Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

underblu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Been thinking of adding a MBA to go along with my awesome Sandybridge 17" MBP.

I really don't like the iPad I picked up recently. It kinda sucks for anything other than movies and web browsing and even there I'd prefer a laptop (for web browsing)

That led me to look at the 13" MBP and the 13" MBA.

I have to say the 13" MBA seems to be a price performance leader here.

While the MBPs have higher clocked dual core chips this speed bump doesn't seem like a significant performance difference

The MBA offers better resolution than the cMBp 13", in a much smaller lighter more portable package

While the rMBP provides superior resolution to the air and a light and thin form factor, it still doesn't best the air in portability and it's high resolution display will likely come at a penalty in ultimate graphic performance. Not to mention it cost several hundred more than the MBA

Just my thoughts here.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Agreed. The MBA will eventually replace what used to be the 13" MBP spot as the most popular "go to" laptop for consumers. It's lighter, has a better screen resolution and comes with an SSD. The SSD compensates for the lower processor speed and actually makes the Air way faster than the base MBP.

Definitely the sweet spot mac.

xekret

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
Been thinking of adding a MBA to go along with my awesome Sandybridge 17" MBP.

I really don't like the iPad I picked up recently. It kinda sucks for anything other than movies and web browsing and even there I'd prefer a laptop (for web browsing)

That led me to look at the 13" MBP and the 13" MBA.

I have to say the 13" MBA seems to be a price performance leader here.

While the MBPs have higher clocked dual core chips this speed bump doesn't seem like a significant performance difference

The MBA offers better resolution than the cMBp 13", in a much smaller lighter more portable package

While the rMBP provides superior resolution to the air and a light and thin form factor, it still doesn't best the air in portability and it's high resolution display will likely come at a penalty in ultimate graphic performance. Not to mention it cost several hundred more than the MBA

Just my thoughts here.

I'm with you on the iPad bit, doesn't really do it for me after owning it. I myself prefer the 13" retina over the Air, but if I had to buy right now I would definitely get the Air. It makes more sense money wise to me. I am going to hold off if I can until next year for the spec bump and hopefully the retina will have a better onboard GPU. Just my .02

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Didn't somebody say the 13" Air is Apple's best seller?

But are you gonna buy statistics or are you going to buy something SUITABLE FOR YOU?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.