Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:30 PM   #1
razzydazzle99
macrumors newbie

Multiple Names for a single iPhone contact?

Hi everyone. I'm wondering if it is possible to have multiple names for a single iPhone contact.

For example, if I had a contact named Ted Anderson but also wanted this contact to be known as dad. Can this be done ? Also, can this be done in a way where Siri will call the contact by their "dad" name in addition to their actual name?

Thanks for reading
razzydazzle99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:48 PM   #2
iErick
macrumors member

I use the nick name section for this.
iErick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:50 PM   #3
Nand
macrumors regular

From apple / Siri FAQ...

Siri helps you by learning about the key people in your life. The first time you ask Siri to call your sister, it will ask you who your sister is. That information is stored in Contacts along with other relationship information like “mom,” “husband,” and “grandma.”
Nand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:13 AM   #4
razzydazzle99
macrumors newbie

Great responses!

So if I use nickname that will call them using only the name. If I say call sister, and Siri asks who it is, will Siri build a relationship for that on my own contact info or will that just add nickname to her?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:23 AM   #5
razzydazzle99
macrumors newbie

Interesting...

If I say "call mom" Siri will infact call my mom who has the nickname mom.

If I say "call my mom" Siri says she doesn't know who my mom is or who I even am, despite the mom nickname existing for her. (I don't have a contact card for myself).
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:22 AM   #6
aconnell11
macrumors newbie

Nicknames and relationships are set up differently. As soon as you say "my", it looks for a relationship to that person within your own contact. Set up a contact for yourself and say to Siri " so and so is my mother" and it will confirm the relationship so you can say "my mom" without confusion.
aconnell11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:48 AM   #7
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconnell11 View Post
Nicknames and relationships are set up differently. As soon as you say "my", it looks for a relationship to that person within your own contact. Set up a contact for yourself and say to Siri " so and so is my mother" and it will confirm the relationship so you can say "my mom" without confusion.
Yep. OP, it's made so that you could have your father be known as:

Jonathan (name)
Jon (nickname)
Dad (Siri-known relationship)

You put the relationship in the nickname field, so that's where the weirdness is coming from.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone