Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:09 AM   #51
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
so, i called the apple store today to try to book my machine in to get the repair carried out. i have bought a dell laptop to use whilst the MBP retina is getting fixed( i can always let one of my employees have this after).

so i phone up the store and ask if they have the part in. (they have already seen the machine previously and i have a genius bar work authorisation form in front of me for the screen issue.)

"sorry, we cant order the part until we read the serial number off the machine."

"you need to bring the machine in, we will order the part"

"then when the part arrives we will phone you and you can bring your laptop back into the store"

comedy......so to get one repair i have to drive 4 times to an apple store.
It's the same deal for everyone. You have to prove ownership, and valid warranty. Let's say your computer was water damaged, you call Apple to order a top case and then they find out it's water damaged, and you refused to pay for the part. They're stuck with an extra part. That doesn't sound bad with the amount volume at the store, but there are parts like SSD and fans that don't get replaced much. As inconvenient as it is, it's a valid requirement for service.

That said, if you have a business support contract with Apple, they can send a tech to your location; so perhaps if you have a lot of Macs, that's something to look into.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:15 AM   #52
artschool
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
It's the same deal for everyone. You have to prove ownership, and valid warranty. Let's say your computer was water damaged, you call Apple to order a top case and then they find out it's water damaged, and you refused to pay for the part. They're stuck with an extra part. That doesn't sound bad with the amount volume at the store, but there are parts like SSD and fans that don't get replaced much. As inconvenient as it is, it's a valid requirement for service.

That said, if you have a business support contract with Apple, they can send a tech to your location; so perhaps if you have a lot of Macs, that's something to look into.
i have already been in once and they said the screen is faulty and needs replaced the gave me a work authorisation sheet and i was told to phone up when i was able to hand the laptop over.

no, i dont have any other macs in my business, they are all dell pcs.

this is all quite new to me as last mac (apart from ipads) i owned was a powermac 7300
artschool is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro