Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:36 AM   #1
ant043
macrumors regular

10.9 Core 2 duos

Hi Guys

I realise nobody knows the answer to this question but i just wanted to get an opinion. Does anyone think the next version of mac os 10.9 will still support core 2 duo. I have a late 2010 macbook air 2.13 ghz and 4gb ram. I'm not a power user and for what i use the mac for, mountain lion has been great. Core duos were cut off in mountain lion so i'm expecting the worst to be honest !!! Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:38 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Core Duos were only used in 2006 Macs (and maybe some early 2007 Macs), the Core 2 Duo was used much longer than the Core Duo, namely from 2006 to 2010, thus it is safe to presume, that C2D Macs with certain integrated graphics processors (IGP) will still be supported for a while in at least another iteration of iOS X.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:40 AM   #3
ant043
macrumors regular

Thanks man !! Hopefully you're right
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:41 AM   #4
Robyr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant043 View Post
Hi Guys

I realise nobody knows the answer to this question but i just wanted to get an opinion. Does anyone think the next version of mac os 10.9 will still support core 2 duo. I have a late 2010 macbook air 2.13 ghz and 4gb ram. I'm not a power user and for what i use the mac for, mountain lion has been great. Core duos were cut off in mountain lion so i'm expecting the worst to be honest !!! Thanks
I think the C2D will likely be supported until the major redesign in Mac OS, version 11.

The Core Duo was limited by FAR more than raw processing speed. The reason you see the Core Duo being dropped so quickly is, first and foremost, the lack of 64-Bit capabilities. Also, the lack of vPro, the lack of modern processing instructions, and a thermal threshold that made them unreliable (in the scheme of processors, that is.)

I wouldn't worry about it too much. So far you've gotten 3 years of use out of your MBA, and those old Core Duo machines are nearly 7 years old now!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:44 AM   #5
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816

I would be very unpleasantly surprised if the Core 2 Duos weren't supported in 10.9. They were being sold new up until mid 2011, less than two years ago. So yes, they will be supported.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air