Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hiker

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
I've got the same problem with my iPad. Cannot login to iMessage or Facetime.

I can login to FindFriends but after 5-20 seconds, it always displays a message saying that there is a problem with my apple Id and password and that sign in is required. This occurred with iOS 5 and nothing has changed with iOS 6.

Interestingly, on the same network, all this works with my iPod!

Surfing this and it appears it's a common problem. I've tried the DNS suggestions and setting date/time to automatic and still no go. Argh!

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Had the problem for the first time today with Find My Friends.
Took 5-6 logins for it to work.
Weird.

aldo818

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
South of France
I had the same issue and came across the following:

http://tbreak.com/tech/2012/09/fix-for-facetime-and-imessages-not-working-on-ios-6-in-the-uae/

Simple fix, and everything will begin working immediately.

for me in France it doesn t work i m unable to change my region as i ve linked apple match for the music and the docs in the cloud i would loose all it says .

I m able to use imessage and facetime but only with my phone number not with my apple id looking desperate for a fix

Nizam

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
I had the same problem, when I signed out of FaceTime I could not log back in using same apple I'd and password, in the end I had went on apple ID on the website , which said my password had expired !, I reset it , then went back to FaceTime and worked straight away, this solved my issue, hope this help others.

salazar17

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2013
I had same problem, new iPad mini and could not activate Imessage or Face Time. I searched all these forums for advice. In the end I deleted my iCloud account (I never use it and as the iPad was new...no data was lost) and then it worked. I had already updated the software and checked the that the timezone was correct.

daqieq

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2013
SoCal, USA
I tried lots of the suggestions in this thread (I did not change regions as I didn't want to lose data). I also tried something I found on another thread, deleting information from my Apple Id account to try to force the account to update.

What's weird about this issue is that it affects certain devices only, one of two iPads on the same network. So bizarre!

Anyway, what happened for me is that I decided to try "Find my iPad", but when I went out to icloud.com I realized that it was blocked by my DNS server (OpenDNS.com). Realizing that this could be causing the problem, I added this domain to the Never Block list and when I was able to access the site I was able to log in. However, my mac Mini also had an old email address registered in the System Preferences for iCloud, so I had to open Mail (who knows why ...) and then I could log out of the old Apple Id email account and log back in with the new email.

Once both of these things were done I was able to "Find my iPad" on icloud.com and log in to both iMessages and Facetime on the offending iPad.

I'm not sure why it affected one iPad and not the other except perhaps that we needed to authenticate with the 1 iPad whereas the other iPad had already been authenticated before the block on the icloud.com domain went into affect.

Not sure if this will solve anyone else's issue, but since I had searched high and low for a resolution and was about to reluctantly call Apple support (seems like that hasn't worked for others on the forums), I figure this might help one or two other people who have DNS level blocking turned on ...

Cheers!

Be1Creations

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2015
WTF Apple?

Just got an Ipad mini 3 and Facetime is not signing in right off the bat. Set up account as per normal, even made a new one but neither could sign in - no error message was given, just plain didn't work. Tried restoring everything and nothing. Must be an account issue because I couldn't sign in on another new iPad Air 2, and soon after signing out of the original account assigned to that ipad the user couldn't sign back in! WTF Apple - fix this! I trusted you and defended your name against android to the grave, but now you are making us both look bad! Defend your reputation and show Android why apple rocks and solve this please!:mad:

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
This might help.

Make sure that Time & Date ( In Settings-General ) are on automatic.

In Settings-Privacy-Locations-System Service ( All the way down ),make sure Define Time Zone is on.

It worked for me after pulling out a lot of hair ;-)))

excellent advice and solved the issue that came up my end, 4 years later
this should be stickied somehow to the top of the thread

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.