Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stavs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
I have a 160gb iPod classic and am out of space. I want to upgrade the drive to 240gb, and am not comfortable doing the upgrade myself. Can anyone recommend a business that will do the upgrade as well as provide the drive? I've seen some places want $200 for the drive, but it looks like amazon sells the drives for $65. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I have a 160gb iPod classic and am out of space. I want to upgrade the drive to 240gb, and am not comfortable doing the upgrade myself. Can anyone recommend a business that will do the upgrade as well as provide the drive? I've seen some places want $200 for the drive, but it looks like amazon sells the drives for $65. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Doing a web search on "ipod repair" resulted in a few companies that repair iPods. from that list, the 2 I would look at are:I did not see an upgrade service listed from either one, however, you could contact them and ask about it. What I liked about both sites is that the repair costs were laid out clearly.

I have note used either service and so I don't know anything about eithe rone, except for what is on their websites.

MC42D0

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2013
I would recommend selling it as is and buying a new 7th generation with the upgraded hard drive and plate ONLY. Make sure all the other parts have remained genuine apple for good fit, finish and feel.

You want to make sure the hard drive is brand new and I would also recommend having your battery replaced for a bigger one.

This guy sells the ipod classic 7th generation with an upgraded brand new 240gb hard drive and a brand new back plate printed 240GB. The good thing about this listing is that the seller ONLY changed the hard drive and the back plate and everything else remained stock. Some of the replacement clickwheels are really of bad quality and don't sit flush with the front cover so one's best bet is for everything to be genuine Apple as these listings states.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130951019245?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/genuine...ion-w-upgraded-240gb-hard-drive-114303176.htm

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
An ebay shop without listed prices / products and doing business outside of ebay. Seems scammy and probably self promotion.

Just message him on eBay and ask him about his pricing and what parts he has available, and you should be able to get the ball rolling.

Again, his member id is [snip]

Best of Luck With the Upgrade!

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA

I would say you should take it to a computer repair store and see what they can do for you. If you really would just rather do it yourself I would by the hard drive and go to ifixit's website and see how to take it apart...I don't recommend it and it also voids apples warranty to upgrade whether you upgrade it yourself or you take it to a repair shop...

foldthe

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2014
it would be cheaper to do it yourself. i use an ebay seller. data integrity solutions and have never been disappointed. the case on that model is very difficult to open however due to metal clips and requires extreme patience.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It's against ebay rules to use their system to conduct service outside of ebay.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html

So you are going around on multiple forums promoting this specific rule breaker. I wonder why?

I would just like to say that, believe it or not, people do conduct business outside of the "buy it now" option on eBay.

Business in which one contacts a company, in this case an individual, haggles prices, and agrees to pay for a service on one's own terms, is legitimate business.

I looked around for quite a bit to upgrade my 160 GB iPod.

Had it not been for finding a reference to that eBay member on the Apple Forums, I probably wouldn't have upgraded my iPod. The RapidRepair prices are just a bit too steep.

I posted the whole background info, because I realize that some people may want a NAND based iPod, and if they're willing to pay those kind of prices, all the more power to them. I was just trying to give them information that they could use to make the best decision for themselves.

To put it bluntly, I was looking to upgrade my iPod to 240 GB and I feel I found a great repair shop in Colorado to do it for me, even though I live in Iowa. I just wanted to share my findings. It's way easier to buy a harddrive and have someone else install it than to open up the iPod. I wouldn't wish opening an iPod on my worst enemy.

I'm not going to post the exact prices, because that is between the customer and the business to decide upon. That's kind of important when doing that kind of business.

I'll delete my offensive post, but I just wanted to say that I thought that I was helping the conversation.

The thread is: "Where to Get 240gb iPod Classic Upgrade" and I believe my post was more than pertinent to that.

That's all I'm saying. :)

p.s. I really don't see the distinction between advising people to go to RapidRepair and advising people to go a (more) private company. You pay for a product, and/or service, and it gets handled accordingly.

EDIT:

I've edited out the previous post.

mike.pass

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2014
it would be cheaper to do it yourself. i use an eBay seller. data integrity solutions and have never been disappointed. the case on that model is very difficult to open however due to metal clips and requires extreme patience.

Patience is the key word.

There are several, several guides online and YouTube videos of opening an iPod and of the hard drive replacement process. I'd recommend watching quite a few before starting.

Apparently a metal putty scraper can be the way to go. It's mostly important not to scratch or damage the casing. Most of the opening tools sold online can be a bit flimsy. You may want to use several of them at a time to reduce local stresses and get good access to a clip in order to disengage it. You need to physically unclip the metal clips holding the casing so tightly in place.

Be careful. A few people I've seen that have opened iPods end with huge scratches along the sides of their front plates.

Also, try and do work in as static-free of an environment as you can.

As far as buying an HDD for yourself, the Toshiba 1.8" MK2431GAH, is what I bought. I'm not sure if you have to use this exact HDD, but as Toshiba produces the OEM iPod HDDs, it definitely works with the 5th Gen and 7th Gen iPods by just switching out the drives.

eBay, at the moment, is the cheapest source online for the MK2431GAH. I don't believe that that data-integrity-solutions has any as of this posting.

However, I found mine for cheaper on Google Shop. It checks quite a few sources, including eBay, and sometimes you can find the drive for cheaper. The listings update often, and so it's worth checking from time to time when you're buying these kind of things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.