Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 18, 2013, 03:35 AM   #176
Rajani Isa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
Yes

1. They employ millions of people and pay them more than competitors
2. They buy produce from local sources
3. Each store has a 2 million dollar charity budget annually. It's given to football teams schools, and many other charitable causes
4. They are cheap. Things you would pay 40 bucks for are only 23 etc.
5. Taxes going into the local economy
6. Businesses around them flourish. A new Walmart popped up around here and business has been booming for the local places
7. It's is one of only 2 employers I've ever had that WILL NOT allow you to work off the clock. It's illegal, but other employers almost insist you do
8. It's convenient. Everything is in one place. Buy a TV, groceries, new cell phone, all in one place.
9. They price match. Even when you find a lower price, they price match
10. If you ever have a customer service problem (you will eventually if not often depending on the location) complain to home office and get a 25$ gift card

Walmart isn't perfect by any means, but nowhere near as bad as the media makes it out to be.
They may have done a lot to improve their image, but :

1 - Proof?
2 - Does it matter? Of the many Walmarts I've been in (as a kid I did a lot of traveling, parental types liked Walmart prices) only two would I of been willing to by their produce after looking at it from 20 feet away. And both were brand new stores at the time.
3 - I've never seen evidence of that, and until recently we had three Walmarts. Now it's just two, (although one of the two shut down ones is simply being remodeled).
4 - And a good amount of that cheap stuff is "Made for Walmart" - aka specifically made cheaper so the manufacturers can meet Walmart's demands for price while still making money.
5 - There have been many complaints that Walmart increases the burden on state programs, as many of their employees are without benefits due to how the stores schedule them or simply don't offer benefits.
6 - Before one of the Walmarts closed, several shops went out of business nearby (the Walmart closed because a nearby Super opening). The new Walmart has had 1 new store open near by, and it's a paint store that had another location that was quite busy on it's own.
7 - While the first couple pages of results didn't have anything too recent, googling "Walmart Lock-ins" can be scary.
8 - Except, in my experience, customer service. If I want everything all in one place AND CS, I got to Fred Meyers. (Note, neither place tends to be friendly to shoe sizes over 13, I'll admit).
9 - Many places price match. And of course they price match when you find a lower price - who would advertise a service of RAISING their prices to match their competitor?
10 - I shouldn't have to go above the store level to get something resembling a satisfactory resolution.
Rajani Isa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues