Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Gator24765
macrumors 6502a

Built my site, need help with the business side!!

Hey everyone. I am building a sports news website for a certain market. I am still developing and have not released the website. I am building my follower count on Twitter to gain exposure. The site will produce quality content so that is not an issue.

Here is what I could use advice with. Can anyone point me to any awesome books dealing with the business side of running a website. I am familiar with the basics, adsense etc.. I am talking about really maximizing the effort and how to make the most cash without the site looking desperate for cash.

Thanks.
Gator24765 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 01:23 AM   #2
NikMac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator24765 View Post
Hey everyone. I am building a sports news website for a certain market. I am still developing and have not released the website. I am building my follower count on Twitter to gain exposure. The site will produce quality content so that is not an issue.

Here is what I could use advice with. Can anyone point me to any awesome books dealing with the business side of running a website. I am familiar with the basics, adsense etc.. I am talking about really maximizing the effort and how to make the most cash without the site looking desperate for cash.

Thanks.
Are you selling any products from the website? Or advertising (I mean actually selling sponsored links once the website becomes popular; adsense is okay on a content site but as a principal you shouldn't expect to make more than a few pennies a day if that, at least for the first few months)?

You would probably want to think about some kind of affiliate marketing. You can write on your website promoting sports products from sites like Clickbank and Amazon, and earn a commission each time someone from your website clicks your link and buys the product. John Chow and Jeremy "Shoemoney" Schoemaker are some of the "gurus" in this area, look them up. Be careful though, a lot of people will try to sell expensive e-books and guides on how to do this successfully, but most of the info is available free elsewhere on the internet. If you do want to buy something a quick look on Amazon should turn up some proper books on the subject. I'm sure your local bookstore has a computer/business section you could look in, there are hundreds to choose from but I have to say personally I've never bothered. It's a process you learn gradually as you go along . Good luck!
Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:03 AM   #3
SrWebDeveloper
macrumors 68000

see vendor information in user profile
Just some quick advice --- since you are still in development phase, make sure your developer configures the site to optimize SEO and then make sure you tell them what page titles, descriptions, keywords and other meta data you want so the search engines rank you well and pick up accurate information. That's in addition to content structure, artwork, etc.

This forum is more situation towards what developers would need to know, but I found your question interesting and look forward to other replies.
SrWebDeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Gator24765
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikMac View Post
Are you selling any products from the website? Or advertising (I mean actually selling sponsored links once the website becomes popular; adsense is okay on a content site but as a principal you shouldn't expect to make more than a few pennies a day if that, at least for the first few months)?

You would probably want to think about some kind of affiliate marketing. You can write on your website promoting sports products from sites like Clickbank and Amazon, and earn a commission each time someone from your website clicks your link and buys the product. John Chow and Jeremy "Shoemoney" Schoemaker are some of the "gurus" in this area, look them up. Be careful though, a lot of people will try to sell expensive e-books and guides on how to do this successfully, but most of the info is available free elsewhere on the internet. If you do want to buy something a quick look on Amazon should turn up some proper books on the subject. I'm sure your local bookstore has a computer/business section you could look in, there are hundreds to choose from but I have to say personally I've never bothered. It's a process you learn gradually as you go along . Good luck!

Thanks for the detailed response. No I am not selling products, just providings news and analysis. My main source of income will be ads (asdense), affiliates (amazon). Hopefully in the future I will contact or be contacted by businesses to promote their own product or service.

I am just looking for information on which options I have and other aspects of the business side.
Gator24765 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development