Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joseph Farrugia

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Malta (EU)
so we don't need email, TB+ HDDs………

32GB of RAM is too much for one computer. No one can have that many applications open at one time.

……because we have snail mail & floppy disks, right?

The sad thing isn't that you are so blatantly, hopelessy wrong;
it is that you are so arrogantly selfish in ass-uming that your needs must be the needs of all computer users in the world.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Why? If you didn't need 32gb ram now, what are the odds you will need it 2-3 years down the road? :confused:

Because of continuously increasing application and OS bloat.

You also shouldn't only count the native OS requirements, but those of a guest as well.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
then u shouldn't use a laptop to do that.

Why? Some of us have laptops for a reason - travel. If you're an engineer and you travel all the time a W520 or W530 from Lenovo with 32GB of RAM and a 2000M GPU is an excellent machine.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
32GB of RAM is too much for one computer. No one can have that many applications open at one time.

We've seen this statement for decades. Except in the past, people weren't talking about 32 GB of RAM. Just 3 years ago, people were saying 16 GB is too much for a laptop to ever use. (I actually have 16 GB in my iMac now, I know it's not a laptop, but I very often go over 8 GB, so the next step is either 12 or 16 GB anyway)

I remember reading in a magazine, MacUser or MacWorld, and the author of an article said something with sarcasm - "Sure I'd like to have a laptop with Two CPUs and 256 MB of RAM and why not throw in 10 GB hard drive that I'll never be able to fill up." (This was likely less than 16 years ago)

So in our near future, 1 TB of Flash storage and 32GB of RAM and 8-16 core SoC CPUs could be on our iPhones. If storage capacity doubles every year, which it has! (except with the iPhone 4) Then we'll have 1 TB of flash storage in 2015. (2011 - 64GB, 2012 - 128GB, 2013 - 256GB, 2014 - 512GB, etc.) Also, if we have a Quad-Core iPhone this year, then the number of cores would be doubling for the third year too, 2010 iPhone 4 with 1 core, 2011 iPhone 4S with 2 cores, 2012 new iPhone with 4 cores, etc.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
If you're asking about the limit, then yes Ivy Bridge can handle 32GB. The Lenovo w530 supports it in the BTO options.

I had a W530 with 32gb for a couple weeks before going back to an rMBP. Great machine.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
how many ram slots did the w350 have

4. 2 on the bottom and 2 under the keyboard. Really a nice machine to work on and upgrade. I had 4 8gb corsair 1600mhz sticks from newegg in it, as well as a 256 M4 and a 1tb drive in the ODD bay, and the usb3 mini dock. It was a work horse and as close to a true desktop replacement that I've seen, and all for around $2000. I like what Lenovo is doing these days.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I like what Lenovo is doing these days.

Are they shipping OS X? Then so what! (had to say it)
Aside from that I do agree that Lenovo sucks less these days than their plastic brethren. Built like tanks and now someone decided to hire a stylist.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
Are they shipping OS X? Then so what! (had to say it)
Aside from that I do agree that Lenovo sucks less these days than their plastic brethren. Built like tanks and now someone decided to hire a stylist.

Hah, yeah. I really liked it on paper, but I just couldn't get over the fact that it looked and felt exactly like the thinkpad I had 10 years ago. I'm sure it could withstand a lot of abuse, but it's just tough to beat the fit and finish of the macbooks.

mankymanning

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
I had a W530 with 32gb for a couple weeks before going back to an rMBP. Great machine.

I have just switched from a 2011 MBP to a W530 with 32GB RAM. It pains me to leave Mac land on my work machine but I need the RAM, I do loads of work in virtual machines, I often need 2 or 3 open at once where one needs 16GB of RAM alone.

I know users requiring 32GB are a very small niche but we exist. I think the thing I miss most is the Macbook's trackpad.

The Lenovo is a great laptop though, much better than a Dell Precision a colleague recently bought.

Still got my 32GB iMac at home though ;)

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
oh my friend you are so wrong.

you should be able to and can have as many apps running as you like - that should be your right if you so desire, no one should dictate otherwise.

thank you.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
I have just switched from a 2011 MBP to a W530 with 32GB RAM. It pains me to leave Mac land on my work machine but I need the RAM, I do loads of work in virtual machines, I often need 2 or 3 open at once where one needs 16GB of RAM alone.

I know users requiring 32GB are a very small niche but we exist. I think the thing I miss most is the Macbook's trackpad.

The Lenovo is a great laptop though, much better than a Dell Precision a colleague recently bought.

Still got my 32GB iMac at home though ;)

It really is a great rig. The form factor/aesthetics are a little off-putting at first but you soon realize that it's not due a lack of engineering, it's purposeful. The thing is built like a tank, has fantastic cooling and the upgrade potential is in a league of its own. The touch pad is really the big achilles' heal for all windows machines. Macbooks are worlds ahead in that regard. I'm using a mouse the vast majority of the time, so it's not a big deal, but every time I needed to use the touchpad in a pinch, it was pretty painful.

I'm actually considering going back to the thinkpad after a couple weeks with the rMBP. Editing (video) on the thinkpad was just so seamless and fun -- probably do to the mercury engine and premiere pro. FCP X on the rMBP just can't (or at least hasn't so far) offer anywhere near that smooth/fast an experience. It hangs and feels sluggish most of the time. I've heard people are sticking larger SSDs in the thinkpad mSata slot and using that as their scratch disks and it absolutely screams. 2 SSDs, a spinning drive for storage, and 32gb of memory, for less money than the rMBP. Really hard to make an argument against it for a mobile work horse machine.

Hope you enjoy yours!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.