Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adomian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Hello everyone. I'm looking for a program for the Mac with the following features: It should have a library like iPhoto (not an app for opening specific images like Preview). It should be able to add tags and galleries (or albums in iPhoto). It should also be able to have a preview image for each gallery, kind of like you'd see on some photography websites. It doesn't need to be able to edit images, it can't be an image sharing website, and has to be free. Thanks a lot, I know this is a bit specific, but if anyone knows of any programs like this, please respond.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
The obvious answer is iPhoto. Maybe you should explain what you want that's different than iPhoto.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Either iPhoto or Picasa will fit your description, but what is wrong with iPhoto?

CoffinJoe

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
I'm in the same boat...

...sure a lot has changed since this topic was first posted, but I too would like a basic photo management program: main feature I'd like would be a slideshow feature-- preferably with music, like iPhoto-- and some basic photo editing features.

For those who asked why, from my experience, although iPhoto is pretty good, I've noticed that it does seem to create a TON of duplicate files of every one of your photos, including thumbnails and ones you've edited. Plus I also work in visual effects/horror film makeup, so I'd like to keep those photos in a separate program for confidentiality/tact's sake (once or twice I've been sitting with my 3 and 5-year-old-nephews where they've asked to see some of the family photos we've taken together, and needless to say you don't wanna startle 'em if the first thing that comes up is a picture of a zombie with an axe in its forehead...).

I'll give Picasa and Aperture a look for now, but if there are any other programs that have been developed since, I'm all ears.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
...sure a lot has changed since this topic was first posted, but I too would like a basic photo management program: main feature I'd like would be a slideshow feature-- preferably with music, like iPhoto-- and some basic photo editing features.

For those who asked why, from my experience, although iPhoto is pretty good, I've noticed that it does seem to create a TON of duplicate files of every one of your photos, including thumbnails and ones you've edited. Plus I also work in visual effects/horror film makeup, so I'd like to keep those photos in a separate program for confidentiality/tact's sake (once or twice I've been sitting with my 3 and 5-year-old-nephews where they've asked to see some of the family photos we've taken together, and needless to say you don't wanna startle 'em if the first thing that comes up is a picture of a zombie with an axe in its forehead...).

I'll give Picasa and Aperture a look for now, but if there are any other programs that have been developed since, I'm all ears.

The simplest and most obvious answer is to have two separate libraries, one for work and one for play although work sounds quite a lot like play!

Every time you open iPhoto you pick which library you want to open.

You'll find that every sophisticated image editor creates duplicate files. This is so the whole process is reversible. You don't want to be stuck with just the edited photo if you want to take it in another direction and equally you don't want to load up the full raw file when you just want to look at it at 25%.

If you want more info on creating more libraries check out this link from Apple discussions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.