Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryzaminnelli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Hi there,

I have been trying to figure this out today and yesterday and have had no luck, please help if you can!

I have an excel sheet of 15,000 image file names: eg 10010001.jpg, 10010002.jpg etc
I also have a folder of 42,000 images named using the same format.

The 15,000 images exist within the folder containing the 42,000 images - that is to say they make up part of the 42,000.

What I am trying to do is use automator to filter the 15,000 out of the 42,000 so I am left with 27,000 images in a separate folder.

So far I've tried this on automator:

- Find filter Items (42,000 files)
- Filter Finder Items (Any of the following are true: name contains {15,000 image names pasted in from excel})
- Get selected finder items
- Move Finder items (to selected folder {destination})

I've tried different variations of this too and its not working. I tried this a few months ago with a smaller number of images and it seemed to work fine - no idea why its not working this time!

I know I could do this manually but what I'm hoping is that someone will be able to help me out so I can just leave automator running in the background whilst I get on with other work.

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.