Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 24, 2010, 02:05 AM   #1
upsguy27
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to upsguy27 Send a message via MSN to upsguy27 Send a message via Skype™ to upsguy27
iPhone 4 touchscreen digitizer messed up after opening?

So, I ordered a white iPhone 4 replacement front cover, and I took apart my entire phone the minute it came. Of course, it was then I realized I would have to buy an entire new LCD assembly to get the white cover to work, so I reluctantly put my iPhone back together. When I put the logic board back on, the digitizer cable kept getting pinched under the screen so every time I would have to take everything apart again and make sure the digitizer cable wasn't being pinched as it was fed through the base. This took three times before it was completely out, but the cable was kind of folded from being pressed against the inside. Nevertheless, I put the rest of the iPhone back together.

Towards the end, I mixed up my screws and didn't know what went where. So I had to guess which ones fit best and two holes wouldn't take any screw so I had to leave two pieces unscrewed. They seemed relatively unimportant. So, I put the rest back together and turned it on. It was then I realized the touch screen wouldn't work when touching a small section of the top quarter of the screen. When I touch there, it ignores the touch and goes to the areas around it. So I have two small rows that don't respond at all. Why is this? Is it because of the pinched cable (it's not being pinched anymore)? Or maybe the connector isn't pushed in all the way? Or could it be the missing screws? I already tried restoring the device, please help!
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:23 AM   #2
PNutts
macrumors 601

Hmmm... How about going to one of the fix-it sites and see if their online guides can assist reassembly? I don't remember the site but I've seen some detailed step-by-step instructions. If not, you can send it to them for repair.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Bandolier
Banned

Also, geniuses will definitely be able to tell that you opened it so the warranty is out.
Bandolier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 06:55 PM   #4
upsguy27
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to upsguy27 Send a message via MSN to upsguy27 Send a message via Skype™ to upsguy27
Is there any way to like tell what size a screw is? To follow the ifixit guide? Or can I buy iPhone 4 replacement screws? And I know I can't get it fixed anymore.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 07:56 PM   #5
upsguy27
macrumors 65816

Please, does anybody know what's wrong? My home button has randomly started just not working, haha. The touchscreen is still messed up at the top.

Is it because I'm missing some of the screws? If so, where can I find replacement ones? I've searched all throughout Google.

This is annoying the hell out of me, I can hardly use my phone, anyone?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 08:04 PM   #6
RafaelT
macrumors 65816

You probably broke something inside that cable. As for the home button.. no idea. Your best bet might be to send it off to one of the third party repair places.
RafaelT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 08:14 PM   #7
davidchoi
macrumors newbie

I did a color conversion for my iPhone 4 too and my touch screen is so messed up too. It registers mass amounts of touches when my finger is hovering over the touch screen!

OP did you ever get yours fixed? I heard if you push the digitizer cord in the back pretty hard it fixes everything but I'm afraid to try.

Plus I'm getting white dime shaped spots on the top of my screen that expands when I apply pressure to that area...
davidchoi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:57 PM   #8
one-turk
macrumors newbie

buy this http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Touch-Digi...item27b90bbc6b

and this

http://cgi.ebay.com/OEM-Full-Screw-S...item2a0cf1059b

wait for the post. be carefull during replacing parts. be happy
one-turk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:12 PM   #9
AuroraProject
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-turk View Post
buy this http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Touch-Digi...item27b90bbc6b

and this

http://cgi.ebay.com/OEM-Full-Screw-S...item2a0cf1059b

wait for the post. be carefull during replacing parts. be happy

The original post was 6 months ago, I'd say it's safe to assume it's been resolved.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:52 PM   #10
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTigay View Post
You probably broke something inside that cable. As for the home button.. no idea. Your best bet might be to send it off to one of the third party repair places.
Sounds about right. Never hurts to do your homework first.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:00 PM   #11
one-turk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraProject View Post
The original post was 6 months ago, I'd say it's safe to assume it's been resolved.
youre right but google took me to the page so i didndt realized the date
one-turk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone