Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
The MC516LL/A model, stock config with the battery and charger and no functional issues. Is $430 a fair price for it? I'll probably install a 128 GB SSD for my daughter which would bring it to $500. Thanks!

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
The MC516LL/A model, stock config with the battery and charger and no functional issues. Is $430 a fair price for it? I'll probably install a 128 GB SSD for my daughter which would bring it to $500. Thanks!

I think that's very fair, pending it's in good shape.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks for the comments. It's on ebay and supposedly in good condition with minor blemishes. Has some AppleCare left on it as well. I'm going to buy it. Hopefully it's as good as advertised.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I don't know that I'd spring for an SSD. Perhaps if you've got one just lying around.

I do have an extra 128 GB Samsung 830 SSD. Probably overkill for that machine, but would make it much snappier.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
It's a respectable price. It's not great by any stretch but nothing one would flip out and have a stroke over if they saw other comparatively specced models for sale. Just remember that laptops, mice and keyboards are imfamously gross. They literally scream germ trap. If you must buy used on any of these products, clean it like your life depends on it because there are documented studies on how filthy these are.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Well, the 2010 white MacBook arrived today. Better condition than I was envisioning (just a small crack at one of the lid hinge corners). Very clean otherwise. AND when i registered it to my account, it still has AppleCare for about 13 months left on it! Pretty happy. Now for more RAM and the SSD.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Well, the 2010 white MacBook arrived today. Better condition than I was envisioning (just a small crack at one of the lid hinge corners). Very clean otherwise. AND when i registered it to my account, it still has AppleCare for about 13 months left on it! Pretty happy. Now for more RAM and the SSD.

My friend had that same crack and Apple fixed it under Apple Care for nothing.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
My friend had that same crack and Apple fixed it under Apple Care for nothing.

Really? Well then, I think I may just take it to the local Genius Bar tomorrow! Do you know by chance if it took a long time to fix? I'd almost imagine that it's the entire lid they'd have to replace. Thanks.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Really? Well then, I think I may just take it to the local Genius Bar tomorrow! Do you know by chance if it took a long time to fix? I'd almost imagine that it's the entire lid they'd have to replace. Thanks.

The told him 5 days. They called the next day and said it was fixed.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Great! I'll take it in and see if they will fix it for free as well since it's under AppleCare.

do it, I took my 07 ~1-2 years back and got the palmrest changed for free and they also changed the plastic around the screen.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I took it to my local Genius Bar today and they didn't give me any grief or anything...they are replacing the "Display Housing Kit, with Bezel" for free (thanks AppleCare!). I should have it back in 3-5 days.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
That's a pretty good deal! That's the 2.4GHz unibody white Macbook eh? That was the last one they made. I had that one + the one before it (2.26GHz unibody). Even though the bodies were the same, a little "bonus add-on" Apple put into your model was that the mini-displayport passed audio as well (the previous version did not) so if you hook up a mini-displayport to HDMI cable from the Macbook to your TV, it should pass the sound as well as video. Good for impromptu MediaPC usage :).

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
That's a pretty good deal! That's the 2.4GHz unibody white Macbook eh? That was the last one they made. I had that one + the one before it (2.26GHz unibody). Even though the bodies were the same, a little "bonus add-on" Apple put into your model was that the mini-displayport passed audio as well (the previous version did not) so if you hook up a mini-displayport to HDMI cable from the Macbook to your TV, it should pass the sound as well as video. Good for impromptu MediaPC usage :).

Thanks. Yeah, especially with the repair that Apple is performing right now, I am pretty happy with the deal on this. After I install the SSD and RAM into it, I'll have right about $500 into it. I likely will give it to my daughter (unless she really really wants to keep her Win 8 laptop because it's pink or something). I was even thinking of "downgrading" and keeping it for myself, but I think I'll stick with my MBA. I bet they will both seem just as fast as each other after the 2010 MB gets upgraded for 95% of the tasks we use it for.

I still have one of those mini-displayport to HDMI adapters which is handy for this 2010 MB. But one thing to me that is a negative on the 2010, which I use here and there with my 2012 MBA, is that the 2010 cannot AirPlay display via Apple TV. I read it's due to the graphics chipset or something. Of course I can with a wire, but the wireless mode is really nice via Apple TV with my MBA, iPad, and iPhone from time to time.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I took it to my local Genius Bar today and they didn't give me any grief or anything...they are replacing the "Display Housing Kit, with Bezel" for free (thanks AppleCare!). I should have it back in 3-5 days.

So for $430 it will look brand new! I'm glad it worked out for you also!

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I got the MacBook back from the Apple Store yesterday with the brand new top case and bezel (same screen). Looks beautiful and just like brand new!

For any of you out there that are getting the stress cracks on the hinges and are still under AppleCare, they replaced this for free with no hassles at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.