Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:14 AM   #1
bobbyroller
macrumors member

Restoring Iphone 4 Without Internet

I was wondering if you can restore your iphone 4 without a internet connection? Is this Possible?

Bobbyroller
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:29 PM   #2
mcmanus7
macrumors 6502

Sure.. you can restore the phone... however you will not be able to re-activate it... that's the issue.

The restore itself does not require the internet... but to re-activate the phone after the restore is complete you would need the internet.
mcmanus7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:52 PM   #3
Cynikal.Mindset
macrumors 6502a

you need internet to restore the phone as iTunes contacts apple servers to check eligibility of firmware update etc
Cynikal.Mindset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:58 PM   #4
bobbyroller
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynikal.Mindset View Post
you need internet to restore the phone as iTunes contacts apple servers to check eligibility of firmware update etc
Thanks that all I needed to know. I thought you could downgrade this was because I was wondering how all the people without Internet will be able to restore or "downgrade" their I4.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:03 AM   #5
crawfish963
macrumors 6502

Just stroll to a wi-fi hotspot. If it's not a laptop, take it to a friend's house. You could also, in theory, restore it and activate it on another computer with iTunes.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:38 AM   #6
Cynikal.Mindset
macrumors 6502a

Apple changed the way you do firmware restores/updates etc where now you need to have an internet connection. I think they did this when the 3G came out. With the original iPhone you could just restore and/or upgrade from the file saved on your computer without internet connection. So, if you are on a trip somewhere and wont have access to a computer with internet access/iTunes try not to mess around too much to a point that a restore is needed cuz you'll end up with a brick until you can get to a computer with net access and iTunes.
Cynikal.Mindset is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting