Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:11 AM   #1
JesseJamez
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 saga finally over

I waited a long time for the iPhone 5 release, and when it finally arrived, it met all my expectations and then some. On top of great performance, the design is stunning and it is probably the best looking phone on the market. I mean yeah the buttons have more play than I'm used to, but that's cool no biggie. The initial scrutinizing reveals small mm wide gaps between the antenna bands and aluminum. According to the promo video for the iPhone 5, the manufacturing differences in design are measured in microns. Well then they must be measuring in the hundreds if not thousands of microns because I have gaps in my antenna bands and between one of the back ceramic portions and case. I had to return my original 5 because the screen started clicking when I touched it. The second 5, along with the "usual problems", had a knick on the bezel straight out of the box. Guess what else? A finger smudge INSIDE the rear camera lens. I drove all the way home in the rain and was not willing to go back there the same day. Instead, I waited nearly 2 weeks and finally went back. I swapped it out again and this phone doesn't have any marks/blemishes, although it does have the "famous" blue splotching on the antenna bands. I don't know what it is or if it will ever go away, but blue on white on silver wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

My first thought is back in September and October when the Foxconn workers were striking. I can just imagine a bunch of pissed off under paid and probably poorly treated workers assembling phones and just sliding them down the assembly line. Somewhere in the factory there are some REALLY pissed off employees making videos and throwing iPhones to each other and intentionally dropping said throws(not unlike the Walmart video posted recently(although they were just idiots) ). I like to think there is a group within the angry mob that takes pride in producing perfect iPhones and takes all proper measures to ensure excellence, and that perhaps with some luck and diligence, maybe I will get one of those mythical(and mystical) "perfect iPhone 5" 's
JesseJamez is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:49 AM   #2
serkan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJamez View Post
I waited a long time for the iPhone 5 release, and when it finally arrived, it met all my expectations and then some. On top of great performance, the design is stunning and it is probably the best looking phone on the market. I mean yeah the buttons have more play than I'm used to, but that's cool no biggie. The initial scrutinizing reveals small mm wide gaps between the antenna bands and aluminum. According to the promo video for the iPhone 5, the manufacturing differences in design are measured in microns. Well then they must be measuring in the hundreds if not thousands of microns because I have gaps in my antenna bands and between one of the back ceramic portions and case. I had to return my original 5 because the screen started clicking when I touched it. The second 5, along with the "usual problems", had a knick on the bezel straight out of the box. Guess what else? A finger smudge INSIDE the rear camera lens. I drove all the way home in the rain and was not willing to go back there the same day. Instead, I waited nearly 2 weeks and finally went back. I swapped it out again and this phone doesn't have any marks/blemishes, although it does have the "famous" blue splotching on the antenna bands. I don't know what it is or if it will ever go away, but blue on white on silver wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

My first thought is back in September and October when the Foxconn workers were striking. I can just imagine a bunch of pissed off under paid and probably poorly treated workers assembling phones and just sliding them down the assembly line. Somewhere in the factory there are some REALLY pissed off employees making videos and throwing iPhones to each other and intentionally dropping said throws(not unlike the Walmart video posted recently(although they were just idiots) ). I like to think there is a group within the angry mob that takes pride in producing perfect iPhones and takes all proper measures to ensure excellence, and that perhaps with some luck and diligence, maybe I will get one of those mythical(and mystical) "perfect iPhone 5" 's
I wish also about getting the mythicl Iphone also

Do you have the links to videos ?
serkan is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:52 AM   #3
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
You really have no idea what you're talking about.
Interstella5555 is offline   2
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Comparing ignorant (possibly lazy, jealous, poor, dumb) American workers to hard-woking (but poor) Chinese laborors is not a very fair assessment.
Leonard1818 is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:13 AM   #5
BFizzzle
Banned

*punches myself in the dick repeatedly*

do we really need another thread about the woes of the iphone
BFizzzle is offline   2
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:14 AM   #6
utahusker
macrumors member

I must be one of the lucky ones that received the "mythical" iPhone. If only I was luckier in the lottery.
utahusker is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Oridus
macrumors regular

My first iPhone was just fine.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:00 AM   #8
VandyChem2009
Banned

Fascinating....Just fascinating.
Attached Images

VandyChem2009 is offline   1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:11 AM   #9
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

This thread is destined for Wasteland.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Were you looking for some sympathy with this thread?
Jordan921 is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:05 PM   #11
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

I dunno why I spend time reading these brain dumps <sight> but 2 minutes of a life gone, and I go, WHAT'S OVER? He left us for Android? doesn't say. Foxconn changed its policy - nope. GIGO.
Mrbobb is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:49 PM   #12
JesseJamez
macrumors newbie

Complacency can happen in any situation whether you're a worker in America or a worker in china or whether you're some one on a forum that feels the need to lash out at others freely expressing themselves on a public forum. Dunno about everyone else, but I've got standards for my electronics. When I buy a Sony product, it's absolutely perfect. Why shouldn't I have the same expectations from apple? Especially when they promise "micron precision".

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L_DLJK4o2YM

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
You really have no idea what you're talking about.
I doubt you do as that's a rather arrogant comment considering you're responding to a completely IMAGINED scenario.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
Comparing ignorant (possibly lazy, jealous, poor, dumb) American workers to hard-woking (but poor) Chinese laborors is not a very fair assessment.
I apologize for the confusion, but I was not making a comparison of workers' integrity/moral character. I was merely using that Walmart situation as an example of careless handling
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:51 PM   #13
Damolee
macrumors regular

I would take Chinese craft, effort and labour over fat, demanding, lazy and work-shy workers of the west any day.

We're good at many things, but on our shores, a strong work ethic is rarely one of them. All me.. me ..me , expect... expect.. expect.

"You delayed my lunch break by five minutes. IM CALLING MY UNION REP!!! ILL SUE YOU"
Damolee is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:52 PM   #14
JesseJamez
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
*punches myself in the dick repeatedly*

do we really need another thread about the woes of the iphone
Lmao
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:55 PM   #15
chakraj
macrumors 65816

Click image for larger version

Name:	fail_thread.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	380751
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:59 PM   #16
JesseJamez
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damolee View Post
I would take Chinese craft, effort and labour over fat, demanding, lazy and work-shy workers of the west any day.

We're good at many things, but on our shores, a strong work ethic is rarely one of them. All me.. me ..me , expect... expect.. expect.

"You delayed my lunch break by five minutes. IM CALLING MY UNION REP!!! ILL SUE YOU"
Well I'm not sure about you as I can only speak for myself. I work my ass off and I'm not part of any union. I won't get too sidetracked here but I will say some unions are exponentially more productive than others.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakraj View Post
You fail? Good one!!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:17 PM   #17
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:

The blue comes off very easily wtohout leaving any marks....try it
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:22 PM   #18
dejo

Mod Note: Thread temporarily closed for clean up.
dejo is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland