Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:50 AM   #51
MLG
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
They bought a whole company to implement it into the "iPhone"? Do you have a source on that?

There is a lot of other things they could be doing with that tech, Apple makes more then just iPhones. Plus its not uncommon for a company like Apple to buy another company then not do anything with it in the end. Maybe when the Atrix came out with a scanner Apple thought it was a step in the right direction so they bought out that company but now have decided to crush that plan after seeing how much of a gimmick it was in Android.

Then again who knows maybe they are going to release some fantastic new fingerprint scanning tech on an iPhone.
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/07/...r-356-million/

Nobody would spend $356 million to buy a company, specifically a company that specializes in fingerprint scanners for mobile devices, if they weren't planning on incorporating their products. It was just a matter of time. It will be the first step in providing real security to allow mobile payments through NFC. I wouldn't be surprised to see both products released simultaneously on a future iPhone, probably the 5S.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR45 View Post
And I'm 90% chance it won't
Let's meet back here in September.
MLG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 01:52 PM   #52
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLG View Post

Nobody would spend $356 million to buy a company, specifically a company that specializes in fingerprint scanners for mobile devices, if they weren't planning on incorporating their products. It was just a matter of time. It will be the first step in providing real security to allow mobile payments through NFC. I wouldn't be surprised to see both products released simultaneously on a future iPhone, probably the 5S.

----------

OK. I'll keep this as a favorite
SR45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 02:35 PM   #53
Stellarola
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Stellarola
This is a button from China. It's a replaceable home button for iPhone 5. This is NOT official. It's simply a cosmetic replacement. You can get them for around $15USD. It lights up too via a LED mod.
Stellarola is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 03:10 PM   #54
iDominic
macrumors member

I would love it, but highly doubt it on the 5S.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 04:53 PM   #55
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLG View Post

----------

So you think the 5S will be a redesign? Maybe the 6?

I think its safe to say if Apple added additional hardware for the first time to the "S" model it will be redesigned and not be the 5S but be the 6. Authentec hasn't made or created anything that doesn't require your entire print obviously, not much of a fingerprint scanner if it doesn't use your entire print. So it will need a larger home button (assuming its in the home button) or behind the screen. Then room for the hardware within.

All this for what? To unlock the phone? Or to add NFC. So now we've taken the "S" that never gets additional hardware and added two additional pieces of hardware. Plus we are well passed the leaked logic board pictures (probably fake) because there's no NFC chip or scanner IC. Add that on and now you need a new case to house the logic board or make the battery smaller.

NFC is already more secure then the credit card everyone carries around since you need a PIN. Why would I want to use my fingerprint to buy eggs and milk? Is the government buying out Apple who will surely be keeping all our fingerprints neatly on file.

Just assuming you are correct, that stuff might be incorporated in the iPhone 6. One that is actually designed for it. I don't think we will see that till Fall 2014 though.

Keep in mind Apples investment doesn't mean it will make it into their next product or the product after that or the one after that.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 07:00 PM   #56
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 65816

How about they get rid of that silly mechanical home button altogether and go digital, and incorporate some sort of indicator light?
NovemberWhiskey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 09:42 AM   #57
TheProFTW
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellarola View Post
This is a button from China. It's a replaceable home button for iPhone 5. This is NOT official. It's simply a cosmetic replacement. You can get them for around $15USD. It lights up too via a LED mod.
I will ask for one thing: proof.
TheProFTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 01:01 PM   #58
Stellarola
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Stellarola
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProFTW View Post
I will ask for one thing: proof.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-...831439157.html
Stellarola is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 04:40 PM   #59
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
But it HAS to be a finger print scanner not some over priced light up Chinese aftermarket home button!!!

Lol

/thread
Old Jul 2, 2013, 05:15 PM   #60
sviato
macrumors 68000

I'm going to laugh when there's no fingerprint scanner this september
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 07:42 PM   #61
TheProFTW
macrumors regular

Quote:
That looks sexy. Shame the price

----------

Quote:
That looks sexy. And the price ain't bad, it's $140 for the whole lot.
TheProFTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 03:43 PM   #62
Vinamra
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Vinamra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCRhTcohVJQ

Skip to 7:32 to see what the button is all about!
Old Jul 4, 2013, 05:19 PM   #63
JarScott
macrumors 6502a

It seems to me that Apple is about allowing their products to speak for themselves and the only branding being a single iconic Apple logo on the back which is instantly recognisable. None of this messy logo on every inch of blank space which Samsung seem to be into.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:15 PM   #64
Creibold
macrumors regular

One of the main reasons I continue to buy the iPhone, aside from the OS, is that they do not have any branding on the front. This would ruin it for me.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone