Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
no one "needs" a car. it's a privilege and a great convenience.

I guess you never been to places that is very remote. Your ignorance is forgiven.

Amazing how you had NOT ONE WORD about earning the vehicle yourself. That speaks VOLUMES of today's kids and society. The gimmie, gimmie, gimmie, I deserve it generation.

When I was 15 I did anything and everything to earn a dollar, nothing was below my pride. Cut grass, wash cars, carry grocery bags to the car and help old people load them in for tips.

I earned $500.00, it was enough to buy a used VERY USED car. I washed it waxed it, made it pretty and sold it for $950.00. I keep doing that till I could buy a bran new car with CASH I earned.

SO how about you get off the computer, unplug the Xbox, and earn your way and you will never ever need anyone's opinion on what you should do with the MONEY YOU EARNED.

Ya - I know, foreign concept here in the U.S.A. Under the free cell phone Obama era huh?

The world has change. Stop the "when i was..." Kids didn't have PC/smartphones/tablet before too but it's a norm now.

Last edited:

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
Suprising. My wife grew up in rural Texas. She's been driving since she was 12.

What does that have to do with anything? I've been driving since I was 13. Was it life or death for me? No.

----------

I guess you never been to places that is very remote. Your ignorance is forgiven.

The world has change. Stop the "when i was..." Kids didn't have PC/smartphones/tablet before too but it's a norm now.

1. Read the whole thread.

2. There are other modes of transportation.

3. Opinions are like ******s. Everybody has one. Remember that.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
2. There are other modes of transportation.

Name some. I mean practical ones, that actually serve rural and suburban neighborhoods like mine.

The closest train is 12 miles from my house and takes me no closer than 35 miles to my job.

The closest bus is about 10 miles from my house.

Taxis don't come to my area - I've called to check. I was hoping it was cheaper than driving to and parking at the airport. So that's not an option.

You might mention a bicycle - I live on a rural farm-to-market road. There's no sidewalk or shoulder to ride on. I live about 55 miles from work, one-way, and it's not a bike-friendly area (I would be driving from suburban Dallas to Fort Worth).

So pray, tell me what "other modes of transportation" are available to me and the donkeys who live across the street?

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
What does that have to do with anything? I've been driving since I was 13. Was it life or death for me? No.

It has everything to do with it. My wife NEEDED a car. It was the ONLY way to get around other than her horse (which is more expensive than a car, by the way). There are kids that need access to a car. They don't need to own it, but they will probably need to use it. I hope your kids ride tricycles to their school activities or to do chores for you.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
It has everything to do with it. My wife NEEDED a car. It was the ONLY way to get around other than her horse (which is more expensive than a car, by the way). There are kids that need access to a car. They don't need to own it, but they will probably need to use it. I hope your kids ride tricycles to their school activities or to do chores for you.

ok you win. congrats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.