Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I have a new Mac mini and since I got it, quite often when I wake it from sleep I only get a black screen with a curser. I can move the curser, but hitting any keys I only get the error "beep" I guess I'd call it. I have to hold the power button to turn off the mini, thn turn it back on.

It's a base mini hooked up to my tv with HDMI.

It doesn't sound like the random black screens that see, to be an issue with the new mini. I rarely use the mini, but haven't seen the screen to black when actually using it. It just seems to not come back from sleep properly.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
For some reason my Mac Mini also goes to sleep when encoding with Handbrake. If I leave and ome back it will be locked, and the encode will be paused. Shouldn't it stay on until its done working? My mbp always stayed on.

The other strange thing is I set it o automatically login, but it still keeps asking for my password. Is there something else I need to do besides set it o automatically login my user account?

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
I have a new Mac mini and since I got it, quite often when I wake it from sleep I only get a black screen with a curser. I can move the curser, but hitting any keys I only get the error "beep" I guess I'd call it. I have to hold the power button to turn off the mini, thn turn it back on.

It's a base mini hooked up to my tv with HDMI.

It doesn't sound like the random black screens that see, to be an issue with the new mini. I rarely use the mini, but haven't seen the screen to black when actually using it. It just seems to not come back from sleep properly.

Have the exact same issue with my 2011 mini. I use screen sharing, so thats where I see the black screen. Ive googled but no avail.

I'm tempted to call apple care about this, but I dont have apple care purchased on any of my devices. And I think your use case - using it with a HDTV - is common. And there is obviously something going on here. Screen sharing on the iMac has never done this.

Do you use it headless or do you always turn your TV to the correct HDMI channel?

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Have the exact same issue with my 2011 mini. I use screen sharing, so thats where I see the black screen. Ive googled but no avail.

I'm tempted to call apple care about this, but I dont have apple care purchased on any of my devices. And I think your use case - using it with a HDTV - is common. And there is obviously something going on here. Screen sharing on the iMac has never done this.

Do you use it headless or do you always turn your TV to the correct HDMI channel?

I always use it with the TV. I plan on setting up s teen sharing so I can use my ipad remotely, I just haven't found something I want to use to do it yet. I hear good/bad about every app and can't decide which I want to use.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
I always use it with the TV. I plan on setting up s teen sharing so I can use my ipad remotely, I just haven't found something I want to use to do it yet. I hear good/bad about every app and can't decide which I want to use.

Ahh ok, I dont have any personal experiences with iPad remote apps :)

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I don't know for sure, but it seems like I get the black screen if I wake the Mac before turning the TV to the correct input. If I have the TV on and set o the correct input first, then it seems ok.

I'll have to test some more to be certain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.