Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 03:24 AM   #1
kottkerock
macrumors newbie

Trying to determine fair market value...

I've got a 2007/2008 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo macbook pro

2GB ram

upgraded 256MB NVIDIA graphics card.

I'm trying to determine the value of this system...i've found several sites that will give a number, but none that can factor in the upgraded graphics card on this unit.

It has a BRAND NEW logicboard, replaced last month under my apple care which has expired this week.

Looking for advice on what I may be able to get for this, i'm planning on using the money to upgrade to a new imac, as i'm tired of having a laptop attached to my hip!

any advice is welcome.
kottkerock is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2010, 04:01 AM   #2
bodgerx
macrumors newbie

www.mac2sell.net/
bodgerx is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:01 AM   #3
Sdashiki
macrumors 68040

Not much beyond $800 when you consider a refurb of a newer model is under $1000.

Like Polaroid?
Sdashiki is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:22 AM   #4
fcortese
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgerx View Post
+1 This site helped me get full market value price for my 2 yr old MBP I just sold.
fcortese is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:40 AM   #5
kottkerock
macrumors newbie

Thanks, I've checked out mac2sell before, it puts my system @ $850

what i'm really trying to determine is what the increase in value is for the upgraded graphics card? It cost me $500 to have it upgraded and is still the base unit they're using in brand new systems...

any thoughts?
Old Aug 25, 2010, 11:50 AM   #6
Bobioden
macrumors 65816

What graphics card did you upgrade it to? I had the same MBP as you and Apple had to replace my logic board 3 times. The failed nVidia 8600 card is attached to the logic board so that was also replaced. Is this a different upgrade than what you had done?
iPad Mini Retina 32GB Gray
Bobioden is offline   0
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:18 PM   #7
kottkerock
macrumors newbie

I have the GeForce 8600M GT. The logic board replacement was a startup issue. Didn't seem to be graphics related at all.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:40 PM   #8
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by kottkerock View Post
I have the GeForce 8600M GT. The logic board replacement was a startup issue. Didn't seem to be graphics related at all.
Since they all have the same GPU, I don't see what the upgrade is…
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:59 PM   #9
kottkerock
macrumors newbie

man...it's been a few years...trying to remember why i felt so compelled to spend that extra dough...

I'm pretty sure that the model MBP I bought didn't have the 256mb graphics card, but a 125mb or somewhere around there. I'm a gamer so I wanted to spring for the upgrade. It's not much of an upgrade now, but it's still solid.

I'm not sure, but they may have been including this card on the top end MBP back then too.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 01:38 PM   #10
dacapo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kottkerock View Post
man...it's been a few years...trying to remember why i felt so compelled to spend that extra dough...

I'm pretty sure that the model MBP I bought didn't have the 256mb graphics card, but a 125mb or somewhere around there. I'm a gamer so I wanted to spring for the upgrade. It's not much of an upgrade now, but it's still solid.

I'm not sure, but they may have been including this card on the top end MBP back then too.
Sorry for going tangential, but I've wondered about this question:

What are the best ways to maximize resale value on an MBP?

[My reason for asking: Normally, I take it as a given that laptops are commodities with high market value depreciation. But of course, Macs are an exception to the rule. They consistently tend to fetch relatively high resale values than other similarly spec-ed laptops. With other laptops I pretty much think that I'll use the thing till I can't run the latest programs and either toss them, give it away or have them sit in a closet somewhere. But with Macs, there seems to be a very viable second hand market.]
dacapo is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland