Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Is there a list anywhere of inappropriate words that won't be filtered out by this site but still are against forum rules or is it just regulated by whichever moderator might see your post?

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
No, this one has to be left up to common sense.

That said, we realize this is very subjective, and especially in such a large user base as ours. For that very reason, the moderators and often administrators will usually discuss these issues before anything is done (or it's decided that nothing will be done). So it's definitely not something that depends on who first sees it and brings it up for discussion, or even who sends the reminder/warning if it's decided that's what will be done.

Very often it's also a matter of members reporting certain language or expressions because they feel something is over the line. We don't of course simply moderate because a member reports something, but multiple reports can give us an indication of what (some) people feel about the issue.

Anyone who is surprised at getting moderated for something s/he feels is acceptable can send a contact and argue the point - we take that input into consideration as well, both in regard to the moderation that's already done, and for future moderation.

It's a sticky one, this question, and we certainly see that people are going to have differing opinions. We just try to find a level of vulgarity or whatever you want to call it that most people will be comfortable with.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Thank you. Any thoughts on posts that are just jokes? Is replying to something in PRSI or any other forum with just a joke against forum rules?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thank you. Any thoughts on posts that are just jokes? Is replying to something in PRSI or any other forum with just a joke against forum rules?

Sometimes those jokes may offend someone though, and get reported.

I sometimes have used words like basterd or so in a friendly way to posters I have a connection with, but someone thought, it was an insult (yes I waive my rights in those instances, if needed), though it was not intended to be one, thus the communication has more than two sides, as the sender might talk to a specific recipient who might understand that joke, but there are also other recipients out there, who probably might not get a bit of sarcasm or whatever joke you might tell.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004

Another one that doesn't have a hard and fast rule!

Technically, jokes can often be considered off-topic. But if it seems - just an example, mind - by responses and other contextual issues that it's in some way lightening tension in a thread, it would likely be left alone.

That sort of post though can also cause a massive off-topic mess we have to clean up. Members don't see posts we delete, so what might seem to be removal of an innocent joke, might actually be 10 or so removed posts.

Then there's the issue of how humor is difficult on a forum, and again, the large number of members and diversity among members adds to that. One person's harmless joke is another's irritating, off-topic comment.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Thanks again. Can you clear something else up that I should brought up months ago when it was more relevant to me but since we're on a roll...

What's the deal with making a thread in this forum about specific moderation? I thought if you give permission to talk about your specific moderation in a thread, the moderators would do so. Is that true or is bringing up specific moderation, you're warned or timed out automatically for breaking rule?

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Thanks again. Can you clear something else up that I should brought up months ago when it was more relevant to me but since we're on a roll...

What's the deal with making a thread in this forum about specific moderation? I thought if you give permission to talk about your specific moderation in a thread, the moderators would do so. Is that true or is bringing up specific moderation, you're warned or timed out automatically for breaking rule?

We strongly advise members not to do this, for reasons I've given often and can repeat here if anyone at all would like me to, but as a general rule, if you explicitly state in the post that you are opening up for the moderators to discuss the moderation, then yes, it's ok.

Remember, though, that allowing us to discuss the moderation you (speaking generally, not directly to you) bring up will often necessitate our listing your entire moderation history. Why? because moderation is escalated; a new member who for example breaks a rule will usually just be sent a reminder, whereas a long-term member who has broken the rules numerous times can have his account suspended temporarily for the same violation.

Most moderation issues can be brought up in a general way, even if what you're asking about was sparked by specific moderation done to you, so there's very seldom a good reason to use anything other than a ficticious example when asking a question about moderation in this forum. That way, a member doesn't get his dirty laundry aired! The question you began this thread with for example: a member could post in here "Is the phrase (insert phrase here) considered inappropriate language here?" The member doesn't have to say "I got a one-week time out for posting (insert phrase here). The answer we'll give will have the same information, just minus the member's history. And other members will likely add to the discussion on a general level, with their opinions about the phrase (or word) that was brought up. The discussion is usually better when personal aspects are left out, and it might give us new info that would influence how we moderate. It does happen sometimes!

We prefer to keep discussion of specific moderation between us and the member in question, because we think member privacy is worth preserving.

So that's our take on it. (The others will no doubt chime in to correct me if needed, but I think I'm pretty much speaking for all of us.)

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
We strongly advise members not to do this, for reasons I've given often and can repeat here if anyone at all would like me to, but as a general rule, if you explicitly state in the post that you are opening up for the moderators to discuss the moderation, then yes, it's ok.

Remember, though, that allowing us to discuss the moderation you (speaking generally, not directly to you) bring up will often necessitate our listing your entire moderation history. Why? because moderation is escalated; a new member who for example breaks a rule will usually just be sent a reminder, whereas a long-term member who has broken the rules numerous times can have his account suspended temporarily for the same violation.

Most moderation issues can be brought up in a general way, even if what you're asking about was sparked by specific moderation done to you, so there's very seldom a good reason to use anything other than a ficticious example when asking a question about moderation in this forum. That way, a member doesn't get his dirty laundry aired! The question you began this thread with for example: a member could post in here "Is the phrase (insert phrase here) considered inappropriate language here?" The member doesn't have to say "I got a one-week time out for posting (insert phrase here). The answer we'll give will have the same information, just minus the member's history. And other members will likely add to the discussion on a general level, with their opinions about the phrase (or word) that was brought up. The discussion is usually better when personal aspects are left out, and it might give us new info that would influence how we moderate. It does happen sometimes!

We prefer to keep discussion of specific moderation between us and the member in question, because we think member privacy is worth preserving.

So that's our take on it. (The others will no doubt chime in to correct me if needed, but I think I'm pretty much speaking for all of us.)

This sentence :"Most moderation issues can be brought up in a general way, even if what you're asking about was sparked by specific moderation done to you, so there's very seldom a good reason to use anything other than a ficticious example when asking a question about moderation in this forum." stood out to me. I can't say more unless I get permission because it gets specific. I just think the contact form is useless because you only get to speak to one moderator who never admits mistakes made by moderators and you don't get the chance to have others chime in and possibly back you up.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
...I just think the contact form is useless because you only get to speak to one moderator who never admits mistakes made by moderators and you don't get the chance to have others chime in and possibly back you up.

You're wrong about a few things, and it might help if I clear them up.

When you send a contact, you're in effect "talking" to us all. It's true that the response is sent by one person, but all the contacts are visible to all mods and admins, and the message that's sent is discussed, a reply drafted and discussed, any responses a member sends to our response is again seen by everyone and discussed.

The second misconception is that we never admit a mistake. We do. We make mistakes, and when members point them out, we reverse what we've done and say so. That's not to say a member will always agree with us, but we have no problem admitting when we believe we've made a mistake. The atmosphere among the mods/admins is such that no one is afraid or extremely embarrassed to say they were the ones to mess something up. We've all done it!

Finally, having other members "back you up" won't make any difference. We moderate as best we can based on the rules, not by member vote.

Hope that helps a bit.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
You're wrong about a few things, and it might help if I clear them up.

When you send a contact, you're in effect "talking" to us all. It's true that the response is sent by one person, but all the contacts are visible to all mods and admins, and the message that's sent is discussed, a reply drafted and discussed, any responses a member sends to our response is again seen by everyone and discussed.

The second misconception is that we never admit a mistake. We do. We make mistakes, and when members point them out, we reverse what we've done and say so. That's not to say a member will always agree with us, but we have no problem admitting when we believe we've made a mistake. The atmosphere among the mods/admins is such that no one is afraid or extremely embarrassed to say they were the ones to mess something up. We've all done it!

Finally, having other members "back you up" won't make any difference. We moderate as best we can based on the rules, not by member vote.

Hope that helps a bit.
Thanks again. The two first points are good to hear. The back you up wasn't meant to be a "more people agree with me than you" type comment but more like a "they can put things in a different way and maybe offer the moderators a different perspective."

All in all, I wish I asked you this during my last TO. I'm now more convinced than ever that the moderators were wrong to do so.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'm just speculating here, but it probably would be helpful to do so in case you ever break the rules again. Having a time out stricken (overturned) from your record would benefit you, not because they would go easier on you next time because they got it wrong, but the punishment could be easier because it would be as if you hadn't been suspended before. Just a guess, though.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Another one that doesn't have a hard and fast rule!

Technically, jokes can often be considered off-topic. But if it seems - just an example, mind - by responses and other contextual issues that it's in some way lightening tension in a thread, it would likely be left alone.

That sort of post though can also cause a massive off-topic mess we have to clean up. Members don't see posts we delete, so what might seem to be removal of an innocent joke, might actually be 10 or so removed posts.

Then there's the issue of how humor is difficult on a forum, and again, the large number of members and diversity among members adds to that. One person's harmless joke is another's irritating, off-topic comment.

My mother always said a joke is only a joke if everybody is laughing.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
You can send a contact even now if you choose. A suspension that's done can't be undone, of course, but you can discuss it via a contact.
I figured it was too late to bother and would just be like sour grapes but then I read:
I'm just speculating here, but it probably would be helpful to do so in case you ever break the rules again. Having a time out stricken (overturned) from your record would benefit you, not because they would go easier on you next time because they got it wrong, but the punishment could be easier because it would be as if you hadn't been suspended before. Just a guess, though.
So now I'm thinking why not? Can I just pm you and get your opinion or is it time to drop it and move on
Then Jay Leno has never told a joke in his life.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
I figured it was too late to bother and would just be like sour grapes but then I read:

So now I'm thinking why not? Can I just pm you and get your opinion or is it time to drop it and move on

I'd still suggest sending a contact. I can keep an eye out and make sure to get my opinion in the answer. But a contact is, in addition to everything else it can be, a learning opportunity for both "staff" and members.

You can PM me though if it means the difference between following up and dropping it. I reserve the right to discuss it with the others though - we're at our best when we work together.

Edit: And no, it wouldn't be sour grapes to discuss something where you have a strong opinion.

----------

Wise woman. I'd never thought of it like that, but it seems like a good rule of thumb.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
I'd still suggest sending a contact. I can keep an eye out and make sure to get my opinion in the answer. But a contact is, in addition to everything else it can be, a learning opportunity for both "staff" and members.

You can PM me though if it means the difference between following up and dropping it. I reserve the right to discuss it with the others though - we're at our best when we work together.

Edit: And no, it wouldn't be sour grapes to discuss something where you have a strong opinion.

----------

Wise woman. I'd never thought of it like that, but it seems like a good rule of thumb.

Advice taken. Contact form filled out and sent. And no, that's a horrible rule of thumb, what a boring world this would be if we couldn't have edgy humor that not everyone gets.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Advice taken. Contact form filled out and sent. And no, that's a horrible rule of thumb, what a boring world this would be if we couldn't have edgy humor that not everyone gets.

It's fine to have edgy humor in life. You just have to consider the context when you are deploying it. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes not. ;) So I stand by my "rule of thumb" comment; the option to consider context is exactly how a rule of thumb works.

Contacts are usually answered within a week, and sometimes much more quickly. You'll get an answer! :)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The whole point here should be this:

Only write nice things on the forums. And be mindful that some jokes to you can be very inappropriate to others. It's really up to the individual user to police themselves on this point. But if you are generally nice then most of these issues won't come up. And if they do and you find that a word is or is not censored, think, could I say this in a nicer way? If yes change it, if not, try to say it in a cultural neutral way so no one is offended.

I say self policing as a lot of times here I've read things that one person found harmless but another found inappropriate. And arguments started because one side said it is inappropriate and the other said it's not, and neither side would agree on a compromise.

Self control is the best method here. Be nice and 95% of this never happens.

The whole point here should be this:

Only write nice things on the forums.

Well that makes for a pretty boring forum and eliminates 99% of the entertainment of the internet. God forbid someones' feelings get hurt because they made a stupid comment and someone calls them out for it. Is this a forum for overprotective mothers of preschoolers or for people who use technology?

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
Well that makes for a pretty boring forum and eliminates 99% of the entertainment of the internet. God forbid someones' feelings get hurt because they made a stupid comment and someone calls them out for it. Is this a forum for overprotective mothers of preschoolers or for people who use technology?

Exactly. I don't mind if someone says a post I made is unfunny. To each his own. But to say its inappropriate because its a joke and report it to the mods for action; Jesus, get over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.