Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:28 PM   #26
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
Drugs are illegal and it's a big liability issue if an accident occurs at work and the person is found to be on drugs. Profiling would be illegal so everyone gets tested. As I stated earlier, drug testing is for company liability / insurance reasons. You can also decline to be tested but you may not be hired.
Drinking can be a liability too if someone comes to work drunk and something happens, but they don't have any testing to determine if someone is an alcoholic or not.

As long as a person isn't on drugs while on the clock it shouldn't matter what they do in their personal time in a supposedly "free" country.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:17 PM   #27
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Drinking can be a liability too if someone comes to work drunk and something happens, but they don't have any testing to determine if someone is an alcoholic or not.

As long as a person isn't on drugs while on the clock it shouldn't matter what they do in their personal time in a supposedly "free" country.
Companies can't do anything about alcohol since it's legal. Drugs are illegal so companies can and do test for them for liability / insurance reasons (i.e. if alcohol was illegal, companies would also be testing for it). As far a your "on the clock" statement, companies (not the individual on drugs) are screwed if an employee on drugs kills or harms someone while on the clock. Drug testing is the only way to guarantee that the employee will never be on drugs while on the clock. Note - Evidence of a comprehensive drug testing policy will go a long way in covering a company from indemnity in the event of an employee on drugs causing death or harm to another.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:35 AM   #28
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Drug testing is the only way to guarantee that the employee will never be on drugs while on the clock.
Thats some razor thin rationale right there....
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:41 AM   #29
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Companies can't do anything about alcohol since it's legal. Drugs are illegal so companies can and do test for them for liability / insurance reasons (i.e. if alcohol was illegal, companies would also be testing for it). As far a your "on the clock" statement, companies (not the individual on drugs) are screwed if an employee on drugs kills or harms someone while on the clock. Drug testing is the only way to guarantee that the employee will never be on drugs while on the clock. Note - Evidence of a comprehensive drug testing policy will go a long way in covering a company from indemnity in the event of an employee on drugs causing death or harm to another.
Still, an employee being drunk on the clock and causing an incident would cause just as many problems for the employer.

And drug testing isn't the only way to guarantee an employee isn't on drugs on the clock. First of all, drug testing can be beaten/faked quite easily. And secondly, if an employee is on drugs, it's probably going to be quite obvious, and then you can just fire them.

Also, what are companies supposed to do in situations like we now have in Washington and Colorado, where the people legalized recreational use of marijuana for people over 21 years of age?

I think it's quite hilarious people get all up and arms about their rights when people talk about taking guns away but then freely let companies trample and **** all over their right to privacy and live their lives the way they choose on their personal time.

When I leave work, it's none of their damn business what I'm doing as long as I'm not committing any crimes. And since marijuana is now decriminalized in my state and carries no more weight than a parking ticket, it's nobody's business but my own what I'm doing on my free time.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:31 PM   #30
smithrh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
Most hourly (non-salaried) jobs at a lot of places. Almost all manufacturing sort of jobs.
Oh, it can go a lot (a LOT) higher than that in the corporate hierarchy. When my old company was sold to another company, everyone (everyone) had to take a drug test as a condition of being "hired" by the new company.

No exceptions. CEO, CFO, etc all the way down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
I've never been drug tested personally. I really wouldn't care either way if it was a requirement for hiring or during my employment as I have nothing to hide.
I always like that boast - so let's see if you truly mean it - post your driver's license number, SSN and of your two credit card numbers here.

This shouldn't be a problem, right? You just said you had nothing to hide, so type them on in...
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:49 AM   #31
smithrh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post

I always like that boast - so let's see if you truly mean it - post your driver's license number, SSN and of your two credit card numbers here.

This shouldn't be a problem, right? You just said you had nothing to hide, so type them on in...
Just like I thought. An empty boast.
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:47 PM   #32
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Quote:
Taking that a bit literally, are we? What does accepting a drug test as a condition of employment (free-market people should love this ****!) have to do with posting your ssn and credit card numbers on a public forum?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:31 PM   #33
astrorider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
I think it's quite hilarious people get all up and arms about their rights when people talk about taking guns away but then freely let companies trample and **** all over their right to privacy and live their lives the way they choose on their personal time.
Nothing hilarious there at all. The Constitution protects citizens against "unreasonable search and seizure" by the government, not by private employers. This is why government employers are much more restricted in doing drug testing (except cases where public safety is affected) but private employers aren't. Similarly, a private business can refuse service to a gun owner even though he has a Constitutional right to own a gun (being a gun owner isn't a protected class in the Civil Rights Act).

Quote:
When I leave work, it's none of their damn business what I'm doing as long as I'm not committing any crimes. And since marijuana is now decriminalized in my state and carries no more weight than a parking ticket, it's nobody's business but my own what I'm doing on my free time.
If your employer thinks your legal behavior is inappropriate and/or inconsistent with their values, in most jobs they're perfectly justified to let you go (again, assuming no CRA protected discrimination).
astrorider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 07:53 AM   #34
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Drugs are illegal and it's a big liability issue if an accident occurs at work and the person is found to be on drugs. Profiling would be illegal so everyone gets tested. As I stated earlier, drug testing is for company liability / insurance reasons. You can also decline to be tested but you may not be hired.

----------

They must figure that a government employee doesn't work anyhow :P .
Is this an issue in any other country? My first job in Canada was the first one I wasn't drug tested for.
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:12 PM   #35
malman89
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Oh, it can go a lot (a LOT) higher than that in the corporate hierarchy. When my old company was sold to another company, everyone (everyone) had to take a drug test as a condition of being "hired" by the new company.

No exceptions. CEO, CFO, etc all the way down the line.

Quote:
More like too busy living life to check an online forum every day. Sorry, buddy. My urine, background, motor vehicle, and credit background are all clear. I'll leave disclosing that information to whomever I choose.

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues