Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Isn't paying no money easier than paying money? If someone gave you an option to pay money or not pay money with no penalty, you wouldn't take the latter?

It has nothing to do with what you can and can't afford, and everything to do with being financially smart. Why tie up income if you don't have to? You can keep that money and invest it elsewhere to make it work for you.

I appreciate someone answering my question "why people are claiming it's easier to sign up for T-Mobile now that there is no downpayment". You still have to give them the credit card (or whatever means your paying with) to set up the account. The only difference is that they don't collect the down payment. As far as I can determine, the only way it would be easier is if you can't afford the down payment in which case a person really shouldn't be getting a smart phone in the first place.

I can see where it might be more desirable now to sign up for T-Mobile without a down payment but I still can't see why it's easier.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
What a gimmick. They are just moving the money you pay around. You're still gonna end up netting the same $$ years ago at the end of the day. Meh.

Incorrect? The phone payment ends after 2 years where it does not with other companies. Your payment is rolled into the plan with att and never ends.

----------

It may induce some people to switch but how does it make it easier when you do switch ? If people can't switch due to a downpayment, they have a bigger problem then deciding what provider they want.

The payment ends after 2 years (or sooner if I want to pay it off), with other companies it does not. Try paying off your phone with att early for a lesser payment. Try taking your current phone to att and getting a lesser bill. I keep my phones longer than 2 years.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
I appreciate someone answering my question "why people are claiming it's easier to sign up for T-Mobile now that there is no downpayment". You still have to give them the credit card (or whatever means your paying with) to set up the account. The only difference is that they don't collect the down payment. As far as I can determine, the only way it would be easier is if you can't afford the down payment in which case a person really shouldn't be getting a smart phone in the first place.

I can see where it might be more desirable now to sign up for T-Mobile without a down payment but I still can't see why it's easier.

Are you just being difficult because your attempt to belittle the other poster for being poor failed?

Easier as in easier to make the decision. Not physically easier.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Are you just being difficult because your attempt to belittle the other poster for being poor failed?

Easier as in easier to make the decision. Not physically easier.

I have not belittled anyone (I'm curious though, which poster / post claimed they were poor). I was wondering why people thought it was easier.

Thank you for clarifying their remarks. I read it as physically easier rather than easier to make the decision.

----------

That's what it seems like.

It's not. It might be better if you wrote "it makes it easier to make the decision" :D.

iPhonemaster5S

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Colorado
This $0 Down event just postpones the money at a later date so unless you earn your money by the hour then this isn't going to be very useful. However if you do earn your money by the hour then yes this is a great opportunity so you can pay for it on the long run,

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
This $0 Down event just postpones the money at a later date so unless you earn your money by the hour then this isn't going to be very useful. However if you do earn your money by the hour then yes this is a great opportunity so you can pay for it on the long run,

This is going to be very useful for anyone. Sure, it will help the paycheck to paycheck people "afford" the high end phones since there is nothing out of pocket.

But even people that have the means to drop $650 on the spot for the phone will benefit. Like another poster said, why tie up your income when it can be put to work for you else where? Granted the cost of a smartphone isn't very much in the grand scheme of things, but the principle is still the same.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
$0 Down and your monthly installments are larger. You're still paying $648 or whatever for an iPhone. So once you end up paying retail for a phone and pay it off a year later. You get to add a different set of installment? How is that any different in the long run? You'll be stuck on the installment price forever and T-Mobile knows this. If they make it easy to always upgrade to the newest thing, specially with little to 0 down people will just keep upgrading every 6 months to a year.

Either way the carrier is going to get their money they are just putting it in different places. You can praise them for the "innovative, revolutionary" change. In the end they are in business to make money not help you out. They just make things "look" a little more attractive. I wish their network was half way decent, because I wouldn't mind switching. But like I said. It's just a gimmick instead of the other $400 not being paid into installments for other carriers it's buried in other charges mark ups and fees. Either way the company is getting that money back :)

I do not not a single soul who keeps phones for longer than 2 years.

This was before T-mobile raised the price on their iPhone but it's still cheaper.

iPhone-ownership-cost-Zagg-chart.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.