Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:05 AM   #26
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikicampos View Post
Always look at previous history, almost after every new 10.X release, the previous 10.X.X is the last one and there are no future updates.
But in most cases that last release is very close to the release of the next major version, sometimes even after. At this point there's no way to tell, they could release 10.8.5 in a week or two then work on 10.8.6 until september when 10.9 ships (that would give them around two months, maybe more). Or they could keep working on .5 for a couple months and release that around the time we see 10.9.

We just don't know. People said that .3 and .4 would be the last version. With .5 it's more likely but I still think there's a decent chance we see yet another.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:49 PM   #27
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Always look at previous history, almost after every new 10.X release, the previous 10.X.X is the last one and there are no future updates.
Wow, I'd forgotten 10.4-6 required a year or more each for beta development. Bertrand Serlet wasn't playing around, he pushed OS X development to its edge and made certain GM releases were stable enough for release (there were a few misfires, however those releases had the most drastic system overhauls and features than most OS X releases).

Before 10.7, beta's were released weekly/bi-weekly and required burning the image and a clean install. This allowed for better debugging as it wasn't an "update" over previous beta's that may have third party app's and poorly executed updates which result in unrelated OS X debugging. The move to an iOS based developer structure with 10.7 seems to be negatively impacting current releases (I've never seen so many unresolved bug reports for fellow developers and AppleSeed invitees). Lowering developer memberships a few hundred dollars to $99 was great, but the subsequent push for yearly releases seems rushed and less than stellar.

Last edited by bedifferent; Jul 18, 2013 at 01:42 PM.
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:53 PM   #28
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Really, I don't think it's quite there, better than Lion, but not as good as Snow Leopard.
Lion, i think was faster than 10.8 and 9 on the boot/shutdown.
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 01:41 PM   #29
nikicampos
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
Wow, I'd forgotten 104-6 required a year or more each for beta development. Bertrand Serlet wasn't playing around, he pushed OS X development to its edge and made certain GM releases were stable enough for release (there were a few misfires, however those releases had the most drastic system overhauls and features than most OS X releases).

Before 10.7, beta's were released weekly/bi-weekly and required burning the image and a clean install. This allowed for better debugging as it wasn't an "update" over previous beta's that may have third party app's and poorly executed updates which result in unrelated OS X debugging. The move to an iOS based developer structure with 10.7 seems to be negatively impacting current releases (I've never seen so many unresolved bug reports for fellow developers and AppleSeed invitees). Lowering developer memberships a few hundred dollars to $99 was great, but the subsequent push for yearly releases seems rushed and less than stellar.
I was just saying that judging on past OS X releases I'm not expecting another ML release after 10.8.5

That said, I'm with you on the fact that OS X yearly release is not that good, at least for me, Leopard and Snow Leopard were way better than any other OS X, and that's mainly do to the fact that they lasted almost 2 years.

Unlike iOS, that changes every year do to competition and try to stay fresh and new, OS X shouldn't be that way, I felt that Lion 10.7.4 was pretty good and coming around, then 10.8 came out, so for me that was the end for Lion, now that that ML 10.8.4 is pretty good and probably 10.8.5 will be even better, I won't even use 10.8.5 because 10.9 will be released almost the exact same time, and then again, to star with a new OS and the cycle of star fixing the bugs again.
nikicampos is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:20 PM   #30
Dannel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafingi View Post
A LOT of under-the-hood improvements, making the system faster and more stable.

Just like Snow Leopard; no new features (or just a few), but a lot of improvements you won't see, but definitely will FEEL!

Mavericks will be the best release since SL!
Frankly, I think Mountain Lion is good for me. I donot need much improvement. If the new version can make the system faster and more stable, it is worth a try then
Dannel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 05:08 AM   #31
Cardsnk
macrumors member

Update for Retina Macbook Pro

Hoping for a graphics performance increase with the retina macbook pro 15.
Cardsnk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 03:43 PM   #32
vanc
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannel View Post
Frankly, I think Mountain Lion is good for me. I donot need much improvement. If the new version can make the system faster and more stable, it is worth a try then
Feel the same. I'm a developer. So most of the time, I'm using my rMBP 15' for coding and debugging, emailing, web browsing. I also use Parallels to run Ubuntu for cross platform development. Everything works just fine with Mountain Lion. Right now, I'm on this beta build as well. It brings no surprises. The under-the-hood changes are not that visible.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 05:52 PM   #33
palmharbor
Banned

Ignoring the obvious

I would bet money that there will be NO improvements On
1) Copy paste...unchanged since OS8
2) Addressbook...no color, no changing fonts, hard to delete
3)Highlighting text...you will still get what you don't want as it bleeds
to other text
4) Mail...a flawed application at best...reject feature deleted
5) Quicktime screen recorder...still no audio recording with video recording
6) Safari...as slow as 60 weight motor oil
7) Black and White only in Finder locations...no color IDing
8) iPhoto, no easy way to make a photo smaller...too obvious I guess
Most "improvements" will be esoteric and best and will probably involve Facebook, Twitter or some other trendy site..
palmharbor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 08:36 PM   #34
dastinger
macrumors 6502a

And why would all that come to OSX with an incremental update of an OS that will be outdated by fall?

Do you know what they will probably fail on doing? Blocking people from posting entire replies using hugely sized bold fonts on forums.
dastinger is online now   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion