Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vladkarz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Hi everybody,

My ex is somehow manage to always follow me, and this is ridiculous. I cant live like this anylonger.She is invading my basic freedom rights. The only way I suppose is through my MacBook ( I dont have iPhone or anything else you can track ). Obviously she knew my passwords at the time, and was quite knowledgeable about operating laptops.

Please advise how is it possible that she does it? Which programs should I look out for? And HOW I CAN CHANGE IT ONCE AND FOR ALL?

THank you all, much appreciate any HELP.

Have a great day everyone

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Change your AppleID password.

Edit: change all your passwords, she might have copied your keychain before you split up.

And look in the sharing Preference pane if any sharing is on, turn everything of there or change passwords there too.

Last edited:

vladkarz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Change your AppleID password.

Edit: change all your passwords, she might have copied your keychain before you split up.

Thanks a lot for advise. But how I can be sure about that? I see that there are many software which offer tracking!? Any help is much welcome. What If I change harddrive? Will it help? I did a full clean up since then, but still she is somehow manages to follow me everywhere. HOW THE HELL?

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I really don't know how she would be doing this, but leave the machine disconnected from the Internet for a few days if possible by turning Wifi off. If she's still following you after that, it would be safe to assume that it has nothing to do with your computer.

If you're running Mountain Lion, I might look under The iCloud settings for something related to Find my iPhone/Mac. I just have Lion, so I couldn't tell you about how to do it specifically.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks a lot for advise. But how I can be sure about that? I see that there are many software which offer tracking!? Any help is much welcome. What If I change harddrive? Will it help? I did a full clean up since then, but still she is somehow manages to follow me everywhere. HOW THE HELL?

I would do everything which I pointed to you in my first post which can be a chore dependable on how many passwords you have, if she is still tracking you it is not your Mac.

Note: Updated my last post

vladkarz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
I really don't know how she would be doing this, but leave the machine disconnected from the Internet for a few days if possible by turning Wifi off. If she's still following you after that, it would be safe to assume that it has nothing to do with your computer.

If you're running Mountain Lion, I might look under The iCloud settings for something related to Find my iPhone/Mac. I just have Lion, so I couldn't tell you about how to do it specifically.

Thanks for the advise. I really need to use my Mac daily. I also have no clue how she would do it. But programs like Undercover, they even do keyloggin, which would be an absolute disaster for me. How I can make sure it does not happen? I use Lion as well.

----------

I would do everything which I pointed to you in my first post which can be a chore dependable on how many passwords you have, if she is still tracking you it is not your Mac.

Note: Updated my last post

Thanks Justperry, my sharing options are off always. Has never been otherwise, then I am in process of changing my password for iCloud now. But could she set it up with her own apple ID? She does have mac as well. But I am certain its my mac somehow

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the advise. I really need to use my Mac daily. I also have no clue how she would do it. But programs like Undercover, they even do keyloggin, which would be an absolute disaster for me. How I can make sure it does not happen? I use Lion as well.

The only way you can get a keylogger on your Mac is if you installed it yourself or gave someone access to your Mac to install it. Since you've done a clean install, you don't have any tracking software on your Mac. No one is tracking you using your Mac, unless you give them explicit permission to do so. Change your passwords, as justperry recommended. Make sure they're long and complex, with numbers, special characters and upper and lower case letters. When possible, change your security questions on sites, especially if your ex knows enough about you to answer the ones you currently have.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

----------

Thanks Justperry, my sharing options are off always. Has never been otherwise, then I am in process of changing my password for iCloud now. But could she set it up with her own apple ID? She does have mac as well. But I am certain its my mac somehow

I am not aware of two AppleID's connected so if you change the password (make it a bit difficult) she can not get anything anymore, and change your Mac's password, the main password to log into your computer.

Scan with Clamav if there is anything on the laptop, like keyloggers it will probably find them, you could even try Little Snitch which prevents incoming requests, it actually asks you to accept incoming connection and if you deny it it will be automatically denied next time.

vladkarz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
I am not aware of two AppleID's connected so if you change the password (make it a bit difficult) she can not get anything anymore, and change your Mac's password, the main password to log into your computer.

Scan with Clamav if there is anything on the laptop, like keyloggers it will probably find them, you could even try Little Snitch which prevents incoming requests, it actually asks you to accept incoming connection and if you deny it it will be automatically denied next time.

Thank you very much for your kind help. I did change all the passwords, and also made them a bit complex. But what about this program Undercover? What if she install that one? It doesnt really need apple ID as far as I understood?

----------

The only way you can get a keylogger on your Mac is if you installed it yourself or gave someone access to your Mac to install it. Since you've done a clean install, you don't have any tracking software on your Mac. No one is tracking you using your Mac, unless you give them explicit permission to do so. Change your passwords, as justperry recommended. Make sure they're long and complex, with numbers, special characters and upper and lower case letters. When possible, change your security questions on sites, especially if your ex knows enough about you to answer the ones you currently have.

Thanks for your advise. I am just worried that she had installed it without me knowing it, and its still there. I really dont know much about Macs and all, so thats why I am concerned. In the end of the day, its hard to live like this, in this Undercover program, they say you can get access to passwords and everything.....I am worried that she uses something similar.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thank you very much for your kind help. I did change all the passwords, and also made them a bit complex. But what about this program Undercover? What if she install that one? It doesnt really need apple ID as far as I understood?
If you did a clean install as you claimed, you don't have to scan your computer or worry about any unwelcome apps, as you would have removed everything with the clean install, including Undercover, if it was even there. Over the past 4-5 years that people have made claims in this forum about their Mac being "hacked", not a single one ever was. Your Mac and the software on it is not your problem.

Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing. As long as you do that, you'll be fine.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

----------

Thanks for your advise. I am just worried that she had installed it without me knowing it, and its still there. I really dont know much about Macs and all, so thats why I am concerned. In the end of the day, its hard to live like this, in this Undercover program, they say you can get access to passwords and everything.....I am worried that she uses something similar.

You said you did a full clean up before, I read GGJstdios reply to you and mentioned a reinstall.

Just read his and my advice and you'll be fine.

vladkarz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
You said you did a full clean up before, I read GGJstdios reply to you and mentioned a reinstall.

Just read his and my advice and you'll be fine.

Thank you guys a lot. really helps. And another thing, what if she was logging into my Gmail, and track my by seeing my ip adress from history? Can you really tell the location by just knowing the IP adress?

Thanks again

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thank you guys a lot. really helps. And another thing, what if she was logging into my Gmail, and track my by seeing my ip adress from history? Can you really tell the location by just knowing the IP adress?
First, if you change your Gmail password as recommended, she can't log into it. No, the IP address does not reveal a specific location. Go to http://www.whatismyipaddress.com to see what location information is revealed by your IP address.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Thanks again

If you change your password in Gmail she can not read your mail nor track you anymore.

I can see in a mail where it is send from but not the actual address, only proximity to the nearest server and even that is not always the case.

For instance, where I was before I wanted to know if I could track my own IP, I send one to myself, checked the IP and the server was 200 Km away instead of the nearest 25 Km away.
As far as I know Mail Servers/ISP's block the last part to your house so I am pretty sure she can not track your exact whereabouts.

vladkarz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2012
Thanks a lot guys, really did help. I did everything as you recommended. Lets see how it will go now. Have a great weekend ahead.

Stonefly

Contributor
Dec 26, 2009
Nova Scotia
Another thing is if she knew your apple id password, all she had to do is login to icloud.com and use the find my mac option there and she would know where you are (presuming it was turned on in system preferences). If you changed your apple id password she won't be able to use that.

CLICK HERE to see how it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.