Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Inframan
macrumors member

How Can I Allow a Blu-ray To Simply Be Read as a File So I can Convert it?

Gentleman,

I have been organizing my Movie Collection lately and I would like to know if there is a way I can Bypass me having to buy a Blu-Ray Drive?

I don't want to watch Blu-Ray Disc's on my Mac Pro Tower, I just need to be able to insert the Blu-Ray Disc and have the file show up so I can use my Program Wonder-Share to Convert it to MP4 so i can add it to my iTune's Movie Libary. I torrent Blu-Ray Content all the time and it downloads with no problems and it even plays and converts just fine but once I insert a Blu-Ray Disc, the drive automatically Spits it back out not allowing me to gain access to the data. There has to be a way to bypass that block? Any Suggestion? Thank You - Jon
Inframan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:13 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

A Blu Ray disc is burned differently and has up to 50 GB of capacity (thus is actually more dense) compared to 4.7 GB or 8.5 GB on a DVD (which is less dense compared to a Blu Ray), thus you need a Blu Ray reader to actually read the files (there are folders and files on there, not just one single file) on Blu Ray discs, otherwise there would have been tons of guides out there on how to use a simple DVD drive to read Blu Rays and there would be no need for Blu Ray disc drives.
How-To: Automating DVD & Blu-Ray (Backup, Encoding & Tagging) for Mac OS X 10.6
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Inframan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
A Blu Ray disc is burned differently and has up to 50 GB of capacity (thus is actually more dense) compared to 4.7 GB or 8.5 GB on a DVD (which is less dense compared to a Blu Ray), thus you need a Blu Ray reader to actually read the files (there are folders and files on there, not just one single file) on Blu Ray discs, otherwise there would have been tons of guides out there on how to use a simple DVD drive to read Blu Rays and there would be no need for Blu Ray disc drives.
How-To: Automating DVD & Blu-Ray (Backup, Encoding & Tagging) for Mac OS X 10.6
I see, Do you recommend any inexpensive Blu-Ray players that would work well for the mac pro and OS X?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:34 PM   #4
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inframan View Post
I see, Do you recommend any inexpensive Blu-Ray players that would work well for the mac pro and OS X?
I cannot give you any recommendations, as I do not have one, but maybe an Advanced Search or MRoogle can help you with that while waiting for more answers.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Inframan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
I cannot give you any recommendations, as I do not have one, but maybe an Advanced Search or MRoogle can help you with that while waiting for more answers.
Sounds good ! Thanks for clearing that up for me...

Take Care -
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:43 PM   #6
colshine
macrumors regular

I recently purchased the Samsung SE-506AB Blu-ray drive. IMO it was reasonably priced and does everything I need.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X