Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

autumnmike

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
yeah, i just caught that. here's my guess. apple tv is getting apps as everyone says. and elan is going to be at the apple event stage demoing the plex app for apple tv.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
yeah, i just caught that. here's my guess. apple tv is getting apps as everyone says. and elan is going to be at the apple event stage demoing the plex app for apple tv.

Hahaha.

That would be quite amazing. But seriously, do you have any idea what Plex is? It plays every format under the sun...very very well.

autumnmike

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
Hahaha.

That would be quite amazing. But seriously, do you have any idea what Plex is? It plays every format under the sun...very very well.

yup, i do. yeah. its pretty far fetch'd for apple to allow a different media player on one of there ios devices. but hell, if they want to sell the itv, they should.

andd.....

maybe they'll finally release the iphone netflix app. seriously wtf???

realph

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007

I was thinking the exact same thing, either that or Apple have bought Plex and plan on rebranding it.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I think that the plex guys are just rolling on all the Apple hype that is coming up. I think the september 1st keynote is going to be about iTunes streaming and iPods, due to the guitar on the invitation.

Could be awesome though, if Apple is joining Plex development, and announce it is the new front end for iTV. ;)

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
I have to say, i gave up on plex about 18 months ago.

Partially because it was far inferior to XBMC, and Boxee's beta was just around the corner.

But mostly i found out about Plex's cavaleer attitude toward's XBMC's code, picking and taking what they need, and hardly contributing anything back to the project.

I guess that sort of stuff matters to me as a geek, so, a little urge to you to all to stop plugging Plex so inceccently, and give XBMC or Boxee (who play far more nicely with XBMC) a shot.

Markusp

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
I believe Plex 9 actually is the first real step taken by the developers to move away from the XBMC source code. It looks like the general interface remains the same but the back end funtionality is now completely different.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
I am not a big fan of Plex.. and even less so of running a Media Center frontend on a full-blown computer.

Nonetheless, a Plex frontend for iTV in a form of an iOS app would be interesting. Of course chances of Apple allowing that to happen are somewhere between zero and nil ;)

rev316

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2004
Running OS X on a HPTC straight up is just annoying, and unintentional. It's great news to hear Plex is re-amping the already awesome media center.

It's also great news Apple has finally got'n around into caring about the hobby; but I'd rather put my eggs in the Plex basket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.