Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deadeyeshark

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
England
I'm wondering if people who have an iPhone, although have the new iPod touch? If so , why?

While I don't have the new iPod Touch, I do use an iPhone 5 and 4G iPod Touch as video cameras while on holiday, space is always short! Other than that I can't think of another reason to own one. If I did, the other half would take some convincing to get one!

To answer the original point, I think the mini and iPod are two very different beasts. I find I use the mini a lot at home, lounging in front of the TV, using air-play, browsing IMDB while watching movies that sort of thing, love the remote app on the iPad, but the iPad is too large to have balanced on the side of my sofa, but the mini is ideal.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I think a lot of people overlook Apple's biggest iPod touch demographic in these discussions, teens and pre-teens who's parents don't feel that they should have an iPhone (yet). They take these things everywhere, stick them in their pockets, treat them the way many of us do our iPhones. The iPad mini just isn't designed for that level of portability. Sure it's small, compact, easy to toss in a bag, but it's not exactly a pocketable device.

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
Hey all,

I was in the iPad forum and somebody commented how an ipod touch is $299, only $30 less than the iPad mini. I thought, no way...so i checked on Apples website and its true. So I thought, why would anybody not spend the extra $30 and get the iPad mini...so who better to ask than actual iPod owners :) so Im curious, why the iPod over the iPad mini?

They are in most aspect the same, except for the intended use. If people are comfortable enough to read from the tiny screen books, documents, or web surfing, then by all means the iPod is more convenient to carry. However, for some people, watching videos, reading documents, or using navigation on a 8" screen is definitely a clear advantage. On the last app, navigation, an iPad mini with LTE is a class by itself, in which you cannot get an equivalent in iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.