Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:28 PM   #1
wizzerandchips
macrumors 6502

Do you remember when......

....the iPad first showed itself and people were saying why do we need it, what's the point, it can't do what a laptop can do, can't do this cant do that, where are you now? Wonder if they now own a tablet...I've still got my iPad 1... In fact I type this on it..and yet it killed the net book.
wizzerandchips is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzerandchips View Post
....the iPad first showed itself and people were saying why do we need it, what's the point, it can't do what a laptop can do, can't do this cant do that, where are you now? Wonder if they now own a tablet...I've still got my iPad 1... In fact I type this on it..and yet it killed the net book.
In a way it did, but at first really only for us Mac users....I have the iPad 4, and I recently bought a Nexus N7 just to play around with and see what Android ( which I know nothing about) was like. The device is well made, and performs pretty well, but the 7" screen really is too small for me. It's good to know that there are still first generation ipads out there going strong...A buddy of mine still has his and he uses it every day. A testimony to Apple build quality indeed. How's your battery holding up?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:41 PM   #3
utcoug
macrumors member

Quote:
I was one of the first people in the country and my company to have the first iPad. Everyone thought I was crazy and the iPad was going to be a flop. Can't even remember how I got along without it. My computing and media consuming life has improved in leaps and bounds and keeps getting better.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:43 PM   #4
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

I remembered the time, when the iPhone was introduced and was thinking, they should have gone with a table instead, but are probably testing the waters with multi touch and all that stuff.

Once the iPad mini arrived, I knew, what I was waiting for, not for all computer use, but it is fantastic for the loo.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:11 PM   #5
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
where are you now?
They're still out there. No one option will suit everyone best.
takeshi74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Obese Lobsters
macrumors member

I remember when the iPad came out and people were calling it a giant itouch then when the xoom was announced the same people were praising it even though it was much more expensive and had to be upgraded, eventually, to 4g. Same story with the iPod, iPhone etc....
Obese Lobsters is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:04 PM   #7
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

I still think the iPhone is too small and the mini is too big. I need an iPhone math!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:12 PM   #8
oldhifi
macrumors 6502a

i remember my 1st computer....

Macintosh 128K

and the IPad is great!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:15 PM   #9
beauparc
macrumors member

I still have my original iPad and use it every day.

Just breathed new life into it by jailbreaking and it never misses a beat.

Brilliant machine and I intend to keep using it until it finally gives up the ghost.

No interest at all in iPad 4 or Mini because I can see no reason to upgrade.
beauparc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:26 PM   #10
motty2307
macrumors regular

I'll be the first to admit I was one of those people. Now, I have seen the light and am on my second iPad lol.
motty2307 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:54 PM   #11
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Was announced JUST 3 years ago to date last week! It is crazy how far the iPad has come along in such a short time.

I remember some of the backlash at first was against the name (Maxi-Pad, will the iPad 2 come with wings?, etc). Now the iPad has become an iconic piece of hardware and the name sells the device alone!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
In a way it did, but at first really only for us Mac users....I have the iPad 4, and I recently bought a Nexus N7 just to play around with and see what Android ( which I know nothing about) was like. The device is well made, and performs pretty well, but the 7" screen really is too small for me. It's good to know that there are still first generation ipads out there going strong...A buddy of mine still has his and he uses it every day. A testimony to Apple build quality indeed. How's your battery holding up?
I bought my iPad Mini on Jan. 13th, haven't used my Nexus 7 since! Poor thing hasn't even been charged, I bet it died
mpayne2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:15 PM   #12
Bokes
macrumors 6502

remeber when...

we used to carry around 15inch MacBooks...? and now the ipad 4 is too heavy?
Bokes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:56 PM   #13
b166er
macrumors 68020

Admittedly I thought the iPad was kind of ridiculous when I saw the keynote. Now I have changed my stance. I believe that iOS was fully intended for the iPad, and as a phone OS it kind of sucks. I use my iPad daily for school and fun alike. I still use my macbook pro often as well, but the iPad has taken over most of my lighter computing needs.

After using one I really changed my tune. I immediatley went out and bought one, and instantly started to understand that this was where iOS belongs. I do own a nexus 7 and I like it a lot, but I prefer the iPad to it and to all the other tablets I've used.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:15 AM   #14
wizzerandchips
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post

After 3 years my battery is as good as its first day. And I use mine everyday.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
I remembered the time, when the iPhone was introduced and was thinking, they should have gone with a table instead, but are probably testing the waters with multi touch and all that stuff.

Once the iPad mini arrived, I knew, what I was waiting for, not for all computer use, but it is fantastic for the loo.
Snap, gone are the old magazines in the loo, iPad is in and out, aprrox 20mins, with me.
wizzerandchips is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:18 AM   #15
JoeFkling
macrumors member

I still enjoy my iPad 1 and remember when the iPad and the iPhone were introduced and remember thinking, along with tons of others Im sure, that both devices would change the landscape of mobile computing. Of course I also had the same thought when I had my newtons, but sadly, that didnt exactly go like I thought.
JoeFkling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:20 AM   #16
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
I don't think that was the consensus opinion at all
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:06 AM   #17
wizzerandchips
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
I don't think that was the consensus opinion at all

I said people, a few, not as a whole (consensus opinion)
wizzerandchips is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad