Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charliem78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
This might sound a little crazy but I was wondering if it was possible to make a dual boot setup for my Mac mini. One being OS X mountain lion and the other being Apple TV. I like the Apple TV interface for my home theatre needs but found the hardware weak and not very powerful so I upgraded to a Mac mini. Is it possible to have the best of both worlds?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It is possible to install Apple TV OS 2.1 and lower on Intell Macs. But only on the first generation of Intell Macs because Apple TV OS is based on 10.4.9. None of the first generation Intell Mac Minis can run Mountain Lion. Because of this, it cannot be done on your Mac Mini.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
I kind of don't see the point, unless there's a specific channel on ATV that cannot be accessed through Mac Mini.

Try installing XBMC on Mac Mini, which might surprise you if you haven't used it before.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I kind of don't see the point, unless there's a specific channel on ATV that cannot be accessed through Mac Mini.

Try installing XBMC on Mac Mini, which might surprise you if you haven't used it before.

XBMC or Plex would be a great fit for a Mac Mini vs (even if possible) ATV software.

Charliem78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Yes xbmc is great and I do have it installed I mostly want Apple TV software for the Netflix app. I like just being able to use my apple remote to control all my media and I can't do that now (I still need to occasionally pick up a mouse or exit XBMC and load a web browser for Netflix or iTunes since I'm not fond of XBMC music player)

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
On my old 2007-ish Mini I had Front Row that really worked pretty well when I used that as a HTPC. I ended up getting ATV and moved the Mini to being just a media server but for those that still want the Mini directly attached to their TV, it's unfortunate that Front Row is gone now.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012

How does Plex work nowadays? I remember it from long time ago as media-player, but if you look it up now, it only seems to be a server module.

XBMC has an Apple-TV lookalike frontend BTW.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
How does Plex work nowadays?

works great.
plex now uses a client / server model.

the server works on windows, mac and linux.

the client (player) works on windows, mac, iOS, android, roku, jailbroken aTV (so a 2), and some LG and Samsung TVs.
-you can watch in a web browser, so you can use linux if you wanted.

you can run the client and server on the same computer.

if the client isn't capable of playing a certain media file, the server will convert it on the fly as you watch it. So you can have an uncompressed blu-ray in your library, and play it back on any of your other devices. and if you have a decent internet upstream connection, you can even watch away from home over the internet.
and you could start a show on one client, stop, then change to any other client and pick back up at the same spot.

they also have to ability to sync files to your mobile device so you can watch offline.
(currently in paid beta, and only available with iOS)

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I wish there was an Apple TV OS mac app , where you could tap on the app on the Mac mini and see the Apple TV OS

This would be great for people who connect there Mac mini to the tv

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I'd also like to try atv on a mac.
Just because there would be surround sound with Netflix with atv, but not with osX.
I'd rather buy macs that can be used in more ways than atv.
So is there any way to install new versions like os6 or os7 on a mac?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'd also like to try atv on a mac.
Just because there would be surround sound with Netflix with atv, but not with osX.
I'd rather buy macs that can be used in more ways than atv.
So is there any way to install new versions like os6 or os7 on a mac?

No, those are ARM based and cannot run on anything by an iOS device.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
No, those are ARM based and cannot run on anything by an iOS device.
So there's no emulator for this?
Just run a mac mini and a apple tv to your tv. Apple tv is only $80.0 refurb. I have 2 refurbs and can't tell the difference from the 2 new ones.
807 days since atv was updated. 1038 since mini with dGPU was updated. So I just say no to both now.
I'd rather buy bd-player with netflix...

SpinalTap

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
Bournville, UK
Until recently I used two 2009 Mac Mini's: one as my primary Mac and the other as a dedicated HTPC. Separately, my ATV was used to access iTunes movie rentals.

I now own a single 2012 Mac Mini. I use AirPlay to stream everything to my ATV via Devolo homeplugs to my television.

I use Hippo Remote on my iPhone to control the Mac Mini that is located upstairs from my lounge which is located downstairs.

In this set up I can access PLEX or XBMC content without issue. Likewise, accessing foreign networks via VPN is a breeze.

It works so well that I've sold one of my 2009 Mac Mini's and am in the process of selling the second.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Until recently I used two 2009 Mac Mini's: one as my primary Mac and the other as a dedicated HTPC. Separately, my ATV was used to access iTunes movie rentals.

I now own a single 2012 Mac Mini. I use AirPlay to stream everything to my ATV via Devolo homeplugs to my television.

I use Hippo Remote on my iPhone to control the Mac Mini that is located upstairs from my lounge which is located downstairs.

In this set up I can access PLEX or XBMC content without issue. Likewise, accessing foreign networks via VPN is a breeze.

It works so well that I've sold one of my 2009 Mac Mini's and am in the process of selling the second.
I guess that you don't use Netflix or don't need 5.1 audio with Netflix?

SpinalTap

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
Bournville, UK
I guess that you don't use Netflix or don't need 5.1 audio with Netflix?

It's not an issue: I watch Netflix via my AppleTV to facilitate Dolby Digital (as I do with iTunes movie rentals). Netflix via my Mac Mini doesn't offer 5.1 listening.

Even so, when I formally used my C2D Mac Mini as an HTPC, Display Preferences automatically configured usage with my Panasonic plasma. I have been pleasantly surprised to discover when enabling AirPlay between my 2012 Mac Mini and AppleTV that Display Preferences still shows direct configuration of my Panasonic plasma. That is, my Panasonic plasma is listed as one of the calibrated display configurations. Neat!

Notwithstanding, VPN on my Mac Mini enables television viewing from other territories, while PLEX and XBMC on my Mac Mini streams perfectly to my AppleTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.