Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erixg5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2012
I recently received a PPC G5 Quad and I love it, but it is my first mac. I want to use my G5 as a media server and general use computer. I have a Sony Network Media Player (smp-n100) that I want to use as my media player. I had my old windows xp computer set up for sharing of media, but have yet to figure out how to do the same on my g5. Also, what should I use for ripping my dvd collection for sharing to the same media player?

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Ripping sw for PPC Quad and others

Hi,

For ripping DVDs and media I use MacTheRipper. You could also use Handbrake 0.95 which is the LAST version for PowerPC.

I am not too sure about the Sony Network Player, someone else might chime in on that for you.. But both MacTheRipper and Handbrake will do what you want in when ripping media.

I recently received a PPC G5 Quad and I love it, but it is my first mac. I want to use my G5 as a media server and general use computer. I have a Sony Network Media Player (smp-n100) that I want to use as my media player. I had my old windows xp computer set up for sharing of media, but have yet to figure out how to do the same on my g5. Also, what should I use for ripping my dvd collection for sharing to the same media player?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

You have quite the machine there! Obviously not as fast as a new computer, but super fast for its day. As for the SMP-N100. That will stream files from a UPNP media server. There are a bunch of these. XBMC might be able to do it. Unfortunately, last I heard, only the Plex client and not the Plex server can run on PowerPC Macs.

As for Handbrake 0.95, here is the site:
http://mark.nellemann.nu/2011/04/11/handbrake-0-9-5-for-osx-powerpc/

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Sorry read this as XBMC "might be able to do it" so thought you had some doubt.

I'm sorry I was so rude in my post- I was on a tablet and I tried to cut out all of the excess words.

The reason that I said "might" is because this page states that there might be some incompatibilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.