in a while. On a computer I am staring at the screen and constant little bubbles keep popping up.

I am sure notification center is great for people who really want to follow online threads, or know when they got their daily email or some such..but as an actual tool for important notifications, it falls short in my opinion. One of the worst Apple features, and I can't even hide the button.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 09:56 AM   #59
lars666
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkamel View Post
Notifications are on by default for apps, web sites will likely be opt in. Eventually, some sites will be automatic I am sure. Such as Apple.com. etc etc. You can't turn notification center off completely, you have to disable everything manually.

Yes, but you can't disable Notification Center. You have to manually manage all your apps. And the icon never goes away.

It is annoying because on my computer I am usually working, thus I check things when I need to. When I get notifications, it is an interruption to work, or play, or whatever I am doing. If you are a busy person eg multiple shared calendars, shared dropboxes and email accounts, you get a lot of notifications. So notification center is useless for work. If I could tell it to only notify me when a certain thing I am waiting for happened...then fine. But otherwise it is just a constant stream of annoying notifications. So I disable everything. But the icon won't go away.

I don't mind notifications on my phone because I can set it to silent and check it every once in a while. On a computer I am staring at the screen and constant little bubbles keep popping up.

I am sure notification center is great for people who really want to follow online threads, or know when they got their daily email or some such..but as an actual tool for important notifications, it falls short in my opinion. One of the worst Apple features, and I can't even hide the button.

Jesus, if you are SO annoyed by your notification center (and the hours of work to turn an app off in the settings), just do this:

http://www.maclife.com/article/howto..._mountain_lion

Even the so terribly annoying icon will disappear with the permanent method.

Last edited by lars666; Sep 5, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
lars666 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:38 AM   #60
Battlefield Fan
Banned

This feature could be good or bad. Good because sites like MR would be awesome. Bad because Yahoo would probably SPAM the heck out of me.
Battlefield Fan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:15 AM   #61
lars666
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
But is that going to mean that every time I visit one of these registered sites I'm going to get a system pop-up saying "MacRumors would like to send you push notifications"? If this catches on and lots of sites register this could get really annoying really quickly. Yes, you could no doubt turn the function off, but I think a lot of people might want to use it for maybe news websites and aren't going to want to have to say no to every other retailer's website they visit that wants to be able to push notify them of their latest sale items every other day.
I hope for a solution where the user is the first active party - asking through a click if this website offers notifications or having to click on a button/link on the website to subscribe - in comparison to the "XY would like to" pop-ups without requesting them. But I'm not a developer, I have no idea how exactly this works. Nice would be a little symbol in the address bar of the browser like the little "RSS" icon showed up in the past if the homepage offered it.
lars666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:46 PM   #62
bketchum
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakedrawer View Post
This could be extremely useful and possible a replacement for my rss reader.
That was my first thought. I relied heavily on Reeder to keep up on specific news and articles related to my field. Reeder has been empty and useless since June 28.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can continue following websites with RSS?
bketchum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:47 PM   #63
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlaefer View Post
You have to pay Apple to issue a certificate because you have to use their servers and they can revoke this certificate at any time.

You can argue that these decisions make sense, but in the end it's still a walled garden with a tollbooth.
My point is that it's proof that Apple is not attempting to make their app stores the ONLY way you're allowed to do anything on an Apple device as some have feared.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:58 PM   #64
lars666
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bketchum View Post
That was my first thought. I relied heavily on Reeder to keep up on specific news and articles related to my field. Reeder has been empty and useless since June 28.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can continue following websites with RSS?
Try Feedly. I imported my Google Reader subscriptions into this. Best RSS reader to "consume" blog news etc., in my opinion. Works directly in your browser/via plugin on your Mac, iPhone/iPad companion apps do exist too, of course. Second place: Flipboard. Both really "magazine"-like, but you can change that at least in Feedly to a more "list" like view, too. If you still need it more simplistic, there are some other Reeder clones for Mac and iOS out there.

Last edited by lars666; Sep 5, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
lars666 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 02:57 PM   #65
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
What an annoying "feature". Get spammed directly in your web browser.
why on earth would you sign up for alerts from something you didnt want?

also, it's not in the browser -- the point of the feature is its websites sending notifications to your *OS*.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird View Post
To all those complaining about this feature, just don't turn it on. Don't enable it on any website that requests it. 'Nuff said.
please, stop using common sense -- they cant handle it.
mdelvecchio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 03:14 PM   #66
redkamel
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars666 View Post
Jesus, if you are SO annoyed by your notification center (and the hours of work to turn an app off in the settings), just do this:

http://www.maclife.com/article/howto..._mountain_lion

Even the so terribly annoying icon will disappear with the permanent method.
Thank you! Didn't know about the Terminal Command.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 04:45 PM   #67
bedifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post
please, stop using common sense -- they cant handle it.
Normally I dislike bitchy comments, but that was funny and practical
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 05:05 PM   #68
Krazy Bill
Banned

This will be a timesaver if MR uses it. Now I can find out when I'm put in Time Out without leaving my desktop.
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 05:24 PM   #69
bedifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bill View Post
This will be a timesaver if MR uses it. Now I can find out when I'm put in Time Out without leaving my desktop.
LOL We need to produce an annul book of the top comments on MacRumors. There've been some genius, witty, and creative posts, especially some of the images created and posted on the "Mavericks" launch thread.
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:26 AM   #70
badsandwich
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
I hope MacRumors uses this feature.
Well it requires https, so maybe not.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bketchum View Post
Use feedly.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:48 PM   #71
Porco
macrumors 68000

As someone who has long championed Apple giving users options I really don't see the problem with this at all, if it looks useful to some people then it could be a great feature, good for them.

If it looks like it would be an annoying feature, as it does to me, then I'm sure we can turn it off. Though I also share the view of those who wish there was a simple way to just turn off notification centre altogether (in the UI / System Prefs), for those of us who would want to*.

*Terminal is not for everyone

Last edited by Porco; Sep 6, 2013 at 05:58 PM.
Porco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 05:21 AM   #72
KrisLord
macrumors regular

Has anyone seen this in use?

I've not been using Mavericks much (dual booting with ML) but have just received a notification from Apple with a link to https://help.apple.com/osx-mavericks/whats-new
KrisLord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 08:27 AM   #73
mhelpdesk
macrumors newbie

Business Management Software

Hello Everyone,

Mhelp Desk provides the best software services in each business. Easy to use and most reliable field service management software. This all-in-one app helps you in tracking your work orders, technicians, scheduling and billing.
mhelpdesk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 09:44 AM   #74
Wispy
macrumors newbie

New age of Push. Some forums and social will can make cool notifications.
Wispy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:06 PM   #75
bketchum
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars666 View Post
Try Feedly. I imported my Google Reader subscriptions into this. Best RSS reader to "consume" blog news etc., in my opinion. Works directly in your browser/via plugin on your Mac, iPhone/iPad companion apps do exist too, of course. Second place: Flipboard. Both really "magazine"-like, but you can change that at least in Feedly to a more "list" like view, too. If you still need it more simplistic, there are some other Reeder clones for Mac and iOS out there.
Thank you!
bketchum is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion