Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
So I’m gonna be buying a new iPod Touch to replace my broken 2G after they update them next week. In the past, I’ve bought from apple.com to get the free engraving (name & phone number, just in case I lose it and whoever finds it is nice). But I have noticed that you can get over $50 off the biggest size on Amazon. Even going to an Apple Store I could get $40 off bringing in my busted 2G. But it doesn’t seem that there’s any way to get both these discounts and the engravings (unless I’m missing something). So what other advantages would I get by buying from apple.com? Convince me! I’d love to have the engraving, but not if I’m paying an extra $50 for it.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Typically, right after a refresh, you're not going to find Amazon (or anyone else) selling the new model for $50 cheaper than Apple does.

AFAIK, apple.com is the only place to get it officially engraved.

May 8, 2008
So I’m gonna be buying a new iPod Touch to replace my broken 2G after they update them next week. In the past, I’ve bought from apple.com to get the free engraving (name & phone number, just in case I lose it and whoever finds it is nice). But I have noticed that you can get over $50 off the biggest size on Amazon. Even going to an Apple Store I could get $40 off bringing in my busted 2G. But it doesn’t seem that there’s any way to get both these discounts and the engravings (unless I’m missing something). So what other advantages would I get by buying from apple.com? Convince me! I’d love to have the engraving, but not if I’m paying an extra $50 for it.

There's no tangible benefit aside from the possibility of student pricing (do they even do that any more, or ever, on iPods?) You'll get the same warranty regardless of where you buy it. (.com, Bestbuy, Amazon, etc...)

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Typically, right after a refresh, you're not going to find Amazon (or anyone else) selling the new model for $50 cheaper than Apple does.

AFAIK, apple.com is the only place to get it officially engraved.

You’re probably right. But what about the 10% discount in-store through the recycling program?

There's no tangible benefit aside from the possibility of student pricing (do they even do that any more, or ever, on iPods?) You'll get the same warranty regardless of where you buy it. (.com, Bestbuy, Amazon, etc...)

Nah no student pricing on the iPods. I think you’d be able to get that in-store anyway, I did with my MBP.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Let me turn this around. Advantages from buying from bestbuy?

They don’t look into damages at all. If you have an extended warranty (50 bucks for two years; covers everything) and walk in with a smashed screen, they will just look at it and give you a new one. They didn’t even require the power cord or headphones. AFAIK, Apple checks it out before handing over a new one.

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Let me turn this around. Advantages from buying from bestbuy?

They don’t look into damages at all. If you have an extended warranty (50 bucks for two years; covers everything) and walk in with a smashed screen, they will just look at it and give you a new one. They didn’t even require the power cord or headphones. AFAIK, Apple checks it out before handing over a new one.

That probably depends on your Best Buy. I’ve had them open up the box on my new one and remove all the packaging and accessories, only giving me the iPod itself, since that’s all I brought in. It was lame.

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
You’re probably right. But what about the 10% discount in-store through the recycling program?

Does this program have a limit of one? Obviously they won't give a new ipod touch just because you hand over a pile of scrap ipods. Also, does this ipod need to be in working condition?

devburke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Does this program have a limit of one? Obviously they won't give a new ipod touch just because you hand over a pile of scrap ipods. Also, does this ipod need to be in working condition?

I imagine it has a limit of one. All it says on http://www.apple.com/recycling/ipod-cell-phone/ is

Bring your old iPod to an Apple Retail Store and receive a 10 percent discount on the purchase of a new iPod.*

…

*10 percent discount does not apply to iPod shuffle.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Limit one per transaction, it can't be a shuffle, and it doesn't have to be working. It does need to be in one physical piece and not leaking any battery goo. Plan to add an extra 10-15 minutes to your visit when doing this "recycle", there is a form that needs to be filled out, and it takes a little longer to ring the transaction through. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.