Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Hello

So I think my HDD might be dying on my windows laptop - or this is how its always been I'm not sure.

Look at this speed test - how does this compared with MBA? Will I see a dramatic difference spinning up virtual machines from the SSD?

This current laptop goes crazy after loading 2 virtual machines and then HDD temp goes to 59 degrees c.

thanks

rhqq0w.jpg

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Access times for VM's on my MBA SSD are sensational! Linux VM's boot in seconds, almost as quick as the native OS X host.

I have used SSD drives in all my machines for the past few years. My last being used in an Acer TimelineX 4820t and I would not go back.

What are the specs of your HP, it may be worth while upgrading to an SSD. I'm not trying to put you off purchasing a MBA as these things are beasts! But if you have a relatively equal specced machine it could last you a while longer with an SSD.

MyAppleWorld

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Access times for VM's on my MBA SSD are sensational! Linux VM's boot in seconds, almost as quick as the native OS X host.

I have used SSD drives in all my machines for the past few years. My last being used in an Acer TimelineX 4820t and I would not go back.

What are the specs of your HP, it may be worth while upgrading to an SSD. I'm not trying to put you off purchasing a MBA as these things are beasts! But if you have a relatively equal specced machine it could last you a while longer with an SSD.

I'm running a core2duo 2.26ghz, 5 gb ram, windows 7 x64 ultimate, nvidia 9200m 256mb graphics, discrete i believe.

msjones, how many vm's can you run concurrently? I'm talking about ssd bottle neck, not RAM. i dont mind a slight slowdown but it gets rediculous when you type on the keyboard and takes a long while for the characters to appear lol

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Because I only have a 64GB drive in my mac, I just run my main linux VM off the SSD. However, I have an external USB 3.0 128GB SSD and from that run 3-4 machines with no issue at all.

I also have an external USB 3.0 500GB 7200RPM drive which runs VM's well, but not as fast as the SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.