Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patlee88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Dear All,

Sorry for my bad english...
Currently I'm using pc flashed radeon 4890 and very happy with it running in my 27" LCD for fps games.

My question is:
A/ Compared with 4890 vs 6870, as i know 6870 using less power and support DX11, and if the gaming performance gain a lot?

B/ There is no grey apple logo boot screen for 6870, so if I want to switch to bootcamp, the only way to do is to select the rite partition under system perference?

C/ I'm using MacPro 1.1, the very earlist model with 2.66 cpu, so the proper installion step is install the 6870 driver(from mbp disc), turn off and take out 4890 card, then put 6870 inside and switch on...and that's it?~~

Thanks all~~

ChuckBlack

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
"B/ There is no grey apple logo boot screen for 6870, so if I want to switch to bootcamp, the only way to do is to select the rite partition under system perference?"

Good question, I'd like to know as well.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I've asked this question before and the answer is yes, sort of. You can always blindly select the OS at bootup by holding down ALT/Option, waiting an appropriate amount of time, using the cursor key, and hitting enter.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
He specifically is asking about boot camp, so DX11 may in fact be valid.

I care about DX11 in boot camp.

patlee88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Also, may anyone suggest the brand of 6870 as well? Should I go for Sapphaire, or XFX ?:)

patlee88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
And 1 more question, I'm having snow leopard 10.6.5 in hand, as if it is not support 6870, so in case I need to fully format and reinstall os, the only way to do is to put back my previous 4890?

Dear All,

Sorry for my bad english...
Currently I'm using pc flashed radeon 4890 and very happy with it running in my 27" LCD for fps games.

My question is:
A/ Compared with 4890 vs 6870, as i know 6870 using less power and support DX11, and if the gaming performance gain a lot?

B/ There is no grey apple logo boot screen for 6870, so if I want to switch to bootcamp, the only way to do is to select the rite partition under system perference?

C/ I'm using MacPro 1.1, the very earlist model with 2.66 cpu, so the proper installion step is install the 6870 driver(from mbp disc), turn off and take out 4890 card, then put 6870 inside and switch on...and that's it?~~

Thanks all~~

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The brand isn't too relevant. Pick a card that is a reference card. You can tell because they all look the same with the same coolers and have the same specs. Avoid cards that look obviously different or have different clock rates, etc.

If I got an unsupported card and OS updates came along, I'd wait to see if the update breaks support for the card before doing the update. If it doesn't break support, then update. If it does break support, wait to see if anyone comes up with a workaround. But ultimately, yes, you may end up in a situation where you can never update or you have to switch to a different card that is supported.

thennessey

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
...You can always blindly select the OS at bootup by holding down ALT/Option, waiting an appropriate amount of time, using the cursor key, and hitting enter.
I can't get this to work.
What is the appropriate amount of time?
Does a more detailed discussion of this topic exist?
I've attempted this method several times, several different ways with no luck.
Please help? Props to all involved in R&D on this. :)

Jarpo

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
I can't get this to work.
What is the appropriate amount of time?
Does a more detailed discussion of this topic exist?
I've attempted this method several times, several different ways with no luck.
Please help? Props to all involved in R&D on this. :)

I cannot get this to work, either. Just installed a Sapphire 6870 in my 1,1 using DVI>VGA and I don't get a boot screen and can't blindly select my OS when holding down the Option key. I've already used the Startup Disk option in OSX to select my Boot Camp partition so now I'm kinda stuck in Windows. Any ideas besides putting the 7300 back in?

Related question: Any downside to keeping the 7300 installed along side the 6870 for this type of situation?

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
vga-dvi wont work afaik.

if u wanna have Startup Disk tool in windows, install Bootcamp application.

Jarpo

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
vga-dvi wont work afaik.

if u wanna have Startup Disk tool in windows, install Bootcamp application.

Thanks I'll do that. The main problem was that I forgot I had Server 2008 installed (for school) so when I tried to log in I had forgot my password (whoops). Going to format and install Win7 and try again.

dreamersofeden

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
Spain
The HDMI port works without problems?... im thinking of buying a 2006 Pro and make the same upgrade with a MSI 6870 for 170 bucks.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
I have a 2006 1,1 MacPro and need to upgrade my GPU as my 8800GT died so I'm using my 7300GT. What brand and model graphics card have you got working in your 2006 MacPro? Any problems? Does DVD player and Steam Games work in OSX? Thanks.

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Hi guys, I've got a 1,1 x5355s xfx 6870 running 10.6.8.

The upgrade from a 4850 under Windows is just amazing, well worth it in my opinion.

I don't use steam under mac so can't answer your question there sorry.

with regards to booting I actually have individual hard drives, one for mac and one for Windows so I leave the mac one in when I want osx and the other in when I want Windows - much easier than trying to guess an invisible boot screen.

there is a way to flash he card but you loose use of a dvi port so I haven't done that yet.

also I don't have any dvds to test DVD player sorry but I'm sure VLC will play dvds if you need to.

Any tests you want me to do just give me a shout on here and ill put a YouTube video together - I already have one on the CPU upgrade and graphics card showing how long it takes to skip the boot screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.