Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

St0rMl0rD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Slovenia
Hi guys,

So I've got this big deal coming my way and the customer requires printing from the iPad on-the-go. This means a person using this having an iPad, loading up a webpage and then printing it out anywhere they currently are, connected via cable to a mobile printer.

Does anyone have any clues on this solution?

Thanks!
-J

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
As far as I know, there's no way to do that with an iPad.

The best you're gonna get is to get a wifi printer that is AirPrint compatible. I don't know of any mobile printers with AirPrint, though. Also, I'm not sure if any of these wifi printers work without a separate router, so your client may need to have a small wifi (travel) router as well.

ft

I found this with a quick search.

http://genuinely-original.blogspot.com/search/label/iPad Printing

wadjj

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
There is no way he can do this, I don't think they have a mobile printer in the list of airprint compatible models. Not to mention with a cable. The only way iOs can communicate with printers is through a simplified protocol, airprint protocol or whatever you may call it.

St0rMl0rD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Slovenia
So it's iOS that doesn't allow cable printing or there just aren't any apps out there that don't offer that feature?

-J

wadjj

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
So it's iOS that doesn't allow cable printing or there just aren't any apps out there that don't offer that feature?

-J

ios only support airprint protocol and no printer manufacturer has and ever will make a cable version for that purpose. They might produce a portable airprint printer though.

St0rMl0rD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Slovenia
ios only support airprint protocol and no printer manufacturer has and ever will make a cable version for that purpose. They might produce a portable airprint printer though.

Yeah but you still need a Wi-Fi network. Do you have any recommendations on how to solve this? I am sure there are TONS of companies that could use the iPad as a portable device with a printing solution.

-J

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Yeah but you still need a Wi-Fi network. Do you have any recommendations on how to solve this? I am sure there are TONS of companies that could use the iPad as a portable device with a printing solution.

-J

Did you read that link that I posted? The guy there seems to have gotten the HP470 printer working without a wifi network. There's some level of hackery involved, so your client might not want that.

I guess the easiest thing to do, short of waiting for someone to come out with a mobile printer would be to:

1. Install a DC to AC inverter.
2. Buy a travel wifi router
3. Buy an acceptably small Airprint wifi printer.

This will, without a doubt, work.

wadjj

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012

-J

I think the wifi printer can set up an ad hoc network, at least some of them. You don't necessarily need an extra wifi network.

RobesNo1

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
Did you read that link that I posted? The guy there seems to have gotten the HP470 printer working without a wifi network. There's some level of hackery involved, so your client might not want that.

I guess the easiest thing to do, short of waiting for someone to come out with a mobile printer would be to:

1. Install a DC to AC inverter.
2. Buy a travel wifi router
3. Buy an acceptably small Airprint wifi printer.

This will, without a doubt, work.

lol and carry a car battery around too. How portable..... :D

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
lol and carry a car battery around too. How portable..... :D

Aggh. You got me. I don't know why, but I assumed that the printer would be used in a car ... for some reason.

Well, if it's truly to be portable, then just get a small, Airprint printer, a small travel router, and a small surge protector. When you get to the location, then plug it into an available outlet.

I think having an DC to AC inverter in the car, and a extension cord for when you're not, covers 95% of all scenarios.

Why doesn't HP just get on the ball and make a portable, battery-powered, ad-hoc capable inkjet with Airprint?

Meg, get on this now.

rockgalmusic

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2012
suggestion ;)

hi all!
it may be a longshot here, but my friend who works in construction mentioned that they use an ipad, an app called print n share and some brother mobile printer that has its own network, will have to ask him to confirm the model but it may be a brother rj4040? anyhoo may be worth a look
oh and there's no car battery involved lol

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Lantronic xPrintServer Home + portable router + any portable USB printer

Should be able to adapt a battery to power the router + server fairly easy.

JonDundee

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
Solution

The answer is to have a power inverter installed in the vehicle that is capable of the power requirements of a printing first booting up (2400w or so), finding a printer that is Airprint compatible and can be connected to a wi-fi network via an onscreen display, and pairing the ipad to the printer via Personal hotspot on the Ipad. Then printing is easy via Airprint from Safari, etc. on the Ipad. The printer I used was Brother HL-5470DW, Power inverter installed by a Car Audio outfit, and using the new IPad (3). Create a personal hotspot on the Ipad with a password, then connect the printer to that hotspot with the network setup via WLAN setting with the Network settings on the printer, and Voila. Works perfect. No need for a seperate router installed in the vehicle.

Cheers

daytona

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Just a brain fart here.......
What about a Lightning or 30-pin connector to USB and then to the printer? Similar to the AV connector... USB will go both ways....it's only signals. just my $.02 worth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.