Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:11 AM   #1
JesseJamez
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
iPhone 5 saga finally over

I waited a long time for the iPhone 5 release, and when it finally arrived, it met all my expectations and then some. On top of great performance, the design is stunning and it is probably the best looking phone on the market. I mean yeah the buttons have more play than I'm used to, but that's cool no biggie. The initial scrutinizing reveals small mm wide gaps between the antenna bands and aluminum. According to the promo video for the iPhone 5, the manufacturing differences in design are measured in microns. Well then they must be measuring in the hundreds if not thousands of microns because I have gaps in my antenna bands and between one of the back ceramic portions and case. I had to return my original 5 because the screen started clicking when I touched it. The second 5, along with the "usual problems", had a knick on the bezel straight out of the box. Guess what else? A finger smudge INSIDE the rear camera lens. I drove all the way home in the rain and was not willing to go back there the same day. Instead, I waited nearly 2 weeks and finally went back. I swapped it out again and this phone doesn't have any marks/blemishes, although it does have the "famous" blue splotching on the antenna bands. I don't know what it is or if it will ever go away, but blue on white on silver wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

My first thought is back in September and October when the Foxconn workers were striking. I can just imagine a bunch of pissed off under paid and probably poorly treated workers assembling phones and just sliding them down the assembly line. Somewhere in the factory there are some REALLY pissed off employees making videos and throwing iPhones to each other and intentionally dropping said throws(not unlike the Walmart video posted recently(although they were just idiots) ). I like to think there is a group within the angry mob that takes pride in producing perfect iPhones and takes all proper measures to ensure excellence, and that perhaps with some luck and diligence, maybe I will get one of those mythical(and mystical) "perfect iPhone 5" 's
JesseJamez is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:49 AM   #2
serkan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Turkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJamez View Post
I waited a long time for the iPhone 5 release, and when it finally arrived, it met all my expectations and then some. On top of great performance, the design is stunning and it is probably the best looking phone on the market. I mean yeah the buttons have more play than I'm used to, but that's cool no biggie. The initial scrutinizing reveals small mm wide gaps between the antenna bands and aluminum. According to the promo video for the iPhone 5, the manufacturing differences in design are measured in microns. Well then they must be measuring in the hundreds if not thousands of microns because I have gaps in my antenna bands and between one of the back ceramic portions and case. I had to return my original 5 because the screen started clicking when I touched it. The second 5, along with the "usual problems", had a knick on the bezel straight out of the box. Guess what else? A finger smudge INSIDE the rear camera lens. I drove all the way home in the rain and was not willing to go back there the same day. Instead, I waited nearly 2 weeks and finally went back. I swapped it out again and this phone doesn't have any marks/blemishes, although it does have the "famous" blue splotching on the antenna bands. I don't know what it is or if it will ever go away, but blue on white on silver wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

My first thought is back in September and October when the Foxconn workers were striking. I can just imagine a bunch of pissed off under paid and probably poorly treated workers assembling phones and just sliding them down the assembly line. Somewhere in the factory there are some REALLY pissed off employees making videos and throwing iPhones to each other and intentionally dropping said throws(not unlike the Walmart video posted recently(although they were just idiots) ). I like to think there is a group within the angry mob that takes pride in producing perfect iPhones and takes all proper measures to ensure excellence, and that perhaps with some luck and diligence, maybe I will get one of those mythical(and mystical) "perfect iPhone 5" 's
I wish also about getting the mythicl Iphone also

Do you have the links to videos ?
serkan is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:52 AM   #3
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJamez View Post
My first thought is back in September and October when the Foxconn workers were striking. I can just imagine a bunch of pissed off under paid and probably poorly treated workers assembling phones and just sliding them down the assembly line. Somewhere in the factory there are some REALLY pissed off employees making videos and throwing iPhones to each other and intentionally dropping said throws(not unlike the Walmart video posted recently(although they were just idiots) ). I like to think there is a group within the angry mob that takes pride in producing perfect iPhones and takes all proper measures to ensure excellence, and that perhaps with some luck and diligence, maybe I will get one of those mythical(and mystical) "perfect iPhone 5" 's
You really have no idea what you're talking about.
Interstella5555 is offline   2
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJamez View Post
My first thought is back in September and October when the Foxconn workers were striking. I can just imagine a bunch of pissed off under paid and probably poorly treated workers assembling phones and just sliding them down the assembly line. Somewhere in the factory there are some REALLY pissed off employees making videos and throwing iPhones to each other and intentionally dropping said throws(not unlike the Walmart video posted recently(although they were just idiots) ). I like to think there is a group within the angry mob that takes pride in producing perfect iPhones and takes all proper measures to ensure excellence, and that perhaps with some luck and diligence, maybe I will get one of those mythical(and mystical) "perfect iPhone 5" 's
Comparing ignorant (possibly lazy, jealous, poor, dumb) American workers to hard-woking (but poor) Chinese laborors is not a very fair assessment.
Leonard1818 is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:13 AM   #5
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
*punches myself in the dick repeatedly*



do we really need another thread about the woes of the iphone
BFizzzle is offline   2
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:14 AM   #6
utahusker
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I must be one of the lucky ones that received the "mythical" iPhone. If only I was luckier in the lottery.
utahusker is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Oridus
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
My first iPhone was just fine.
__________________
|2.7gHz, 16GB Ram, 512SSD Retina Macbook Pro (June 2013) | Black 32 GB iPad 4th Gen | 16gb White iPhone 5 |3rd Gen Apple TV|
Oridus is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:00 AM   #8
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Fascinating....Just fascinating.
Attached Images
 
VandyChem2009 is offline   1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:11 AM   #9
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
This thread is destined for Wasteland.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
Were you looking for some sympathy with this thread?
Jordan921 is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:05 PM   #11
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
I dunno why I spend time reading these brain dumps <sight> but 2 minutes of a life gone, and I go, WHAT'S OVER? He left us for Android? doesn't say. Foxconn changed its policy - nope. GIGO.
Mrbobb is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:49 PM   #12
JesseJamez
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Complacency can happen in any situation whether you're a worker in America or a worker in china or whether you're some one on a forum that feels the need to lash out at others freely expressing themselves on a public forum. Dunno about everyone else, but I've got standards for my electronics. When I buy a Sony product, it's absolutely perfect. Why shouldn't I have the same expectations from apple? Especially when they promise "micron precision".


http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L_DLJK4o2YM

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
You really have no idea what you're talking about.
I doubt you do as that's a rather arrogant comment considering you're responding to a completely IMAGINED scenario.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
Comparing ignorant (possibly lazy, jealous, poor, dumb) American workers to hard-woking (but poor) Chinese laborors is not a very fair assessment.
I apologize for the confusion, but I was not making a comparison of workers' integrity/moral character. I was merely using that Walmart situation as an example of careless handling
JesseJamez is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:51 PM   #13
Damolee
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I would take Chinese craft, effort and labour over fat, demanding, lazy and work-shy workers of the west any day.

We're good at many things, but on our shores, a strong work ethic is rarely one of them. All me.. me ..me , expect... expect.. expect.

"You delayed my lunch break by five minutes. IM CALLING MY UNION REP!!! ILL SUE YOU"
Damolee is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:52 PM   #14
JesseJamez
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
*punches myself in the dick repeatedly*



do we really need another thread about the woes of the iphone
Lmao
JesseJamez is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:55 PM   #15
chakraj
macrumors 65816
 
chakraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal
Click image for larger version

Name:	fail_thread.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	380751
__________________
Why am I here? “On action alone be thy interest,
Never on its fruits. Let not the fruits of action be thy motive, Nor be thy attachment to inaction.”
chakraj is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:59 PM   #16
JesseJamez
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damolee View Post
I would take Chinese craft, effort and labour over fat, demanding, lazy and work-shy workers of the west any day.

We're good at many things, but on our shores, a strong work ethic is rarely one of them. All me.. me ..me , expect... expect.. expect.

"You delayed my lunch break by five minutes. IM CALLING MY UNION REP!!! ILL SUE YOU"
Well I'm not sure about you as I can only speak for myself. I work my ass off and I'm not part of any union. I won't get too sidetracked here but I will say some unions are exponentially more productive than others.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakraj View Post
You fail? Good one!!
JesseJamez is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:17 PM   #17
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJamez View Post
I waited a long time for the iPhone 5 release, and when it finally arrived, it met all my expectations and then some. On top of great performance, the design is stunning and it is probably the best looking phone on the market. I mean yeah the buttons have more play than I'm used to, but that's cool no biggie. The initial scrutinizing reveals small mm wide gaps between the antenna bands and aluminum. According to the promo video for the iPhone 5, the manufacturing differences in design are measured in microns. Well then they must be measuring in the hundreds if not thousands of microns because I have gaps in my antenna bands and between one of the back ceramic portions and case. I had to return my original 5 because the screen started clicking when I touched it. The second 5, along with the "usual problems", had a knick on the bezel straight out of the box. Guess what else? A finger smudge INSIDE the rear camera lens. I drove all the way home in the rain and was not willing to go back there the same day. Instead, I waited nearly 2 weeks and finally went back. I swapped it out again and this phone doesn't have any marks/blemishes, although it does have the "famous" blue splotching on the antenna bands. I don't know what it is or if it will ever go away, but blue on white on silver wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

My first thought is back in September and October when the Foxconn workers were striking. I can just imagine a bunch of pissed off under paid and probably poorly treated workers assembling phones and just sliding them down the assembly line. Somewhere in the factory there are some REALLY pissed off employees making videos and throwing iPhones to each other and intentionally dropping said throws(not unlike the Walmart video posted recently(although they were just idiots) ). I like to think there is a group within the angry mob that takes pride in producing perfect iPhones and takes all proper measures to ensure excellence, and that perhaps with some luck and diligence, maybe I will get one of those mythical(and mystical) "perfect iPhone 5" 's
The blue comes off very easily wtohout leaving any marks....try it
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?
Defender2010 is offline   1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:22 PM   #18
dejo
Moderator
 
dejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Centennial State
Mod Note: Thread temporarily closed for clean up.
dejo is offline   0


Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC