Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:57 PM   #1
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Question about using an iPhone with a MacBook.

What can you do with it that you can't do on windows? I was thinking of picking up a refurb macbook air from the apple site(can you buy it in person or is it online only) and when in class if there was no wifi I would use my iPhone data connection to tether it. I would also pick up an iPad mini to carry around with me too, I know iTunes and Safari are way better on a mac but what about iPhone usage?
Sorry for the multiple questions I had to combine them since the mac forum is like... dead
and I know the macbook air isn't as strong as the pro but I don't really do a lot of daunting tasks, usually browse the internet, watch a few movies, listen to some music on itunes, sometimes play games on miniclip. Anything that the mac will struggle doing I'll just switch to my dell laptop.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:10 PM   #2
ryan.apham
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
What can you do with it that you can't do on windows? I was thinking of picking up a refurb macbook air from the apple site(can you buy it in person or is it online only) and when in class if there was no wifi I would use my iPhone data connection to tether it. I would also pick up an iPad mini to carry around with me too, I know iTunes and Safari are way better on a mac but what about iPhone usage?
Sorry for the multiple questions I had to combine them since the mac forum is like... dead
and I know the macbook air isn't as strong as the pro but I don't really do a lot of daunting tasks, usually browse the internet, watch a few movies, listen to some music on itunes, sometimes play games on miniclip. Anything that the mac will struggle doing I'll just switch to my dell laptop.
It's all about synchronisation. iPhone and iPad just synchronises better with MacBook, provided that you set up an iCloud account and have Wi-Fi at home. Notes that you write on the iPad during your work/lecture, can be later be viewed on the Mac. Pictures that you take during your visit to Tokyo, will automatically appear in your Mac. Then, using your Mac, you jot down some reminders for the rest of the month and main calendar events. These will automatically show up on the iPhone and the iPad, which will help remind you of important stuff when you're at work or in bed...

P/S: You still play Miniclip? How old are you ?

Oh, and there's one thing that Mac struggles. Games. Not many games are designed for Mac/ported to Mac and you'll find the Intel 3000/4000 HD to be a really low-end graphics card. You'll struggle with Skyrim even on the lowest settings.
__________________
 iPhone 4S  MacBook Air 13"  WD 2 TB External HDD 

Last edited by ryan.apham; Nov 12, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
ryan.apham is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:12 PM   #3
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Yes, ditch your Dell as the Air will do just fine with all these. Refurbs are online only.

Many people find having a combo of notebook/iPad/iPhone redundant so make sure you actually have a use for the iPad mini.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 5 S⃣
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:20 PM   #4
tymaster50
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.apham View Post
It's all about synchronisation. iPhone and iPad just synchronises better with MacBook, provided that you set up an iCloud account and have Wi-Fi at home. Notes that you write on the iPad during your work/lecture, can be later be viewed on the Mac. Pictures that you take during your visit to Tokyo, will automatically appear in your Mac. Then, using your Mac, you jot down some reminders for the rest of the month and main calendar events. These will automatically show up on the iPhone and the iPad, which will help remind you of important stuff when you're at work or in bed...

P/S: You still play Miniclip? How old are you ?
I'm 17, miniclip has a special place in my heart for saving me from complete boredom during my middle school days, plus they have some pretty fun games. Nobody is too old to watch a disney movie right? As a 90's kid it is my god given right to watch all the 90's and early 00's cartoons as I can lol

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Yes, ditch your Dell as the Air will do just fine with all these. Refurbs are online only.

Many people find having a combo of notebook/iPad/iPhone redundant so make sure you actually have a use for the iPad mini.
ah don't really want to ditch the dell, I have a ton of...."movies" on here. No not porn :P just something I would probably get banned for (not legal) and 64gb would not be enough to store all these TV shows and movies. But I don't have $1300 to spend on a laptop, my brothers irresponsible self just got into a car accident for the 3rd time, don't know why my mom puts up with him.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Afbar1114
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
I'm 17, miniclip has a special place in my heart for saving me from complete boredom during my middle school days, plus they have some pretty fun games. Nobody is too old to watch a disney movie right? As a 90's kid it is my god given right to watch all the 90's and early 00's cartoons as I can lol

----------



ah don't really want to ditch the dell, I have a ton of...."movies" on here. No not porn :P just something I would probably get banned for (not legal) and 64gb would not be enough to store all these TV shows and movies. But I don't have $1300 to spend on a laptop, my brothers irresponsible self just got into a car accident for the 3rd time, don't know why my mom puts up with him.
i hate to say but you arent really a 90s kid. yes you were born in the 90's but that doesnt mean your a 90's kid... your more of a 00's kid lol
__________________
MBP 13", 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD in Optical bay|iPad mini| 2TB Time Capsule| iPhone 5s 32GB| AppleTV
Afbar1114 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:15 PM   #6
tymaster50
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afbar1114 View Post
i hate to say but you arent really a 90s kid. yes you were born in the 90's but that doesnt mean your a 90's kid... your more of a 00's kid lol
I've had 5 years of the 90's so I would technically be considered a 90's kid lol, The cutoff date would be like 96/97 to me.

----------

well I would be a hybrid, I was 5 when the 90's ended, old enough to remember some stuff.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Afbar1114
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
I've had 5 years of the 90's so I would technically be considered a 90's kid lol, The cutoff date would be like 96/97 to me.

----------

well I would be a hybrid, I was 5 when the 90's ended, old enough to remember some stuff.
makes sense to you since you were born in 95.... but you arent a 90's kid just because you were born in the 90's you need grow up in the 90's and watch shows like rugrats doug ahhh real monsters when they were on not just online....
__________________
MBP 13", 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD in Optical bay|iPad mini| 2TB Time Capsule| iPhone 5s 32GB| AppleTV
Afbar1114 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:24 PM   #8
tymaster50
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afbar1114 View Post
makes sense to you since you were born in 95.... but you arent a 90's kid just because you were born in the 90's you need grow up in the 90's and watch shows like rugrats doug ahhh real monsters when they were on not just online....
I watched all those shows, I even had that n-gage system and gameboys, don't really know how I got the new gameboy everytime but hey not my problem lol. But back to the topic, is this worth the $750 investment or should I just get an iPad?
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:27 PM   #9
Afbar1114
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
I watched all those shows, I even had that n-gage system and gameboys, don't really know how I got the new gameboy everytime but hey not my problem lol. But back to the topic, is this worth the $750 investment or should I just get an iPad?
i have both and both have there uses. typing a paper is not the eaiset on an iPad but its more portable you can just get the MBA. i mean both are priced in the same range... depending on what you get. you could get 4g LTE iPad and a keybord and you wont have to worry about loosing internet
__________________
MBP 13", 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD in Optical bay|iPad mini| 2TB Time Capsule| iPhone 5s 32GB| AppleTV

Last edited by Afbar1114; Nov 12, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Afbar1114 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:34 PM   #10
tymaster50
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afbar1114 View Post
i have both and both have there uses. typing a paper is not the eaiset on an iPad but its more portable you can just get the MBA.
the MBA is only a pound. So according to what I use my laptop for as I posted earlier would this be fine? Not running sluggish like people say? I really don't use my laptop for much and it definitely wouldn't keep my 100+ gb library. But hey I always have this one for heavy use.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:04 PM   #11
EarthNeutron
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Earth
 
see vendor information in user profile
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
the MBA is only a pound. So according to what I use my laptop for as I posted earlier would this be fine? Not running sluggish like people say? I really don't use my laptop for much and it definitely wouldn't keep my 100+ gb library. But hey I always have this one for heavy use.

Basically: advanced iCloud integration, iPhoto, advanced Safari integration (like iCloud tabs), unified apps such as Notes, Reminders, Calendar, address book, mail, facetime and messages (yes, you can actually send FREE text messages from you Mac, to anyone that as an iOS device running iOS 5 or later)

Be sure to check out my youtube videos for more in-depth look on this features: iCloud MacBook Pro YouTUBE


Cheers mate !
EarthNeutron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:07 PM   #12
Afbar1114
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
the MBA is only a pound. So according to what I use my laptop for as I posted earlier would this be fine? Not running sluggish like people say? I really don't use my laptop for much and it definitely wouldn't keep my 100+ gb library. But hey I always have this one for heavy use.
you can use an external HDD/SDD as well if this worries about u
__________________
MBP 13", 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD in Optical bay|iPad mini| 2TB Time Capsule| iPhone 5s 32GB| AppleTV
Afbar1114 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:17 PM   #13
tymaster50
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afbar1114 View Post
you can use an external HDD/SDD as well if this worries about u
can I still use project 64? Since my ps3 broke I use motioninjoy to use my ps3 controller on my laptop and play zelda
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:31 PM   #14
nicmeredith
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
If you decide NOT to get the MacBook Air and just get an iPad, if you want your notes syncing across your iPhone, iPad, and windows, you can still use evernote to sync back and forth. They have a web app you can use on your windows comp and apps for iPad/iPhone.

I have a MacBook Pro, iPad 2, and iPhone. I LOVE the synchronization, but I am also in the video business and need the video editing software that is on my MacBook Pro.

Just a suggestion if you don't want to spend $750 on something you might not really need.
nicmeredith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:35 PM   #15
tymaster50
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicmeredith View Post
If you decide NOT to get the MacBook Air and just get an iPad, if you want your notes syncing across your iPhone, iPad, and windows, you can still use evernote to sync back and forth. They have a web app you can use on your windows comp and apps for iPad/iPhone.

I have a MacBook Pro, iPad 2, and iPhone. I LOVE the synchronization, but I am also in the video business and need the video editing software that is on my MacBook Pro.

Just a suggestion if you don't want to spend $750 on something you might not really need.
Well I mean it's only like $50 more than the average iPad... so a whole new laptop or an iPad that I will have to carry around everywhere is the decision.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC