Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfamily

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
Are you kidding me??
Their 16GB set is $134!!

WTF are these people smoking?

Too funny, get a new pair of glasses. It's $75.90. No coupons. They have several options. But by all means go elsewhere and pay more. Good call.

:)

L.

16GB Kit eRAM Memory (2 x 8GB) 204 Pin DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 1024x64 CL11 1.5V SODIMM's. Kit Consist of 2 8GB Memory Modules. $75.90

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/dm50-234e-x-2/

Last edited:

iMacRW

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I ordered the i5 with the standard 8GB and 1TB Fusion drive. What amount of RAM you guys suggest upgrading to? I was thinking of just getting 2 8GB and going to 24... I'm not going to be a power user... Maybe just aperture if I get adventurous and a home video using iMovie once in a blue moon. Sound like ill be fine?

I'm so pumped, got my time machine 1TB yesterday, HP air print printer will be here Monday and I ordered on the 9th of dec so 27 imac says wont be here until January, but I did expedited shipping so they said I might get it before then... Maybe at end of the month... We will see. There are plenty of pre order people that deserve their machine before me though!

Have fun guys!

aerobyravol

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Switzerland
One (stupid?) question.

Do I need to remove existing RAM and use exact same model in each slots of my iMac? Or can I keep existing ones and simply add new ones ?

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
One (stupid?) question.

Do I need to remove existing RAM and use exact same model in each slots of my iMac? Or can I keep existing ones and simply add new ones ?

You can add new ones, just do it in matching pairs.

----------

I ordered the i5 with the standard 8GB and 1TB Fusion drive. What amount of RAM you guys suggest upgrading to? I was thinking of just getting 2 8GB and going to 24... I'm not going to be a power user... Maybe just aperture if I get adventurous and a home video using iMovie once in a blue moon. Sound like ill be fine?

You'll probably be fine for a while with the standard 8. I will have similar uses for mine, but probably a bit more gaming. I'll probably wait to bump my RAM to 24 once my wife gets over the sticker shock of the computer itself.

Vitiri

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Hi all,

I'm anctiously awaiting delivery of my new iMac, and I'm shopping for RAM to replace the existing 8GB that comes installed.

My dad suggested:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/2012_27/DDR3L

Is all RAM created equal? Is there a certain company or product that is more effective or less prone to problems than others? Scorching deals I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance!

I spoke to an apple representative regarding my recent iMAC order, and he asked me if i wanted to upgrade my RAM. I told him that i'm cool, i'm getting my ram from crucial, it's cheaper! He told me "That is smart, we get it from crucial too!" so idk if he didn't' know what he was talking about or if he actually told me where they get it. But I just ordered me some crucial RAM.

Friend Trend

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
I'm still confused if I should be ordering CL9 latency or CL11 latency RAM. Obviously CL9 is faster, but will it make a difference? Does CL9 run hotter?
(I know the teardowns of the 21" machines showed that Apple was putting in CL11 RAM, but I don't know what the base 8GB will be in the 27". I only plan to add an extra 16GB on top of the base 8GB -- it is important that I match the latency between the pairs?)

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
From what I understand the cost related to BTOing a machine for additional RAM is done by American workers. This pretty much explains why it's so expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.