Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnack111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
Hi everyone. I'm coming back to iOS after a brief time with android. I went into a local AT&T corporate store just to check stock of 32g iPhone 5, I would have to pay the 250$ early upgrade fee to get one.
The rep offered me a pair of Bluetooth Beats headphones (280$ value) thrown in if I upgraded. Actually I would pay 582$ instead of 550$ (the price of early upgrade 32g) and get the headphones. He said so it wouldn't feel like I was just throwing the early upgrade fee away! Sounding too good to be true, I took his card and asked him if the deal would still be good if I got back to him, he said yes.
Has anyone ever heard of this??? I'm just afraid of getting a bill for the headphones at some point, you know what they say about "if it sounds too good"
Thanks

----------

Meant 580$

May 8, 2008
Eh, I'd go for it.

You still have the guys card and the store location if it goes south later on.

FWIW, I'd sell the headphones to defray the cost of the iPhone.

gnack111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
Eh, I'd go for it.

You still have the guys card and the store location if it goes south later on.

FWIW, I'd sell the headphones to defray the cost of the iPhone.

He suggested selling them on Craigslist to offset the cost. I was thinking of a Xmas gift. Still sketchy to me though

gnack111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
Just read a couple reviews about these headphones, getting an understanding of why they're free.

jimenez1642

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
Michigan
It's probably because he will get a commision on the accessories he sells and an upgrade commission as well and in the end he will get 30 extra dollars out of the transaction and just waive the upgrade fee. It's a win win situation if you want the iPhone right now, because like you said its not a complete wasted 250 dollars since you get something for your money.

gnack111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
It's probably because he will get a commision on the accessories he sells and an upgrade commission as well and in the end he will get 30 extra dollars out of the transaction and just waive the upgrade fee. It's a win win situation if you want the iPhone right now, because like you said its not a complete wasted 250 dollars since you get something for your money.

Cool, I think I'll go back this week. Thanks

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
When buying a phone at the AT&T store, they wanted to throw $72 in upgrade fees so I complained and they threw in some free cases and chargers.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
When buying a phone at the AT&T store, they wanted to throw $72 in upgrade fees so I complained and they threw in some free cases and chargers.

I'd give customer service a call or chat with them online to see if they can credit you $72. There's a long thread on here about getting the activation fee waived/credited back.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'd give customer service a call or chat with them online to see if they can credit you $72. There's a long thread on here about getting the activation fee waived/credited back.

Haha yeah, I also called them just to see what they could do and they gave me back $72. So I got some free accessories basically.

I always thought going to the store was a hassle and a PITA but it s not too terrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.